What would be the most repairable/longlasting amplifier?

orange13

10 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

Perreaux amps: The owner (Peter Perreaux) once lobbed one of the top of a building to show how tough the designs were ,so the story goes.

They are built to last . I do have one BTW but don't plan on throwing it off my balcony any time soon :)

What one do you have? Not a particularly well known brand in the UK. I have an Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary and as you say, tank like build quality and reliability and they are super helpful if you have any questions - never waited more than a day to get a response from them.

• Like 1

I have the Audiant 80i - Its actually the anniversary version as they supplied a brand new upgraded unit when I sent mine back for a miner cosmetic blemish (imperfections annoy me) 

Its a lovely machine, I have looked at the Eloquence models but they are a bit bigger than I need and I only have small bookshelf speakers so the 80 provides plenty of power ...

Lol, no such thing as too big! I’ve used mine with Impulse taus @ 93dB and tannoy Mansfield’s, just fabulous. One of the best amps I’ve ever owned, I even preferred it over a Luxman L550aii and I thought that would be my forever amp.

I have a quad 405-2 with maybe 100 hours on it since a comprehensive service and tweak sitting in the loft as backup in case my AHB2 fails. 

I need to grow up and sell it. Its a lovely amp. Great performance for the money. And readily serviceable (although probably fails your hot capacitor test with C5) 

But the ahb2 is not going to fail. Its designed for the studio market where things are expected to just keep working properly forever. There is no romance in trips to the bearded local repairer. 

And anyway, its designer has promised to fix it if it breaks and he's never let me down yet. And it's all smd's. But he built it with em and he could repair it with them. 

Competent modern engineers are not fazed by surface mount technology 

2 hours ago, killie99 said:

Lol, no such thing as too big!

Unfortunately for me there is, I only buy compact components due to space restrictions, the 80i is only about 300mm deep, about the same as my Renew streamer - no coincidence there as they both fit on the trunk in the corner of my room. For similar reasons I only buy speakers that work close to walls . Not everyone has space, If I did then maybe I would upgrade but for now it has to fit in the space provided. I have just been given notice to vacate my place after 6 years (not because of noise complaints!) as my landlady is selling up, so I maybe even more grateful that I only have smaller components to try and find a home for in  my next place. (I am a renter in the Bristol area and you don't get much for your money)

I also have a pioneer SA706 brought in 1978 that still works and in lovely condition.Twin UV meters that still work ..That’s probably why I went with the similar look of the Vincent 332 SP hybrid power amp for my main system as it also has twin UV meters ..I may have the Pioneer recapped for the mancave ..Japanese amps of that era where some of the best …

Valve amps can last forever with point to point wiring. Just upgrade any parts that need it. 

But for something without high voltages (apart from the mains) have a look at a really good DIY amp. If you can make it you can repair it. A very popular example is the Nelson Pass Amp Camp available from the DIY Audio shop:

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

This is class A Single Ended so expect some good sounds. You can see some built examples sometimes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114869050075?hash=item1abeba9adb:g:wKwAAOSw0h1g2L~n

However, in this comparison a simple tube amp did well.