Innuos Zenith Mk3 VS Auralic Aries G2

Southeastern

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, packetdiscards said:

Not sure really, but I wouldn’t try factory resetting it etc until you know you are in the clear with the previous owner releasing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I will just to see :) the previous owner is known so should be ok

Edited by Southeastern

Am sure you will be fine then…

As much as I might regret my purchase, life’s too short and don’t want to dis Auralic or those who get to enjoy their products. Enjoy the device.

I am just glad we have choice in the market and I for one will make future decisions with this experience in mind.

I've been very happy with my Aurender N100H, which cost me £2400 4 years ago and trounced the original Aries Femto. No Roon support unfortunately. For that reason alone I have been tempted by a Zenith as you can use it as a Roon core and I'd like to try the software to broaden my musical horizons and dabble with EQ. That said, the limited Roon functionality and apparent drop in sound quality have put me off somewhat. There always seems to be something else to upgrade first anyway, so I'll likely stick with the N100H for a year or two more.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, Aurender just announced the N200. It'll probably be around 6 grand, but I bet its good. 

https://aurender.com/n200

FWIW, I've had the network cable pulled blind during playback on the N100H with no drop in sound quality, so no desire for a 2 grand switch here. 

6 hours ago, packetdiscards said:

Just a word of note, I have had products from both Auralic and Innuos. One crucial factor I would encourage you to check out was the customer service/support difference between the two companies. One was just plain awful and the other fantastic.

In my case: Auralic Aries Femto £1500 streamer that basically ended up going in the bin due to a systemic issue with the WiFi card component. Despite replacing the WLAN card, it ended up failing to boot after a while, subsequently requiring a replacement main board repair that was uneconomical to repair (note, there were a few others who also had to ditch this product too for the same reason).

- Innuos Streamer - releasing Innuos 2.0 software for free. Been rock-solid for me on the pre-2.0 release. Had my product for a few years and they are supporting their customers with 2.0 for free - breathing life into their solution for a while to come.

Check out the community support forum on the Auralic site and you will get a sense of what I mean. You can also check out the feedback on the Innuos inn-sights blog where you can see how they are trying to ensure a quality product (even if that means delays).

You may of course have a very different experience than I, but I know which one I would buy.

Can't speak for Auralic, but Innuos customer support is excellent.

Mac

https://aurender.com/n200
FWIW, I've had the network cable pulled blind during playback on the N100H with no drop in sound quality, so no desire for a 2 grand switch here. 

Think I know where you are coming from on this… fully agree, I am staggered that “audiophile” switches are even a thing. Some of the claims and statements made on such products aren’t even logical never mind starting a discussion about subjectiveness etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, packetdiscards said:

Think I know where you are coming from on this… fully agree, I am staggered that “audiophile” switches are even a thing. Some of the claims and statements made on such products aren’t even logical never mind starting a discussion about subjectiveness etc.

And yet they work. I use one, and it was a great lift.

However to avoid this thread going down the usual BS please try to remain on topic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, packetdiscards said:

Happy to debate your thoughts on audiophile switches (I have one) but can you start a new topic so we can discuss there?

Feel free to add something to ‘my’ thread on switches, here…

Edited by Bokke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Appreciate some of the kind responses, however I agree… the original question posed was the benefit of the Zenith Mk3 vs the Aries G2…

To help the original poster, I think it might be worth bringing it back on the topic of why one would be better than the other.

• Like 2

@Southeastern

A couple of things I did with my Aries G2 that made it even better:

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable alone made a difference).

- Hoer-Wege power supply upgrade - easy to fit and easily reversed.

I'd probably go for the cable before the power supply upgrade - it's surprising how much difference it makes.

Auralic are excellent at providing regular updates to their app and firmware.

Regarding the 'issue' if you sell it and 'releasing' it - I can't think why you would want to sell it but when I sold my previous Aries Mini I just did the required bit in my online account and it was done. I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it was a two-second job.

Auralic have a well-deserved reputation and I have been more than happy with my Aries G2. Enjoy!

Edited by Griff500
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff500 said:

@Southeastern

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable along made a difference).

I'd probably go for the cable before the power supply upgrade - it's surprising how much difference it makes.

Regarding the 'issue' if you sell it and 'releasing' it - I can't think why you would want to sell it but when I sold my previous Aries Mini I just did the required bit in my online account and it was done. I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it was a two-second job.

Auralic have a well-deserved reputation and I have been more than happy with my Aries G2. Enjoy!

Interesting news. I have just read their site and they do the Altair G1 as well. 

13 minutes ago, DomT said:

Interesting news. I have just read their site and they do the Altair G1 as well. 

They do - that's the source used when I did a demo on the ATC SCM40A speakers. It's a very good value all-in-one.

22 hours ago, Griff500 said:

@Southeastern

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable alone made a difference).

I use a Shunyata Venom ethernet and usb cable...Im not sure I want to spend the price of that Sablon a cable though!...The Shunyata is excellent even at their entry level stuff.

I've had a look at that power supply - definitely food for thought, but another £500+...I think I'll try to stay happy with what I have right now as it was a large expenditure on its own. What differences did you notice with the upgrade?

I think the previous poster obviously has a grievance with Auralic, which I probably would if there was a fault that is shown to be a common manufacturing fault and they refused to do anything about it or charge a high amount to fix it. However I do agree, the whole registration thing is an unnecessary faff - what if the previous owner had died? does that mean the unit then cant be sold on by say family if they can't access his emails, and it basically becomes an expensive brick?

Although I've kept the Auralic and am very very happy with my sound right now, that does leave a bit of a taste in my mouth, it basically says 'you don't own your product, even after spending ££££ on it,  we do'.