new LP 12 overview

4 hours ago, mskaye said:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/

This article references Mr. Belt.  It's a good read (and @sktn77a) but it is not about Mr. Belt.  Just a mention.    

A very good read, but had to confess I had no idea what a Buggati Vayron was. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Snake oil, smoke and mirrors, immediate turn-off!!!

You can find the Snake Oil range of cables at  https://snakeoilsound.com. The streamer is sold out unfortunately. 

I often read things that to me appear as Snake Oil, but as I have not heard the products I cannot really say whether they are dubious or not. 

I cannot understand how a boutique Ethernet cable can outperform one that meets Linn’s requirements and passes a Fluke test with flying colours. I also have issues reconciling any advantages using audiophile switches, music servers and linear power supplies. However, I have no doubt that using an air purifier has a positive effect in my lounge.  

In the end, I think it is a case of if it sounds better then it is better. Whether it is sorcery or science is another question.   

Here is the aforementioned Jimmy Michael Hughes 

image.thumb.jpeg.466a232a5dde9f087f5501c0ba49baea.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nestor Turton said:

I cannot understand how a boutique Ethernet cable can outperform one that meets Linn’s requirements and passes a Fluke test with flying colours.

Me neither. Too many years in IT must be part of the reason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Daveyf said:

You probably knew the folks at Stereo Design. They were the main Linn dealers for San Diego in the 80's. I remember Kent, their tech, as he was the person who introduced me to the Linn/WTA combo. ( which he still also uses to this day).  

I mainly knew the owner as they were just starting up at the time.  In fact my first official job with Audiophile Systems was to train them on setting up the LP12 and set them up as a dealer.  This is because I was living in Encinitas at the time they hired me and was about to move to Indianapolis to take the job with them.  I see they have retired and are just selling off what they have left.  Sad to see good stores go.

1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

I mainly knew the owner as they were just starting up at the time.  In fact my first official job with Audiophile Systems was to train them on setting up the LP12 and set them up as a dealer.  This is because I was living in Encinitas at the time they hired me and was about to move to Indianapolis to take the job with them.  I see they have retired and are just selling off what they have left.  Sad to see good stores go.

Steve closed his brick and mortar store about five years ago. His son was supposed to assist him in the business, but I dont know how that went. They have been trying to sell off some remaining inventory on line since they closed. Not sure how accurate their web page is? Frankly, I wasn't that sad to see them go, I had a very bad experience in their store even though I had bought several items from them in the past. Their excellent fettler went on his way even before they closed shop, although I was using his services up until recently, when I believe he may have finally retired. Now there is nobody in the San Diego area.