kazoo crashes on old mac mini

Hi, since years (since 2010-2011) I am using a mac mini with miniserver installed on it and a usb harddisk containing my music. 

My mac mini, my adsm (now katalist) are both connected to a netgear switch, which is connected in a powerplug.

Since years I am using this configuration. However last two year are so I noticed every time there was an apple update the mac mini went slower. Now I has been quite a time I listened to my music but the last days I had time for it. However It seems to be impossible with that mac, kazoo crashes everytime, and the adsm indicates there is a 'network problem".

Now, I think I have to renew my mac mini. Are there other users with similar experiences. My question about this is, kazoo etc is'nt more powerful then years ago. Nothing changed, except the mac mini that became slower en slower ... .  Same experiences here ?

Posted (edited)

I run JRiver Media Centre’s network media server on a 2012 Mac mini and use the Linn app for iOS to play music through my ADSM (lounge) and MSDM (bedroom). It is running the latest version of Catalina. It has 8Mb RAM and 256 GB SSD. My music files are on Thunderbolt Attached Storage (TSS). The Mac and Linn devices connect to my home network (Ethernet). Whilst I can agree it is not as fast as when new, it has not slowed significantly. I do not use anything like HomePlugs. The Mac and TAS connect to an inline UPS so effectively run from a battery rather than my dodgy mains. 

When I installed Catalina I reformatted the SSD and made a bootable USB stick to setup the new OS I do not run any applications other than JRiver MC.  I turn off any function I don’t think I’ll use. I haven’t thought to replace it at this time. 

When you upgrade do you do a clean install? 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1

My old mini started having issues with one HDD. I see your music is on an external drive but perhaps running Disc Utility on the system disc and then some disc repair options might reveal/improve things.

Lots of people out there who’d pay for the corpse whatever happens.

• Like 1