Jump to content

Stand mount mega shootout


DomT
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, DomT said:

No it’s not about rolled off treble. That was just something that I didn’t like about the 3020i. The richness and bass depth of the 3020i is great but it’s clearly not a destination speaker. 

The reason why the SHL5 have been removed from the lounge is due to their physical size in a small space. The M30 is not a lot smaller. The M30 potentially has ‘the sound’ but it’s really physically practically too big. I may end up just using the P3s in the lounge if I can’t find anything else. 

The thing with the Proacs was that they were great. But there was something missing. I will try the D2 as a bigger cabinet maybe give me what I want but still have a smallish’ profile for the lounge. 

Have you checked out the sizes of the Spender Classic range and considered the Q Acoustics Concept 300? You probably have, but I can't remember.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was picking up on what you said about size being an important consideration

Dom and wondered if you have any interest in Italian crafted designs from the

likes of Diapson and sonus faber Sonetto 1 and 11 standmounts.

The Diapson Karis are small beautifully crafted as are the bigger Adamantes.

Audiovector of Denmark offer the R1 signature stand mount .

Not heard any of these in the flesh but Kronosav.com stock them all.

Edited by hiesteem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

I was picking up on what you said about size being an important consideration

Dom and wondered if you have any interest in Italian crafted designs from the

likes of Diapson and sonus faber Sonetto 1 and 11 standmounts.

The Diapson Karis are small beautifully crafted as are the bigger Adamantes.

Audiovector of Denmark offer the R1 signature stand mount .

Not heard any of these in the flesh but Kronosav.com stock them all.

Diapason is a good shout.

Re Kronos - they are great to deal with, but I believe that much of what is displayed on the website is not in stock.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

I was picking up on what you said about size being an important consideration

Dom and wondered if you have any interest in Italian crafted designs from the

likes of Diapson and sonus faber Sonetto 1 and 11 standmounts.

The Diapson Karis are small beautifully crafted as are the bigger Adamantes.

Audiovector of Denmark offer the R1 signature stand mount .

Not heard any of these in the flesh but Kronosav.com stock them all.

Thanks for this. I have been agonising over the size vs sound but there is little point in getting a speaker that would occupy almost the same space as the exceptional SHL5 that’s in my store room. 

Fumnily enough I was reading about the Audiovector last night. They are apparently very revealing and need a warm sounding amp. I used to own a pair of Sonus Fabers. I have a local dealer who sells both and I will go and have a listen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Have you checked out the sizes of the Spender Classic range and considered the Q Acoustics Concept 300? You probably have, but I can't remember.

Thanks the Spendors are slimmer than expected so that was helpful. I have just read a Wam review saying that the bass can get in the way though. This is such a fine balancing act due to space etc. 

I did have a perverted thought though this morning; use my P3ESR with a tiny sub woofer. I had LS50s with a Rel T5 sub and heard ‘LS50s and a sub’ rather than a ‘more extended LS50’ even with only a tiny amount of sub volume. The same thing happened at a dealer. Maybe me and the dealer didn’t know how to set up a sub? Maybe I can just hear subs! The issue though is that I literally lack the space for a sub due to a having a load of furniture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have started a very specific thread about Rogers AB1 and Sterling Broadcast AB2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DomT said:

And the Proacs are on their way and on go the QAcoustics 3020i. Hmmm. Interesting. 

The 3020i have deeper bass and richer tone and all of a sudden Marvin Gaye sounds like he should. There is a rightness to the sound. But the treble is rolled off. On a lot of albums it’s rolled off too much but am thankful on a few tracks. Am I saying that the 3020i is better than the DB3? No. But a penny dropped. I need a richer tone from a loudspeaker.  

If Harbeth did a speaker a little bit bigger than the P3 with a slim profile I would buy it. Have been studying photos of our lounge and the M30s will be a little bit big. They are going to be placed either side of a beautiful fireplace and they need to look right. The thing is that most classic sounding speakers have a wide baffle. The Proac D2 seems to be the obvious Proac but I need to find a an alternative as well. 

If you want low- and sub-bass in a small box would definitely look into the Kef R3s. Or some actives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DomT said:

Thanks the Spendors are slimmer than expected so that was helpful. I have just read a Wam review saying that the bass can get in the way though. This is such a fine balancing act due to space etc. 

I did have a perverted thought though this morning; use my P3ESR with a tiny sub woofer. I had LS50s with a Rel T5 sub and heard ‘LS50s and a sub’ rather than a ‘more extended LS50’ even with only a tiny amount of sub volume. The same thing happened at a dealer. Maybe me and the dealer didn’t know how to set up a sub? Maybe I can just hear subs! The issue though is that I literally lack the space for a sub due to a having a load of furniture.

