The most common valve types in commercial equipment

pmcuk

I was interested to see the download data for various valves on the Duncanamps website http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/stats.php

These will be the tubes most of you are using:

Outputs: EL34, 6L6, KT88, 6550, EL84, 6V6, 807

Inputs: 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6SN7, 6922, ECC88, EF86 

Rectifiers: GZ34, 5U4G

Some unexpected valves but mostly the well-known ones. It shows how much hifi was standardised around a very small number of valves, for better or for worse.

300b and 2a3 aren't even on the list.  

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 12.53.51.png

That chart doesn't make any sense to me? Why three columns, same titles, and the same tubes in all three but different numbers? Is that week, month and year?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Nearly, click on the link and all will become clear.

Clear as mud, thanks! 12j8. OK, a double diode tetrode at no. 3. Agreeably a low Ra and low output tube but what is the secret? I've never heard of it, so not an everyday audio tube I rashly presume?

14 minutes ago, Jazid said:

Clear as mud, thanks! 12j8. OK, a double diode tetrode at no. 3. Agreeably a low Ra and low output tube but what is the secret? I've never heard of it, so not an everyday audio tube I rashly presume?

I had to look it up too.

Bear in mind that website is a source cited in many places, notably in the US. The 12J8 is I believe commonplace in old car radios, so that may be why.

On a different point, with 32 valves in my complete running system, I am pleased to say that only my second phono stage has anything from those lists :D

It's very US-centric like a lot of audio sites. And the common tubes are all US tubes introduced after WWII with the revised octal and 9 pin bases. 

I've been having a lot of fun, and some very good results, from European tubes previous to WWII. 

Total rubbish!  Where are all the valves so often quoted in forums such as this and equipment makers' specs?  No mention of output valves - 845, 211, PX-25 (granted rare), 300B, 6C33B, etc.

Either these valves last for ever and never need replacing (obviously not the case) or the table is a waste of effort by someone who hasn't the wit or recources to make a half good job of it!  Sorry if I'm being unfair, but what's the point.

Just to fill you in here, Duncanamps has an excellent database which is really helpful and contains a vast number of available tubes with their data. It's a good resource like Franks Tubes. 

What I posted is a list of the most consulted pages on the site, which shows what users of tube equipment are looking up on the site. All the other tubes are on the site, but are consulted less often which suggests they are used less. The most consulted tube types also happen to be exactly those that occur most often in online schematics and commercial tube amps and preamps. And stage amps and studio equipment of course. 

Perhaps it says more about the interests of those that use the website, it might be popular with vintage American car enthusiasts as mentioned above. Or someone has posted a link to a particular "tube" in another forum and lots of people have clicked on it

On 21/07/2021 at 14:43, pmcuk said:

It's very US-centric like a lot 

I've been having a lot of fun, and some very good results, from European tubes previous to WWII. 

Now that sounds interesting.. tell us more 

• Upvote 1