Please recommend a decent quality AES cable

Psilonaught

Just bought a mutec mc3+ usb and need a decent cable. Nothing fancy, just something that will be the correct impedance (110 ohm?) and not impact data transmission.

Honestly, for the more 'budget' end of decent cables I use Shunyata's Venom range. USB, Ethernet and AES. If you buy them from the States, plenty appear on eBay for cheap enough, think each one cost me about £80.

But I am sure lots will be along to tell you the usual names, Van Damme, Mogami etc etc. I doubt any good cable 'impacts' data transmission...it's what else it brings with it that matters. This is why Shunyata are excellent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Just bought a mutec mc3+ usb and need a decent cable. Nothing fancy, just something that will be the correct impedance (110 ohm?) and not impact data transmission.

Not sure why you bought the Mutec given your system. Does your DAC not deal with jitter well? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DomT said:

Not sure why you bought the Mutec given your system. Does your DAC not deal with jitter well? 

Flash says one improves his DCS  stack so I'd like to try one.

Both it and my dac will be using the same master clock signal from my atomic clock.

If it does nothing I will be able to sell it.

This is also why I won't invest in a better AES cable I'm satisfied that I hear an improvement.

Edited by Psilonaught

30 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

If it does nothing I will be able to sell it.

If so I'd be interested in trying it between my pimped Node2 & pimped Jolida before you officially list it. 

• Like 1

I'll dig out the reclocker thread and update it.

49 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Flash says one improves his DCS  stack so I'd like to try one.

Keyword "stack".

1 minute ago, tuga said:

Keyword "stack".

?

Someone recommended these (Rabski?) but it looks as though the seller is away at the moment...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323802172688

2 minutes ago, tuga said:

Someone recommended these (Rabski?) but it looks as though the seller is away at the moment...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323802172688

not AES 110 Ohm? I was considering one of these - mogami 3080, 110 Ohm

1 minute ago, Psilonaught said:

?

When you split a DAC into several boxes using an external master wordclock is likely to improve performance. Another possibility is a "cleaner" S/PDIF signal, but I doubt you'd need that considering the quality of your transport (Innuos).

@DomT also asks a good question above.

No harm in trying though I guess money could be better spent elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Psilonaught said:

not AES 110 Ohm? I was considering one of these - mogami 3080, 110 Ohm

Looks good. :^

I've got a spare one of the below. Quite happy to send it to you foc, on the basis that if any other member wants to try out AES then you send it on. 

https://www.designacable.com/audio-visual/digital-aes-spdif.html/mogami-aes-xlr-to-xlr-cord-110ohm-3080-digi-cable-neutrik-gold-xlrs.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, simon g said:

I've got a spare one of the below. Quite happy to send it to you foc, on the basis that if any other member wants to try out AES then you send it on. 

https://www.designacable.com/audio-visual/digital-aes-spdif.html/mogami-aes-xlr-to-xlr-cord-110ohm-3080-digi-cable-neutrik-gold-xlrs.html

Now that is a very generous offer and one that will give you a base cable of sensible quality to judge against .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, simon g said:

Gosh thank you! I will drop you a PM