ATC SCM 11 on home demo - thoughts

DomT

11 minutes ago, Kubs said:

All you need to do now is upgrade to Tidal or Qobuz ...

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Ahem emoji846.png

I knew that I had to try my Auralic but it’s great that you also pointed it out just in case. 

Given that there are people who say use an iPad or a laptop as streamers don’t make a difference I really was expecting something more from the Mac especially as I was using Audirvana and these were properly ripped using a good ripper and proper software not iTunes. 

24 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

That sounds more promising from an ATC perspective. They were just doing their job and highlighting a poor quality Source streaming lower resolution music.

Sure you are right. But I feel like I was trying to cut the grass with scissors and had hoped that someone would have said don’t bother until your lawn mower arrives….😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, DomT said:

Sure you are right. But I feel like I was trying to cut the grass with scissors and had hoped that someone would have said don’t bother until your lawn mower arrives….😂😂😂

You were, in fact, cooking with substandard ingredients. :geek:

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
49 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Ahem emoji846.png

Yes, we did notice, and well done for pointing it out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomT said:

Given that we have the same DAC you should at least listen to some sort of streamer as the difference is so huge that I have literally just wasted three full days of my time. 

That's sounds like a plan. When I get more time I'll definitely do so.

I knew that I had to try my Auralic but it’s great that you also pointed it out just in case. 

Given that there are people who say use an iPad or a laptop as streamers don’t make a difference I really was expecting something more from the Mac especially as I was using Audirvana and these were properly ripped using a good ripper and proper software not iTunes. 
I got into streaming 10 years ago and I used a squeeze box touch with a Nas drive containing cd rips in flac. To me the system sounded great.

Over the years I've used a lap top, direct link from Nas drive to DAC and a Chromecast .... the sound being produced was ok but not amazing and nowhere near the output it should be exhibiting based on the cost of the whole system. It wasn't easeful or relaxing or enjoyable .... Something was missing. I think I was drawn more to the convenience of streaming ....

Using the minidsp as a streamer only made a huge difference (Dirac is an added bonus).

So in summary, IME streamers help in the delivery of your music and keeps interferences at bay.

Those using a laptop should try a dedicated streamer .... You may be surprised ....

• Like 2

I went to a bake-off that featured ATC 11's with a Hegel amp as a combination that the owner had paid in the region of £4500.

In terms of the musical performance it was deeply disappointing for the price. The owner sold them soon after the bake-off.

The ATC 11's suffered from a crude sounding midrange that gave a coarse representation of the instruments that were being played. They were also flat and boring to listen to, due to them smoothing off transients too much. Whilst speakers can't inject emotion into music, ones like the ATC 11's don't half suck the life out of the music.

The bass was so recessed for bass drums and bass guitars that I wouldn't consider them as speakers for serious listening of pop or rock or full orchestral music on, unless they were used with 1 or 2 subs.

ATC speakers start getting good from the 50 model upwards. The only issue being that it's difficult to nigh on impossible finding a pair of their speakers from the upper end of their range at competitive prices - when it comes to the sound quality for the £ spent.

In terms of after sales support, ATC have an excellent reputation.

But then well engineered speakers tend to be reliable and very long lasting items, so it's highly debatable as to how important long term support from the manufacturer is.

21 hours ago, DomT said:

I have never had to work so hard to get a speaker dialled in but it’s worth doing. At least with a speaker there are tweaks that can be done.

When people on here are really passionate about a bit of kit those of us who do a demo really need to try hard to find out what is special about said kit otherwise what’s the point of being on here. We have a great bunch of people with some great experience. 

From a Philosophical point of view, my approach and thinking is quite different from yours. I felt it was more important to find a speaker that worked easily in my room and sounded really good without any tweaking.  To use your Barista example, I find a bean I like a lot and can drink it in my machine at various temps and pressures or even in the French press and it always tastes good.

Based on your description of the ATC, I would have given up after the weekend if not sooner.  If it requires cable changing and amp questioning that's too much for me.  The Spendor and even the LS50 both sound good with all the amps and cables and sources I've had on here as the speakers make the most difference to my sound.  

WIth all that said, I do understand you need a front ported or sealed box design.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChemMan said:

From a Philosophical point of view, my approach and thinking is quite different from yours. I felt it was more important to find a speaker that worked easily in my room and sounded really good without any tweaking.  To use your Barista example, I find a bean I like a lot and can drink it in my machine at various temps and pressures or even in the French press and it always tastes good.

Based on your description of the ATC, I would have given up after the weekend if not sooner.  If it requires cable changing and amp questioning that's too much for me.  The Spendor and even the LS50 both sound good with all the amps and cables and sources I've had on here as the speakers make the most difference to my sound.  

WIth all that said, I do understand you need a front ported or sealed box design.

Steve your approach of choose a speaker and then get everything else to fit is exactly the right way to do it. But I am just in a temporary place right now and trying to second guess the very short short-list that I might like. It’s a surprise that there isn’t more available to me. At least here in the UK I can do a home demo. 

It has occurred to me that the newer version of the Harbeth M30 might have some of the ATC’s transparency traits whilst retaining a more ‘human’ sound.  Anyway I learned a few things about speaker stands, cables and digital front ends so it’s not all been wasted.

I know that you like the LS50 andI owned it for a year. I found it to be it a lot less transparent than my Harbeth SHL5 and also given that it likes space am reluctant to go back there. I had forgotten about Spendor and will see if they do a box about the same size as the ATC 11. 

1 minute ago, DomT said:

I had forgotten about Spendor and will see if they do a box about the same size as the ATC 11. 

I liked your SHL5+ a lot. I was much less impressed with the M 30.1.    Spendor classic has a sealed 3/1, a front ported 2/3 and a sealed 4/5. (not cheap these guys). They also have the more modern A 1.

Sonus Faber has the Sonetto 1 and 2 which are not rear ported. I like the sound of SF, but only heard the Olympica range.

Spendor's 3/1 is rear ported, so it's only the 4/5 that is sealed from the classic line (until you get to the 100).

The 2/3 is front ported, although it's a big speaker! 

3/1 could work for you, but I found they needed a fair bit of space around them. Could be worth a try though, alongside the Harbeth 30.1 / 30.2. 

14 minutes ago, dave6v said:

Spendor's 3/1 is rear ported

I rolled the dice as I was just looking at the photo of the front because the Spendor website offers no easy to find info on porting.  Thanks for keeping me honest.

2 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I rolled the dice as I was just looking at the photo of the front because the Spendor website offers no easy to find info on porting.  Thanks for keeping me honest.

No worries :) agreed, Spendor could be a bit more informative in their literature I think. 

As for placement / needing room to breath, Hifi Choice's view is that the 3/1's are easy to place, despite the port:

https://www.spendoraudio.com/spendor-classic-3-1-hifi-choice/

So may be ok. 

11 minutes ago, dave6v said:

No worries :) agreed, Spendor could be a bit more informative in their literature I think. 

As for placement / needing room to breath, Hifi Choice's view is that the 3/1's are easy to place, despite the port:

https://www.spendoraudio.com/spendor-classic-3-1-hifi-choice/

So may be ok. 

Thanks @ChemMan for reminding me about Spendor and @dave6v for the link to the Group test