Your Record pet hates

Fairly explanatory, but a place to voice the things that really annoy you about our favourite music medium.

For me -

1/ Record labels that don't actually tell you what side you are looking at / listening to, so you have to resort to using a magnifying glass on the groove run out. Just, why ?

2/ Album covers where they are so tight that it takes you 5 minutes to remove the inner sleeve and 10 minutes to get the damned thing back in. Both are virtually impossible to do without destroying the sleeves. Grrrr ! 😡

3/ Your, wow I managed to get one, new record arriving, WARPED !!!

For my life !, what a frustrating / annoying hobby. I wouldn't bother, if it just wasn't so damned worth it.

My rant over; your go.

Warped records, paper inner sleeves (just why!), the little download codes that stop the record being slid into the cover - I do store the sleeved records outside the sleeve though.

I hate single sleeve vinyl, no excuse not to have gatefold even for just one vinyl. 
vinyl which is 45rpm and not 33rpm but not printed on the label 🤣 However for all its flaws I do love vinyl 

Completely agree with all the above. Plus:

• labels that are stuck off-centre (sometimes as far as across the end of the lead-out groove)
  • labels, inner sleeves and booklets finished in that sort of semi-matte, semi-gloss finish that shows every bloody fingerprint no matter how careful you are with handling (assuming you can prise it out of the too-tight inner sleeve in the first place...)
  • the LP that plays perfectly with virtually no surface noise or flaw, except for the loudest pop you've ever heard, right in the middle of a quiet passage
  • single records where the tracks have been compressed to fit, to the detriment of the sound quality, when they really should have been spread across two

I’m in agreement with Beyond You on this….

Albums that don’t stipulate whether they are 33 or 45. 

As much as it’s mildly frustrating that you start an album at the wrong speed and have to correct it (though this was admittedly very funny when John Peel used to do it), I have a 12” from Etienne De Crecy that I’ve owned since 2001 and have no idea what the correct speed is. 

I could search for the track online to clarify the dilemma, but I guess that would spoil the quandary. 

The 33 or 45 issue is the biggest one for me, closely followed by records that have too small a spindle hole so that I have to push onto my deck and then jiggle about from side to side to get the buggers off again!

New lps that are unplayed yet filthy are bloody annoying too.

On 28/07/2021 at 21:50, Ganders said:

New lps that are unplayed yet filthy are bloody annoying too.

O agree, the dreaded release agent. Bloody annoying.

Having the same cd that sounds better than the vinyl pressing.