Jump to content

One for the Techies on here


mr.me
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, bencat said:

If the Topping is new then send it back as faulty .

This is the second one I have tried. The first was off ebay and had exactly the same problem so it was returned. This one is brand new. The supplier is as baffled as I am and has had no similar feedback. He has offered a full money back return but has also said that I can "play around" with it for a few days should I want to try and resolve the problem. Can't say fairer than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mr.me said:

This is the second one I have tried. The first was off ebay and had exactly the same problem so it was returned. This one is brand new. The supplier is as baffled as I am and has had no similar feedback. He has offered a full money back return but has also said that I can "play around" with it for a few days should I want to try and resolve the problem. Can't say fairer than that.

Hi,

I looked at the manual, not much help, but try it in DAC mode, to see if that stops the issue. You may want to use a preamp or amplifier with volume control for this test.

Regards,

Shadders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Are you saying that the next track causes the Topping to go through the process you have stated ?

This is the Topping re-synchronising with the input stream from the coaxial. The 2 second delays does seem to be a bit long, for the DAC to synchronise with the bit stream. Maybe there is a setting to allow for a faster tracking of the incoming bit stream.

Regards,

Shadders.

No, I'm saying that this glitch occurs right from the start of any CD and continues throughout the playing. Sometimes it plays normally for as long as a few minutes and then suddenly it will miss a beat when it does this the display goes from showing the volume setting to streaming freqency 44.1 and then reverts back to displaying the volume level. On switch on it has no problem locking onto the transport.

I have tried it in DAC mode and the same thing occurs. The only difference being is that it displays the frquency all the time and this does not alter at each glitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for further info, I have no problem with my other DACs. The thing that bothers me is that this is the second D30 Pro that has done this. I have notified Topping but as yet had no reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mr.me said:

No, I'm saying that this glitch occurs right from the start of any CD and continues throughout the playing. Sometimes it plays normally for as long as a few minutes and then suddenly it will miss a beat when it does this the display goes from showing the volume setting to streaming freqency 44.1 and then reverts back to displaying the volume level. On switch on it has no problem locking onto the transport.

I have tried it in DAC mode and the same thing occurs. The only difference being is that it displays the frquency all the time and this does not alter at each glitch.

Hi,

This sound unusual in that it has occurred with two units, the second brand new. Is it possible you have a power supply issue ? such as low voltage fluctuations occurring or noise ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just done a quick search very similar to the problem you're having

Edited by Nativebon
Typo
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What this sounds like to me is that the Topping is having difficulty locking on to the digital input which means it gets an initial lock and starts playing then loses the lock and reboots when it finds it again . While this may well be what is happening the cause could be a number things like the receiving chip which switches to the right sample rate and then passes that to the DAC chip . It could also be the socket not having a earth and lots of things I do not know about . But sadly I think in your case it will not work and needs mfg input to understand why. Given the different digital feeds you have had to try the fault is with the Topping and not your equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! thanks Ian, I think you have nailed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Wow! thanks Ian, I think you have nailed it.

You're welcome 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Send the crap back and buy something decent. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

Send the crap back and buy something decent. 

:fight:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, mr.me said:

:fight:

You know it makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

You know it makes sense. 

It's an sp/dif design fault so it's going back for a refund 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mr.me said:

It's an sp/dif design fault so it's going back for a refund 

This issue with Cirrus chips is not new they were also responsible for problems with Perpetual Technologies DAC s as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are obsessed with balanced and a DAC included, try TACT, and you get some DSP thrown in. A little soulless, but light years better than Topping. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...