Katalyst: Have you experienced this?

Hi everybody,

i got my katalyst upgrade yesterday and plugged in the upgraded Adsm into my presently passive setup to eagerly hear what differences I could find. 

i prefer to mention my findings after a few days of listening so that the excitement of a new device/upgrade does not influence my thoughts. 

however the negative or weird stuff should be mentioned right away. Don’t be alarmed I can call this effect negative but it is surely weird. 

my temporary setup at the moment is an Adsm/3, a4200/1 and passive 242’s (v1)  The speakers are exactly 82.8 cms from the front wall and have zero toe in. It’s been in this position for the last week or so as I was running some other tests. 

what I immediately noticed after the upgrade with the majority of my test tracks that the main vocal is now more left heavy. I heard the same tracks before the upgrade and the vocal was dead center about 5.5 feet high on my system. This might mean setting the ideal position for the speakers again but I’m just wondering how this could have happened from just a DAC upgrade?

has anyone else experienced this change after katalyst?

No, this shouldn't be the case and I certainly didn't have it after my upgrade. Have you checked, that there isn't accidentally a volume offset in work?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

No, this shouldn't be the case and I certainly didn't have it after my upgrade. Have you checked, that there isn't accidentally a volume offset in work?

Good point Tendaberry 

If the right speaker is closer to the side walls than the left speaker, SO may be moderating the output to the right speaker?

Depending on the shape of the room and proximity of each speaker to the walls, some toe-in may be helpful.

‘There may also be an issue with the output of the amp, where the gain is less on one channel

I also think that with more burn-in of the Katalyst board, it may balance the volume output to each channel.

I got the impression from the OP that the only change was the Katalyst upgrade to the ADSM. Everything else, amps, speaker position etc. have been working fine with vocals centered for the past week, until yesterday. No adjustment should be needed for things to sound right, and significantly better with the upgrade.

• Like 1

Good point Tendaberry 
If the right speaker is closer to the side walls than the left speaker, SO may be moderating the output to the right speaker?
Depending on the shape of the room and proximity of each speaker to the walls, some toe-in may be helpful.
‘There may also be an issue with the output of the amp, where the gain is less on one channel
I also think that with more burn-in of the Katalyst board, it may balance the volume output to each channel.

Paul - good ideas but SO is off. I removed all my amps to clean and photograph them (incase they get listed in the near future) I also checked each gain level and they are all correct.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I got the impression from the OP that the only change was the Katalyst upgrade to the ADSM. Everything else, amps, speaker position etc. have been working fine with vocals centered for the past week, until yesterday. No adjustment should be needed for things to sound right, and significantly better with the upgrade.

That’s correct! I wonder if anything from the rear panel gets physically replaced. The only changes I see on Konfig is that the variant changed from 2014 to 2018 and hdmi went from 1.3 to 2.0.

I’m trying a different amp now and then try a different pair of interconnects just to be sure. MORE LISTENING TO DO ON A BORING THURSDAY. What fun!

I also left the Adsm playing the whole night with the poweramp switched off to atleast have 12 hours of continuous usage incase there is a burn in effect for the upgrade.

I would isolate the problem before making any other changes. And the problem has been pretty well isolated to one box. You could confirm this by swapping in another DSM. Don't you have a Majik DSM?

33 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Try the same track through headphones.

Try this first.

• Like 1

I would isolate the problem before making any other changes. And the problem has been pretty well isolated to one box. You could confirm this by swapping in another DSM. Don't you have a Majik DSM?

Not anymore. The mdsm/2 was sold

• Like 1

I think something was broken when the Katalyst was installed.  Or maybe not connected properly.  

Retrace your steps.  What cables were removed while doing the upgrade?  If you’re lucky it will be a simple bad connection and not internal to the DSM. 

Have you tried swapping left and right cables at the rear of your ADSM, to see if the problem changes channels?

Mick

• Like 2

"In my system and for my ears, katalyst sound is quite different from non-katalyst. 
Tonal balance is more on the darker side with less high-frequency energy and demanded some getting used to and also changes to ideal speaker position and fine-tuning of SO to bring back some of the high-frequency energy.
But now I am very pleased and it seems to bring deeper insight into music with tons of little nuances that couldn't be heard before. Very rhythmical presentation is another strong point. "

This was my first experience with katalyst. I was not blown away immediately and still think that changing from MDSM to AEDSM was a bigger quality step than adding katalyst.

• Like 1

The issue is now resolved. The right speaker was pushed closer towards the front wall by half a cm. I guess I may have moved it by mistake during all the various connections and re-connections.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1