Why The love of stand mount speakers?

hiesteem

16 hours ago, Zen Monkey said:

Besides the obvious virtues such as speed and imaging, stand mounts are typically more accommodating regarding room setup and can (usually) be positioned closer to walls than floor standers - and that can really matter in smaller rooms.

When I was younger I lived in Victorian with wooden floors and so floorstanders were the only option. Then in a much larger home with concrete floors I could use floorstanders (WB Curves). The curves were great because they were so rigid that they performed more like stand mount speakers. I use stand mount again as we are retired and in a smaller room again. I notice a lot of lounges with floorstanders pulled right out into the room and Inwouldnt want my lounge to look like that. A listening room then fine but not a lounge. 

Why the love for stand mount speakers ? Because Harbeth P3ESR are stand mount speakers :D

Sorry ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

Why the love for stand mount speakers ? Because Harbeth P3ESR are stand mount speakers :D

Sorry ;-)

Correction, Harbeth P3ESRs are 2/3s of a speaker. :P

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

Sorry ;-)

Ian sorry I need to correct you. They are van mount. And in true van mount style mine are positioned on a shelf in my studio. The P3ESR is a stunning speaker and I will never sell mine. 

I have always been drawn to stand mount speakers via the reviews. Not sure why but the descriptions of what speakers like the wilson benesch arc or my own 1SC's have to offer made me want to try them. Even, once upon a time, to the point of wanting a pair of Linn Kan's!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DomT said:

Ian sorry I need to correct you. They are van mount. And in true van mount style mine are positioned on a shelf in my studio. The P3ESR is a stunning speaker and I will never sell mine. 

I've not a fan but did think they were at least a bit better than that...

large-speaker-sound-car2-640x403.jpg

(No idea what you actually meant BTW!)

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned, but having just swapped my Revel stand mount speakers for my ATC floorstanders there is one very big difference.  Stand mount speakers are much easier to move!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1