Thinking of a Streamer - Whats good?

Trizza

13 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi @Trizza,

Yes, the Allo is quite costly, a much cheaper option is :

https://www.hifiberry.com/digis/

Using optical output, decouples the electrical interface to your preferred DAC (as per other thread statement), and the DAC of your choice will reclock the data,so jitter will not be a problem.

Regards,

Shadders.

It sounds like s***e though, so you pays your moneys etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Please don't hold back . . . . . :^:D

You gotta be honest these days otherwise people are gonna carry on burning their ears with utter tosh :D

• Haha 2

B291829B-C2FF-45DE-BAF0-643B691F5CF7.thumb.jpeg.2ddfdb46cf31b215c3397bf3a63b55cf.jpeg@Trizza sometimes a picture helps. This is what I have in the UK and what is destined to be my headphone stack. Stunning sound. I like that it’s easily stackable. The middle item is the power supply; it’s optional if you want to save space. 

The Auralic Mini and Bluesound are not so amenable to stacking neatly. (Not sure how OCD you are 😂😂)

There are a lot of DACs to choose from that have great headphone outputs. Your DAC would appear off the pace today but maybe you like it.  I haven’t tried many DACs but after 13 years with a DAC 1 the DAC 2 was a no brainier and the headphone output is stunning.

The Auralic Mini and Benchmark DAC1 are about c£500 each S/H. DAC2 hardly ever comes up and I paid £1200 for mine. A DAC3 is £2k but according to Benchmark themselves there is almost no difference between DAC2 and DAC3

Edited by DomT
Photo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, simon g said:

Well, it's an opinion certainly. Not one I would agree with. Nor would many others. 

It was more like a fact if you ask me. Your opinion however, is that a big shiny brandlogo on front makes it more desirable?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ceko said:

It was more like a fact if you ask me. Your opinion however, is that a big shiny brandlogo on front makes it more desirable?

I admit I have not listened to a Pi so I cannot say it  . . 

19 hours ago, Southeastern said:

sounds like s***e

. . but I have owned a Chromecast Audio which some claim is all that one needs to stream perfect digital audio and that indeed does sound like s***e so I can sympathise with Southestern’s point of view which might lead to a conclusion that sometimes ‘quite good’ is not good enough?

• Upvote 1

All this baloney about a StrawberryandSustardPi being just as or more powerful that a proper streamer...

A Ferrari is more powerful than a Land Rover, but let's watch a 488 Italia climb Ben Nevis. The whole 'power' thing is not the complete picture and it's very narrow minded to even attempt to use that as reasoning to enjoy (endure) crap sound quality.

These Pi things are great if you are on a budget for sure, they do their job, like a Dacia Sandero does, but if you can afford better, even a Ford Focus, aka Bluesound Node level, then you'd be silly not to even just as a trial, because life is just a nicer place in a Ford or an Audi than a Dacia Sandero.

I often wonder how many Pi people have actually had multiple streamers to trial at the same time...I was one of those Pi people once upon a time, it became an almost cult like rhetoric, and barely any of them had ever actually tried a proper streamer. Then you have the people who 'better' Team Pi with 'a macbook and amazon basics USB cable is as good as it gets'. I mean, it's laughable, it's almost like they want to become the HERO to use the most primitive and poorly adapted stuff to do the job. 

As for brand names, cant say I have ever really cared, I mean, I use a relatively notorious Italian DAC, an unappreciated speaker and a Chi-Fi streamer. What the hell is a brand name in Hifi? I work on sound quality and how I want it to sound, as I imagine do most real Audio people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ceko said:

You have lots of brand names in your kit list, do those  logos make the components more desirable to you?

9 minutes ago, Southeastern said:

All this baloney about a StrawberryandSustardPi being just as or more powerful that a proper streamer...

A Ferrari is more powerful than a Land Rover, but let's watch a 488 Italia climb Ben Nevis. The whole 'power' thing is not the complete picture and it's very narrow minded to even attempt to use that as reasoning to enjoy (endure) crap sound quality.

These Pi things are great if you are on a budget for sure, they do their job, like a Dacia Sandero does, but if you can afford better, even a Ford Focus, aka Bluesound Node level, then you'd be silly not to even just as a trial, because life is just a nicer place in a Ford or an Audi than a Dacia Sandero.

I often wonder how many Pi people have actually had multiple streamers to trial at the same time...I was one of those Pi people once upon a time, it became an almost cult like rhetoric, and barely any of them had ever actually tried a proper streamer. Then you have the people who 'better' Team Pi with 'a macbook and amazon basics USB cable is as good as it gets'. I mean, it's laughable, it's almost like they want to become the HERO to use the most primitive and poorly adapted stuff to do the job. 

