Linn Espek active configuration links

igor_tarasoff

That’s right. From the ninka days I remember it being that the outside card needs to correspond to the function you plan to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Can someone explain how the config card actually work?

I have been considering upgrading my Aktiv Keileidhs to Aktiv Espek and I am confused about what is going on here. The Keileidhs required internal modification. I understand the Espeks do not. Are the cards just a visual guide or is there some form of electical connections built in? Thanks

Robbie

Hi - I suspected they were just a visual guide back when I had Espeks, as different configurations meant using different connectors. However, the manual seems to suggest there’s circuitry:-

Mick

189CD923-1D1C-426B-800B-9E8EA35D5A0A.jpeg

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, robbiegrant said:

Hello.

Can someone explain how the config card actually work?

I have been considering upgrading my Aktiv Keileidhs to Aktiv Espek and I am confused about what is going on here. The Keileidhs required internal modification. I understand the Espeks do not. Are the cards just a visual guide or is there some form of electical connections built in? Thanks

Robbie

The internal passive crossovers have multiple connections.  The external cards that are swapped around to change the configurations have a printed circuit board inside that changes which of the passive crossover connections are "bridged".  The external cards are passive (no components) but they are a fundamental part of the circuitry/connections.  If you lay tham about 30 deg to the horizontal, you'll be able to see the tracks that create the connections.

• Like 2

`I've often wondered about whether the card acted as a guide or whether it was 'tracked'. The instruction is to lay the unwanted card below the selected card - do none of the printed tracks on the buried card interfere with the selected connectors then? I've never really paid any attention to the orientation of the buried card, but perhaps I should?

8 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

The internal passive crossovers have multiple connections.  The external cards that are swapped around to change the configurations have a printed circuit board inside that changes which of the passive crossover connections are "bridged".  The external cards are passive (no components) but they are a fundamental part of the circuitry/connections.  If you lay tham about 30 deg to the horizontal, you'll be able to see the tracks that create the connections.

This makes total sense. Thank you. 

Onwards in my search for a nice pair of Espeks and the associated Aktiv cards for my LK140's 

Thanks again

Robbie

14 hours ago, Dasher said:

`I've often wondered about whether the card acted as a guide or whether it was 'tracked'. The instruction is to lay the unwanted card below the selected card - do none of the printed tracks on the buried card interfere with the selected connectors then? I've never really paid any attention to the orientation of the buried card, but perhaps I should?

You need both the outer and inner cards to complete the circuits. I experimented with just one card and was rewarded with silence.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, robbiegrant said:

Onwards in my search for a nice pair of Espeks and the associated Aktiv cards for my LK140's 

I've had my Espeks now since around 2008 and have used quite a variety of amplification, passive and active, with them: Kairn+Klout passive bi-amped; AV5103+4200+2200 active; Kinos+KCT passive biwired; and now passive single wired with Lejonklou Boazu. My current configuration is much more musical than any of the other configurations I have lived with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petecallaghan said:

You need both the outer and inner cards to complete the circuits. I experimented with just one card and was rewarded with silence.  

Thanks! -  that is interesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petecallaghan said:

My current configuration is much more musical than any of the other configurations I have lived with. 

Yes, I once heard Espeks, passive, with a single Solo on each and they were stunning.

13 hours ago, petecallaghan said:

good tip