Upgrade choice between Dymamik, LP12, Exakt Surround & Next-Generation

56 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

Not so sure that mixing Dynamik with non-Dynamik is that good, only as a stop-gap solution. You should always put the newest Solos on the super-tweeter and the tweeter.

Thanks again, Tendaberry. So it's back to a straight forward choice between Dynamik and Next Gen KSH

23 minutes ago, Newton John said:

Thanks again, Tendaberry. So it's back to a straight forward choice between Dynamik and Next Gen KSH

The next generation ksh will make a much bigger difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Something just occurred to me. I recall talking with a dealer recently. He said that Linn were developing new power amps that will be better than current Klimax. Hmmm.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Suffolkboy said:

The next generation ksh will make a much bigger difference.

Thanks, Suffolkboy. Yes, I've already heard what the NGKSH can do in my system even without Organik.

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Something just occurred to me. I recall talking with a dealer recently. He said that Linn were developing new power amps that will be better than current Klimax. Hmmm.

Thanks, Akamatsu. An interesting prospect. A full set of eight new Linn power amps may be out of my league, but the resulting Dynamik Solos on the second-hand market may not. Perhaps, I shouldn't be too concerned about the door closing on the Dynamik upgrade.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Newton John said:

Thanks, Suffolkboy. Yes, I've already heard what the NGKSH can do in my system even without Organik.

Thanks, Akamatsu. An interesting prospect. A full set of eight new Linn power amps may be out of my league, but the resulting Dynamik Solos on the second-hand market may not. Perhaps, I shouldn't be too concerned about the door closing on the Dynamik upgrade.

The thought of second-hand Klimax Solos flooding the market at giveaway prices did cross my mind. :D

The information I got was a little bit more reliable than most rumours in that Linn had queried the dealer as to design considerations.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

The thought of second-hand Klimax Solos flooding the market at giveaway prices did cross my mind. :D

The information I got was a little bit more reliable than most rumours in that Linn had queried the dealer as to design considerations.

The Solos and Twins have been around for so long that Linn must have at least considered replacing or improving them.

It's possible any new power amp would be in the original Klimax case with upgrades available for Solos.

Another possibilty would be twin power amps in a Next Generation double decker style case.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Newton John said:

Another possibilty would be twin power amps in a Next Generation double decker style case.

This is what I imagine; a stereo amp that would out perform two Klimax Solos. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. You have folks with big expensive speakers that have under performed due to mediocre electronics. They get the NGKDSM, WOW! They want more. Enter new amps. Suddenly, those $100k speakers are beginning to sound the part.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 00:21, Newton John said:

This would make sense. It's not as if they haven't done it before - to my eyes a Urika (1) looks very much  like a Uphorik that has been 'double-decked'!

Edited by Dasher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Many thanks to everybody who helped me think about the four options.

Today, I've got Organik Exaktboxes on loan from Peter Tyson. Having heard them, it's no contest. Next-Generation is the way to go.

Even with my old KDSM/1 used as a system hub, Organik Exaktboxes are a massive improvement on Katalyst ones. This improvement is quite different from that produced by the NGKSH. The NGKSH produced a lively, rhythmic, exciting sound. On first hearing, Organik appears to be all about refinement and more detail giving a much more relaxed sound - more analogue like in character. I forgot about my pining for vinyl.

The stereo image is now more coherent and well defined. The biggest surprise was that when my wife came in for her usual evening TV watching session, the audio via HDMI ARC was massively improved. It was almost like surround sound yet centered firmly on the TV screen - picture and sound fitting together perfectly. Dialogue was easier to follow. That takes away much of the argument for Exakt Surround channels. Now my wife's gone to bed, the music is back on and sounding quite magical.

On Monday, the NGKSH is coming back so I can hear how it combines with Organik. It doesn't seem possible that the combination of the two might be even better.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Newton John said:

Many thanks to everybody who helped me think about the four options.

Today, I've got Organik Exaktboxes on loan from Peter Tyson. Having heard them, it's no contest. Next-Generation is the way to go.

Even with my old KDSM/1 used as a system hub, Organik Exaktboxes are a massive improvement on Katalyst ones. This improvement is quite different from that produced by the NGKSH. The NGKSH produced a lively, rhythmic, exciting sound. On first hearing, Organik appears to be all about refinement and more detail giving a much more relaxed sound - more analogue like in character. I forgot about my pining for vinyl.

The stereo image is now more coherent and well defined. The biggest surprise was that when my wife came in for her usual evening TV watching session, the audio via HDMI ARC was massively improved. It was almost like surround sound yet centered firmly on the TV screen - picture and sound fitting together perfectly. Dialogue was easier to follow. That takes away much of the argument for Exakt Surround channels. Now my wife's gone to bed, the music is back on and sounding quite magical.

On Monday, the NGKSH is coming back so I can hear how it combines with Organik. It doesn't seem possible that the combination of the two might be even better.

Thank you for your positive review, great reading.

Good luck with your decision, and looking forward to hearing about Organik and the NGKSH

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The NGKSH produced a lively, rhythmic, exciting sound.

This is consistent with my experience of tightening up the timing. To me, better timing manifests as more musical. I've had the opposite experience with factors that disrupt the timing, e.g. Cat 7 cables as Exaktlinks. Just not as musical.

I think we've all had that experience. You can't imagine better, then you hear it, and immediately a new standard is set.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I've had the opposite experience with factors that disrupt the timing, e.g. Cat 7 cables as Exaktlinks. Just not as musical.

Absolutely not true

My current Ethernet cables are Bonn Silent Angel C7 and the timing is superb, the sound quality is staggering and the musicality is sublime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

To me, ...... I've had the opposite experience.......

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Absolutely not true

:D

On 08/08/2021 at 17:32, Paulssurround said:

Absolutely not true

My current Ethernet cables are Bonn Silent Angel C7 and the timing is superb, the sound quality is staggering and the musicality is sublime

You have a great system Paul, but with superlatives such as those above, some might justifiably ask "so why do Linn even bother with Klimax kit" let alone the Next gen Khub or Organik ?? To stay credible, you might wish to restrain your adjectives ?!

• Haha 1

@Newton John next gen hub dropped off today so hopefully you can do the double with Organik exakt and hub. Will be interested to hear what you think makes the most difference. 

• Like 2