As for brand names, cant say I have ever really cared, I mean, I use a relatively notorious Italian DAC, an unappreciated speaker and a Chi-Fi streamer. What the hell is a brand name in Hifi? I work on sound quality and how I want it to sound, as I imagine do most real Audio people.

i use a pi based streamer, and have compared it with several other, fancy, streamers. not found anything in the same price range that is any better as yet. i use digi out and a dac, like you, so as long as the pi can get the info to the dac it's not that big a deal. i'm sure you're right and there are much better streamers, but at a cost i'm not prepared to pay. having tried them i'm of the opinion the node2i is absolutely no better, neither was the auralic aries mini (or the linn klimax renew i borrowed - that was worse). not had chance to try against the big boy transports as yet, but i will. I do, however, love the idea that you had one but now you've somehow grown up....

as for the brand names, 'chi-fi streamer' - a £2000 auralic. really? every piece of your kit is a brand name, just like pretty much everyone elses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, belloire said:

I’m sure you're right and there are much better streamers, but at a cost i'm not prepared to pay.

there is where I’m at, too.

Or at least even consider it until/unless I’ve upgraded the other parts of my (basic) system which I regard as more of a weak point (e.g. 25 year old Castle speakers) and are potentially holding back overall SQ.

however, happy to be persuaded otherwise!

Edited by Cool Dude Ted
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, belloire said:

much better streamers, but at a cost i'm not prepared to pay.

Don’t get me wrong I am also there as well. I look from afar for instance upon the the Taiko Extreme which I am sure may well be as good as is claimed but I have seen houses that cost less (and yet again many people spend many times that amount on buying a horse so maybe I should hear an Extreme!).

47 minutes ago, belloire said:

i use a pi based streamer, and have compared it with several other, fancy, streamers. not found anything in the same price range that is any better as yet. i use digi out and a dac, like you, so as long as the pi can get the info to the dac it's not that big a deal. i'm sure you're right and there are much better streamers, but at a cost i'm not prepared to pay. having tried them i'm of the opinion the node2i is absolutely no better, neither was the auralic aries mini (or the linn klimax renew i borrowed - that was worse). not had chance to try against the big boy transports as yet, but i will. I do, however, love the idea that you had one but now you've somehow grown up....

as for the brand names, 'chi-fi streamer' - a £2000 auralic. really? every piece of your kit is a brand name, just like pretty much everyone elses.

Exactly, if you want to pay it, you pay it, if you don't, you don't. Price range is irrelevant as thats not the topic of discussion or my point. 

Its a £3.8k Chi-fi Auralic, get it right if you're gonna act smart :)

You confirmed my point - what is a brand name? A company makes an item, and sells it, thus, it becomes a brand name, because if I designed something, I'd like to put a name to it. So the whole arguing against  brand names' thing is also baloney also. 

Buy what you want, enjoy what you buy, if not, return it. If you're happy with what is junk to one person but is a gold crown to you, then thats all that matters. I don't discount anyones system at all, if it makes them happy thats the name of the game.

(But Pi's are crap.)  

I love the Team Pi getting the likes in though on your post! 

Edited by Southeastern
  • Like 1

An I now have to admit that my whole music streaming system is PI based . The server is a PI4 8GB with a 2TB SSD HD attached. This lives next to my router upstairs and is powered by a Sean Jacobs DC2  LPSU. This to run LMS  and feeds the players in all my systems. It has no hat and is not loaded as a player it just sends the music by ethernet.

Rest of the players have allo digione and each has an LPSU to power it. I have heard in my system a Linn and a Naim streamer and also a Node . None sounded any better and all had major limitations . This only refers to them being used as pure streamers . 

I think my current system sounds very good and I listen about five or six hours most days. It suits me and is the best music sound I have ever had to date. Others may well not agree but if you come to The Wam Show you can judge for yourself and laugh at my poor attempt to convince myself that this actually sounds good.

Edited by bencat
  • Like 2

My first post to the OP on this thread was that there was not a consensus of opinion on streamers and power supplies and it’s true. Like with everything in life some people are deaf. Sorry bad joke. Like with everything in life people have different tastes, expectations, money etc etc.

So to the OP if you *know* the people on the Wam who make certain statements then you can deduct the validity of what they say and how it applies to you. Andrew@bencat for example has done a lot of experiments and writes about these. Nick @Fourlegs also does experiments and writes about these. Their findings are valid, both of their contrasting points of view, and having dealt with them both on a personal level believe in their integrity.

It is up to us to find out who has similar values in terms of sound quality and value/budget. We may find that we agree with some people most of the time or maybe not. But in any case once you have gotten to know people a bit it can be very useful. 

1 hour ago, Southeastern said:

its a £3.8k Chi-fi Auralic, get it right if you're gonna act smart :)

oops. sorry about that, my bad.

i was looking at a higher auralic, and it was a G2, that's what i was basing it on. at the time i decided the cost was too much for a streamer. that might change in time. who knows.

and to be fair, if that's not way better than my £300 pi streamer, then there's something seriously wrong in the world.