Yeah it's so difficult. I'd take my view of the Classic 3/1's with a pinch of salt though, as it was only in my particular room that I found the bass a bit overwhelming at times. Bear in mind I found the same to be true of Kef R3, Spendor A4 and Dynaudio Special 40s at times.

It may be a 4x4.5m room I'm in (i.e. not that small), but part of that is a bay window, chimney alcoves with built in wardrobes, and suspended wooden floors. None of that ideal for acoustics. 

It could be a different story in your room. I know @Art K has his Classic 3/1s in a much smaller room and has no issues with bass. 

Preference also plays a part too, as one person's overwhelming is another person's just right. 

Know what you mean about subs. Tried a REL t5i with my small Spendors and could never make it disappear, although I put that more down to me not persevering. Agreed on the clutter / faff / floorspace thing. Bigger speakers are the cleaner, more streamlined, albeit less flexible solution. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DomT said:

Thanks the Spendors are slimmer than expected so that was helpful. I have just read a Wam review saying that the bass can get in the way though. This is such a fine balancing act due to space etc. 

I did have a perverted thought though this morning; use my P3ESR with a tiny sub woofer. I had LS50s with a Rel T5 sub and heard ‘LS50s and a sub’ rather than a ‘more extended LS50’ even with only a tiny amount of sub volume. The same thing happened at a dealer. Maybe me and the dealer didn’t know how to set up a sub? Maybe I can just hear subs! The issue though is that I literally lack the space for a sub due to a having a load of furniture.

The Kef KC62 is tiny (around 10" square). I don't think it applies to you, but if paired with the Wireless 2, can be used with the wireless module, allowing it to be put anywhere.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

Diapason is a good shout.

Re Kronos - they are great to deal with, but I believe that much of what is displayed on the website is not in stock.

Yes, they are beautifully crafted in very generous solid wooden cabinets. They seem to do that trick of disappearing behind a well spread soundstage. 

Kronos do seem to deal with some nice  designs from other countries.  I like the YBA integrateds plenty of power and sound quality, at reasonable cost. Good to know they are positive to deal with, even if they don't stock everything on their site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DomT said:

Thanks for this. I have been agonising over the size vs sound but there is little point in getting a speaker that would occupy almost the same space as the exceptional SHL5 that’s in my store room. 

Fumnily enough I was reading about the Audiovector last night. They are apparently very revealing and need a warm sounding amp. I used to own a pair of Sonus Fabers. I have a local dealer who sells both and I will go and have a listen. 

Yes, I agree. I feel  we have to use a bit of discernment when choosing speakers. As you well know, they will drive the room. Lovely choice to have though, and might be a rewarding experience in the end, perhaps giving a different type of listening experience.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dave6v said:

Yeah it's so difficult. I'd take my view of the Classic 3/1's with a pinch of salt though, as it was only in my particular room that I found the bass a bit overwhelming at times. Bear in mind I found the same to be true of Kef R3, Spendor A4 and Dynaudio Special 40s at times.

It may be a 4x4.5m room I'm in (i.e. not that small), but part of that is a bay window, chimney alcoves with built in wardrobes, and suspended wooden floors. None of that ideal for acoustics. 

It could be a different story in your room. I know @Art K has his Classic 3/1s in a much smaller room and has no issues with bass. 

Preference also plays a part too, as one person's overwhelming is another person's just right. 

Know what you mean about subs. Tried a REL t5i with my small Spendors and could never make it disappear, although I put that more down to me not persevering. Agreed on the clutter / faff / floorspace thing. Bigger speakers are the cleaner, more streamlined, albeit less flexible solution. 

Thanks for responding. It was indeed your detailed and interesting review that I read. The good news is that we don’t have a suspended floor. I will see if I can get to hear the Spendors. It’s becoming tricky as it means long drives and dealing with more than one dealer which seems unfair to them but I suppose that it’s not possible to stock everything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tuga said:

If you want low- and sub-bass in a small box would definitely look into the Kef R3s. Or some actives.

I don’t want sub bass just more than the Dab3s put out and the 3020i bass is just about enough. Would rather have clean bass than bloated or boomy bass and I have a bass node problem in my room. 

Out of interest what is it that you think that an active speaker can do that a passive cannot? Physics counts. A five inch cone is a five inch cone. A passive cabinet of x size is the same as an active cabinet of x size. If you are thinking about tone controls well amplifiers have these too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DomT said:

Out of interest what is it that you think that an active speaker can do that a passive cannot? Physics counts. A five inch cone is a five inch cone. A passive cabinet of x size is the same as an active cabinet of x size. If you are thinking about tone controls well amplifiers have these too. 

Only talking about the LS50 - the Active version is much more adjustable - and has a bass that is even deeper and punchier, depending on EQ settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

Just wait until you have tried the D2’s but you still need to do a comparison between DB3 and 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...