Your basic $46K USD LP12 . . .

All

I dropped off my LP12 with Rick at Audio Alternative yesterday (Tuesday) for a Karousel, Trampolin2, new armboard, and rebuild.  I get to pick it up Friday.  

While I was there, he played a few tracks for me on his "big" system.  The speakers were YG Acoustics Sonja XVi speakers with a pair of their matching subs (!), VTL Siegfried monoblocks, a D'Agostino phono preamp, and a $46K USD LP12, which had the Tangerine plinth/top plate, base, and supporting feet, Klimax Radikal, Ekos SE, and a Lyra Atlas cartridge (whichever model is ~$13,500).  The whole system, with cabling, etc., would retail for ~$750K USD.  

How did it sound?  All I can think of is "Wow."  It was unbelievably good (yeah, yeah - I know, it SHOULD be).  Far and away the best I've ever heard.  There was an incredible sense of ease - like nothing could fluster it.  And it's information retrieval and presentation was sublime - on one track, you could hear the singer's clothes shifting as he moved.  And it wasn't thrown at you or distracting - it was just there.  Ditto for all the phase tricks/playing on the Jimi Hendrix record he played - it was almost like surround sound.  Sonny Rollins was in the room (right after Peter Gabriel left).  It just sounded real.  No hype, no histrionics, no added sugar.  

I've heard a (very) few other similarly expensive systems.  None of them did that.  I'll never own a single piece of it (well, MAYBE an Ekos SE . . . ) but I'm very glad I got to hear it - I have a better sense of what's possible in this crazy and wonderful hobby of ours.  And I hope everyone here has the chance to hear a system like it, set up as well as this one is.  

• Like 6

Sounds like an amazing experience, and I agree it’s well worth trying to hear something like that if you can.  A few years ago I enjoyed an hour in the company of a dCS Vivaldi stack, D’Agostino amps, and Wilson Audio Alexia 2 and was similarly awe-struck, especially at the dynamic range and overall effortlessness.  

You should add your LP12 to your profile, and I’m sure you’re looking forward to hearing it again!

• Like 1

What an impressive experience. 

You also had the right recordings to listen to. At that level you start hearing the quality of the recording, and most are not that good. You heard the clothing shifting, wow. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Automaticftp said:

this crazy and wonderful hobby of ours.  

Certainly is at $750,000 a pop!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, dikki said:

What an impressive experience. 

You also had the right recordings to listen to. At that level you start hearing the quality of the recording, and most are not that good. You heard the clothing shifting, wow. 

It really was impressive, though in an understated way, if that makes sense.  It simply sounded real.  One of those systems where the recording quality is almost irrelevant if the music is great - my brain, at least, locked on the music-making and not the recording.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Certainly is at $750,000 a pop!!!

189281040.jpg.a051a893bd0d1ed1ef792a3b4c7b335f.jpgI189281046.thumb.jpg.604416706692dbf84f91dab73bbf3a72.jpg

It's for sale, right now and right here where I spend my Summer seasons: Cortona, Tuscany, Italy: 8 rooms, 2 bathrooms, fireplace,  et cetera (250 sq. m.); and, of course, garden & garage: 580.000 euros/ 682.650 USD. 

I know, I know: it is not fair...

P.S. I don't know the owner:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertox said:

189281040.jpg.a051a893bd0d1ed1ef792a3b4c7b335f.jpgI189281046.thumb.jpg.604416706692dbf84f91dab73bbf3a72.jpg

It's for sale, right now and right here where I spend my Summer seasons: Cortona, Tuscany, Italy: 8 rooms, 2 bathrooms, fireplace,  et cetera (250 sq. m.); and, of course, garden & garage: 580.000 euros/ 682.650 USD. 

I know, I know: it is not fair...

P.S. I don't know the owner:D

With plenty of space and soft furnishings to happily accommodate $750,000's worth of HiFi :D

• Haha 3

Wait, no, isn't that the potting shed in the Outer Hebrides where the first LP12 was conceived???

• Haha 1

The top of the line Lyra is the Atlas Lambda. Not a cartridge ( given its weight) that I would have thought would work that well on an Ekos SE. OTOH, the system you heard certainly must have sounded great! I have head all of those components ( although not in the combo you did). The YG's are amazing speakers, so long as you have a huge room and a monster power amp to drive them. BTW, did the system include the matching YG component stands ( they are a paltry $30K each!) . 

In my journey over the years, I've had several combinations that shouldn't have worked well.  Perhaps the most obvious was a Thorens TD125 with an SME 3009 arm/Denon 103D cartridge combination in the late 1970s.  The arm (super lightweight) and cartridge (medium/low compliance) should never have worked well but they just did.  I don't think I've heard a better combination since!  Sadly, the 103D wore out and were no longer made so I couldn't replace it.

On 23/07/2021 at 06:24, sktn77a said:

In my journey over the years, I've had several combinations that shouldn't have worked well.  Perhaps the most obvious was a Thorens TD125 with an SME 3009 arm/Denon 103D cartridge combination in the late 1970s.  The arm (super lightweight) and cartridge (medium/low compliance) should never have worked well but they just did.  I don't think I've heard a better combination since!  Sadly, the 103D wore out and were no longer made so I couldn't replace it.

I was talking to Jonathan Carr ( designer of the Lyra's) recently. He informed me that the Linn Kandid was made for the Ekos SE, as the heavier Kleos is not ideal for the weight requirement of the arm...nevermind the Atlas! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I was talking to Jonathan Carr ( designer of the Lyra's) recently. He informed me that the Linn Kandid was made for the Ekos SE, as the heavier Kleos is not ideal for the weight requirement of the arm...nevermind the Atlas! 

IIRC Jonathan Carr used to be a member of the old Linn forum.

Edited by vicdiaz