Stand mount mega shootout

DomT

Will be interesting to see where your discoveries lead. Good write up on the listening you've done so far. 

From what you've said, it sounds like the Proac D2R may be worth a listen, Spendor 3/1 if there are any nearby, and maybe a home demo of the Harbeth 30.2 if it showed enough promise at the store. Dynaudio special 40 too. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, DomT said:

Don’t really have one but would think that I should be able to get what I want for under £4K quite easily; but don’t honk that I need to spend that.

At the same dealer I heard £7k Marten’s but they needed more space. At same dealers I heard a pair of £6k Sonus Fabera sounding very bright and surprisingly horrible. 

I’m going to be honest and say that I’ve always been underwhelmed by the bass in Accuphase and Luxman unless you use the loudness feature which with the Harbeths, made a difference but why should I need to do that? Mids and highs were glorious though. Having tried many options over the years, I’m convinced you can achieve what your looking for at considerably less money. 
why complicate your mission by introducing another amp? Synergy is paramount. I’m quite torn between my Sugden and the Primaluna/Copland amplification but there is a new for new price difference of 2k !! I got the Primaluna and Copland second hand for under the cost of the Sugden but the Sugden has no right to sound as good as it does. If your adamant the D1’s won’t do it for you, yes, try the D2 but I’m in favour of the dome tweeter rather than the ribbon. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, DomT said:

The speakers need to be close to the wall and so it counts out your Revels.

Own Harbeth, Neumann, have owned WB Arcs and Curves and SF Electa Amator II. All have met differing needs. All have needed correct partnering. 

At the dealers the P3ESR, Martens, Dali’s and Rogers lasted less than ten minutes each because it was obvious that they were not right. Serious extended listening was with the three speakers outlined above.

Might be the Harbeth M30.2 is going to be the best compromise then?  Quite a few folks seem to like them with Accuphase, but most followers of Alan Shaw are certain that all amplifiers sound the same as long as they’re solid-state and over £1,000!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’m going to be honest and say that I’ve always been underwhelmed by the bass in Accuphase and Luxman unless you use the loudness feature which with the Harbeths, made a difference but why should I need to do that? Mids and highs were glorious though. Having tried many options over the years, I’m convinced you can achieve what your looking for at considerably less money. 
why complicate your mission by introducing another amp? Synergy is paramount. I’m quite torn between my Sugden and the Primaluna/Copland amplification but there is a new for new price difference of 2k !! I got the Primaluna and Copland second hand for under the cost of the Sugden but the Sugden has no right to sound as good as it does. If your adamant the D1’s won’t do it for you, yes, try the D2 but I’m in favour of the dome tweeter rather than the ribbon. 

I also found the same with the Luxman 505 that I had at home but it was better than this Accuphase. There are things to really like about it but maybe not with my target speakers. Sounded great at low volume late at night with loudness button but that’s an awful lot of money for what it does. Build quality seems no better than Marantz despite price differences. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Another heads up for Dynaudio Special 40s. Heard a pair quite recently at a dealer - very impressed. Can be had 2nd hand for under £2k. There is a pair on PFM I think, in a high gloss finish. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Might be the Harbeth M30.2 is going to be the best compromise then?  Quite a few folks seem to like them with Accuphase, but most followers of Alan Shaw are certain that all amplifiers sound the same as long as they’re solid-state and over £1,000!  

Not sure if the M30.2 XD might be too much in the mid range and wondering how much more forward sounding it is over the M30.1; and also if the bass is any different. 

Side thought. Does it definitely have to be standmount, or would a smaller floorstander be possible? Might be less compromised...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marko said:

Another heads up for Dynaudio Special 40s. Heard a pair quite recently at a dealer - very impressed. Can be had 2nd hand for under £2k. There is a pair on PFM I think, in a high gloss finish. 

I think that they need a lot of room though don’t they? My speakers need to go close to the wall but away from corners. 

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, marko said:

If you considered this route Dom, @HouseElfis your man. He is using these with Accuphase 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rabski said:

Side thought. Does it definitely have to be standmount, or would a smaller floorstander be possible? Might be less compromised...

That’s a great question. As I need a physically small speaker a) for visual appeal and b) because they need to be moved on an almost weekly basis for family gatherings at weekends and c) close wall placement, I had discounted floor-standers. 

Lastly I had assumed, maybe wrongly, that such as small floorstander would not sound as good as a high quality stand mount. Happy for someone to tell me that I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, DomT said:

I have been a Neumann active user more several years. Not looking for actives thanks. 

Shame.  If you decided the ATCs were the speaker for you, you could get a very similar sounding active speaker with built in dac and pre (analogue and digital inputs) for peanuts.  Very similar sounding, but without the fatigue.

1 hour ago, marko said:

Have you tried AN E’s or J’s in your current home? Not too sure whether K’s would satisfy in the bass department - not very much of it! 

This is a great question. Does it have more, same or less bass than the Proac DB3?

6 minutes ago, jumpmonkey said:

Shame.  If you decided the ATCs were the speaker for you, you could get a very similar sounding active speaker with built in dac and pre (analogue and digital inputs) for peanuts.  Very similar sounding, but without the fatigue.

I have over 25 years experience of using studio active monitors and it’s not the route that I want to go down. There are plenty that are fatiguing but thankfully not Neumanns. Great for mixing, not so much for tracking, and not for listening to music.

Edited by DomT
Pressed send too soon

59 minutes ago, dave6v said:

Will be interesting to see where your discoveries lead. Good write up on the listening you've done so far. 

From what you've said, it sounds like the Proac D2R may be worth a listen, Spendor 3/1 if there are any nearby, and maybe a home demo of the Harbeth 30.2 if it showed enough promise at the store. Dynaudio special 40 too. 

or the d2 dome . beautiful speaker 

Edited by hifinutt
  • Like 1

I think I now have part of the answers for reducing the edginess of ‘monitor’ type speakers. My Innuos power supply arrived this morning and I also had already added a Wave Stream Premium digital interconnect and both of these two items have lowered ‘digital hash’ and the sound is smoother and more organic sounding. ‘Hot’ recordings are now much more tolerable.