Stand mount mega shootout

DomT

1 hour ago, DomT said:

Why are you responding to my comment  telling me that “too many people buy on reviews alone”? Didn’t I just explain the whole comparative and exhausting listening process that I went through? Or is it that you think I just read some review and listened for a laugh and bought the speakers anyway? 😂😂😂

It was a generalisation statement and it’s true, if people buy on reviews alone like the ATC, put them on an exciting amp, they will be disappointed. I was stating this and only this. 
I thought you were happy with the ARC kit and was surprised that you then put an Accuphase into the equation which has a very different presentation to ARC. 

I think you basically jumped to conclusions with my answers but I think you know me well enough that I’m not like that 👍🏻

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

It was a generalisation statement and it’s true, if people buy on reviews alone like the ATC, put them on an exciting amp, they will be disappointed. I was stating this and only this. 
I thought you were happy with the ARC kit and was surprised that you then put an Accuphase into the equation which has a very different presentation to ARC. 

I think you basically jumped to conclusions with my answers but I think you know me well enough that I’m not like that 👍🏻

Hi J, no, I was a little confused as you are not like that. I am building two systems. The ARC is for the studio and I am thinking about upgrading the Marantz and have been quite taken by the Accuphase that has a very valve-like richness to its presentation but has drive and immense resolution compared to everything else that I am listening to.

I have just finished listening to a Linn streamer (£3k) and Krell amp (£9k) with ATC SCM 19 at my local dealer and it sounded great but will stick with Accuphase for now as it seemed further ahead. 

And I have agreed to buy the demo SCM11.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

The review also goes on to say that the resistance is pretty consistent and that the D2’s are well engineered speakers .. just like my ears. Reviews can say whatever but ultimately it’s you that decides

I was actually quoting their measurements section rather than the subjective review;  but you are right we make our own choices. 

2 hours ago, DomT said:

I have just finished listening to a Linn streamer (£3k) and Krell amp (£9k) with ATC SCM 19 at my local dealer and it sounded great but will stick with Accuphase for now as it seemed further ahead. 

And I have agreed to buy the demo SCM11.

I’m relieved in a funny sort of way that you’ve come to like the ATCs, or at least respect them in the end.  I’d recognise that they aren’t necessarily lovable in the way that my old Sonus fabers were, but they do such a good job it’s hard not to like and admire them.  (When I auditioned the SCM40 versus other £3k speakers they were the ones without any idiosyncrasies, though the ProAc D20r were close in some areas). I also didn’t think much of the grilles at first, but they do physically protect the drivers, unlike a bit of stretchy cloth. And I’ve grown to like the slightly industrial look!

You’ve probably highlighted why not everyone gets on with ATC, because they don’t make a silk purse from anything.  But overall they are about as balanced a sound as you can get for the outlay, and probably more transparent than almost anything similar.  

Edited by Nopiano
Typo
  • Like 3

Nice write up Dom.   I think you are on the money in may regards, here:  the ATC sounds like a very neutral chameleon and this is my experience as well albeit using the SCM40.  

I'm surprised to hear you say the Hegel 390 sounded coloured. The 190 certainly has a darker sound, but I found the 390 to be an exceptional amp whilst the Accuphase 280 or its' immediate predecessor, was slightly too polite for me.  I have not heard the 380 however. When a think of "tonally rich" my mind wanders toward the "microwave."

The ribbon tweeter on the Proac D30rs is quite possibly the nicest I heard in my testing.  Even now i remember the liquidity of the strings section.  Midrange-wise I felt it was somewhat warm.  

You've done well, made a nice purchase on the demo, and I'd say you are now the definitive authority on standmounts. Mind you, you did skip the Kefs and Dynaudios.  :)

Cheers Brother

Chem

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Nice write up Dom.   I think you are on the money in may regards, here:  the ATC sounds like a very neutral chameleon and this is my experience as well albeit using the SCM40.  

I'm surprised to hear you say the Hegel 390 sounded coloured. The 190 certainly has a darker sound, but I found the 390 to be an exceptional amp whilst the Accuphase 280 or its' immediate predecessor, was slightly too polite for me.  I have not heard the 380 however. When a think of "tonally rich" my mind wanders toward the "microwave."

The ribbon tweeter on the Proac D30rs is quite possibly the nicest I heard in my testing.  Even now i remember the liquidity of the strings section.  Midrange-wise I felt it was somewhat warm.  

You've done well, made a nice purchase on the demo, and I'd say you are now the definitive authority on standmounts. Mind you, you did skip the Kefs and Dynaudios.  :)

Cheers Brother

Chem

Hi Steve

I was being a little playful saying that the Hegel sounded coloured; I said that it was coloured for being less coloured than the Accuphase; I hoped that would have made you smile when you read it. 

I was careful to say that these were comparisons based on a specific signal path and that other conclusions would be reached in another system and room. It was good to test the impact of different amps on the ATCs though. There is no doubt that the Accuphase is more gentle in presentation than the Hegel and that as an American that there is no way that you would like it 😂😂😂. If I find when the ATCs arrive in Portugal that they need a little more bass then I know that the Hegel can do this. After all of our discussions I would have done you a disservice not to have listened to it!

On the speaker front there were only so many that I could get to. The dealer had Kefs but said that they would not take me where I wanted to go and so they were dismissed. One day I shall get to hear the Dynaudios. Dynaudios were my favourite studio active monitor 20 years ago. Had either the DB1 or DB2 had bass more to my liking then it would have been a really difficult choice. Fortunately I had a very clear brief and anything that didn’t fit it had to be dismissed. In another situation different decisions.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that the write up was informative and useful to others. This forum is such a great source of info but there are many people who have listened to and understand much more about this hobby than me. 

Take care brother. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DomT said:

I was careful to say that these were comparisons based on a specific signal path and that other conclusions would be reached in another system and room. It was good to test the impact of different amps on the ATCs though

Yes, very true, and the great thing about the ATC you get to hear exactly what's earlier on in the chain.  The open window so to speak. The forum seems to have really come to embrace these aspects of which you speak:  the chain, the room, the listener.    I think if I'd understood speaker measurements like @tuga does, I'd have demoed a lot fewer speakers.  On the other hand, I'd have a lot less to write about then.  :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Did you see this review and his comparison with other speakers at this price point?

9 hours ago, TIU said:

Did you see this review and his comparison with other speakers at this price point?

No I hadn’t. I wasn’t even looking for ATC. I went to talk to my local dealer about Fine Audio and he said listen to these ATCs, I was blown away, and my journey started from there. 

I wasn’t sure why you had told me about the video after I had made my decision so I watched it. His findings are similar to mine so maybe you wanted to reassure me that I made the right choice? Don’t worry I know what I am doing when it comes to musical decisions but thanks anyway. 👍

Last night I remembered that review and his '10 of BEST HiFi SPEAKERS COMPARED! Costing Under £1300'  series and thought someone had probably posted it previously so I scanned through 20-odd pages and didn't see it. There is nothing underhand going on here. I thought you would want to view it. I am puzzled about you not getting on with the SCM11 and then doing a complete u-turn the day after. Here's some quotes from 21st July:

Short version they are not for me but I understand why some people might like them. For me they were a 6/10 but others will undoubtedly score them differently.

A few words to sum up the ATC SCM11: Control. Matter of fact. Uptight. Fatiguing. Frustrating. Occasionally great sounding. Not bright. Midrange detail. Limited bass depth and punch. Take care with partnering equipment. 

Just a quick update to say that I was maybe writing too much about the negative side of the ATC and that now that I have been out and come back with fresh ears they are not a 6/10 but a 7/10. They still are not doing it for me.