VERY VERY GOOD SACD player recommendation req.

Minicoupeman

Sony SCD 1 or SCD 777ES

Mine is now 20 years old . New laser fitted ..

As good as it gets if you can find a good one at the right price and you have somewhere to put it as it’s quite a beast ..

F4C2D8FF-BAFA-4EA7-BD74-3591E3C404AA.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, bigrod said:

Sony SCD 1 or SCD 777ES

Mine is now 20 years old . New laser fitted ..

As good as it gets if you can find a good one at the right price and you have somewhere to put it as it’s quite a beast ..

F4C2D8FF-BAFA-4EA7-BD74-3591E3C404AA.jpeg

0ACFD7AB-1E5D-40FA-B2B7-4EAC070D95A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, tuga said:

The performance of the DirectStream DAC isn't excellent. Doesn't mean it won't sound excellent to some people.

Have you heard one ? i know Amir 'says' it measures badly, but he seems to have a personal beef with Ted Smith (the designer), and wouldn't recommend it even if it was the best he had 'heard'....

1 hour ago, joolz said:

Have you heard one ? i know Amir 'says' it measures badly, but he seems to have a personal beef with Ted Smith (the designer), and wouldn't recommend it even if it was the best he had 'heard'....

There are many ways to skin a cat and the DirectStream is one of them. The measurements show a few issues, which may or may not be relevant depending on who you ask.

I defend that a good piece of equipment must both measure well and sound good. Measure well because that verifies the quality and effectiveness and fitness for purpose of the design. Sounds good is a bit of a tricky one because some people like the sound of equipment which produces some types of distortion and so it's a bit of a personal call.

But I wouldn't recommend "coloured" unless I knew that the end user preferrred that kind of presentation.

11 hours ago, joolz said:

Have you heard one ?

I can translate Tuga's reply for you: "No" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, tuga said:

There are many ways to skin a cat and the DirectStream is one of them. The measurements show a few issues, which may or may not be relevant depending on who you ask.

I defend that a good piece of equipment must both measure well and sound good. Measure well because that verifies the quality and effectiveness and fitness for purpose of the design. Sounds good is a bit of a tricky one because some people like the sound of equipment which produces some types of distortion and so it's a bit of a personal call.

But I wouldn't recommend "coloured" unless I knew that the end user preferrred that kind of presentation.

Well given that some of the best sounding hifi does not measure well, by your definition those bits of HiFi therefore cannot be considered to be good; and that is clearly ridiculous. 

Why can’t you just accept that people like what they like? If you don’t like what they like because it might not ‘measure well’, (even though there is no universal agreement to what that means and what the data set is,) it doesn’t mean that you are right and they are wrong. You just have an opinion just like those who disagree with it. 

6 minutes ago, DomT said:

Well given that some of the best sounding hifi does not measure well, by your definition those bits of HiFi therefore cannot be considered to be good; and that is clearly ridiculous. 

Hi,

Can you see the contradiction in your statement ?

People implement a rubidium external clock, an AES/SPDIF reclocker, a ultra low noise LPSU, which all measurably improve the function that they are designed for, and people report that they now have a better listening experience (subjectively).

Then you state that the best sounding hifi does not measure well.

Absolutely hilarious. Comedy gold.

Regards,

Shadders.

I am very happy with the SACD, and DVD audio playback, of my Lexicon RT20. It also has very good build quality.

106lex1.jpg

I recommend the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player SACD transport. As the name suggests, it's a memory player, so rather than outputting data directly from discs, it instead outputs data from a very low-jitter buffer system. It's pricey but sounds so good and is unique in that when partnered with the DirectSteam DAC, it can play the DSD layer on SACDs which sounds incredible. 

ps_audio_directstream_memory_player.png

Edited by Zen Monkey

7 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Can you see the contradiction in your statement ?

People implement a rubidium external clock, an AES/SPDIF reclocker, a ultra low noise LPSU, which all measurably improve the function that they are designed for, and people report that they now have a better listening experience (subjectively).

Then you state that the best sounding hifi does not measure well.

Absolutely hilarious. Comedy gold.

Regards,

Shadders.

There was a Wam poster called Shadders

A human being who couldn’t be sadder

He talks about HiFi

And we respond my my

To put him on ignore I couldn’t be happier

• Upvote 1

Thank you all. I have been too busy to catch up till now. I purposely didn’t put a price on this. The Marantz was not cheap and is very good - just not as good as…..

I had rather hoped that I wouldn’t be directed toward Esoteric but it seems a way to go. PS Audio is interesting. Our cousins across the pond speak highly of the brand. These two will have to be demo’d Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Minicoupeman said:

I had rather hoped that I wouldn’t be directed toward Esoteric but it seems a way to go. PS Audio is interesting.

Naaa, just get the TAD and bedone. :P

The Accuphase CD/SACD/DACs are superb.Several friends use them after owning all sorts of other expensive alternatives.Accuphase has somehow worked out how to make digital sound right.Of course knowing how to build really great power supplies and output stages must help but they also use multiple chips and have done so for years.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 17:20, Ceko said:

Is a new DAC an option? You could leave the beautiful Marantz in place and feed the dac with it.

If I’d buy a new DAC money no option, it would be a Holo.

Chord Qutest?

On 27/07/2021 at 07:11, JamieMcC said:

Very happy with the SACD playback on my Oppo 205 it's a super bit of kit imho.  Mind it would be great to give a dedicated higher end scad player a listen.

Happy with mine too.  Trouble is they are only available 2nd hand.