Low budget hifi isn't that bad

gasolin

Yes he's on Youtube. He's very patient and usually gets what he's after and at a good  price.

whilst some cheaper hifi like the Acoustics that I bought are good why settle for something that's 'not that bad'? Why not find something 'satisfying'?

18 minutes ago, DomT said:

whilst some cheaper hifi like the Acoustics that I bought are good why settle for something that's 'not that bad'? Why not find something 'satisfying'?

And that's the crux of the matter, though my main rig is very satisfying, because I am where I am with it, I always wonder what putting X or Y into the system would do for it. However my 2nd system is a different matter, ignoring the tt/arm/cart (which owes me <£1k) the pre, 1 power amp, tuner & cassette deck owe me nothing as have owned them for around 30 years. The remainder, 1 power amp, KEF 104ab, CD63SE, CCA & FiiO Taishan DAC owes me £317 so a complete 5 source system that's cost me circa £1300, less than I've paid for carts is VERY VERY satisfying considering its performance cost ratio. As was the £195 vinyl rig I mention earlier in the thread. 

I often return to my 2nd system for a few days to get a perspective of where I am with the main rig. TBH I don't miss the main rig when doing this as system 2 more by accident than design sounds really good to my ears. 

Just now, Lurch said:

And that's the crux of the matter, though my main rig is very satisfying, because I am where I am with it, I always wonder what putting X or Y into the system would do for it. However my 2nd system is a different matter, ignoring the tt/arm/cart (which owes me <£1k) the pre, 1 power amp, tuner & cassette deck owe me nothing as have owned them for around 30 years. The remainder, 1 power amp, KEF 104ab, CD63SE, CCA & FiiO Taishan DAC owes me £317 so a complete 5 source system that's cost me circa £1300, less than I've paid for carts is VERY VERY satisfying considering its performance cost ratio. As was the £195 vinyl rig I mention earlier in the thread. 

I often return to my 2nd system for a few days to get a perspective of where I am with the main rig. TBH I don't miss the main rig when doing this as system 2 more by accident than design sounds really good to my ears. 

Thats a great result! looking forward to hearing it on Sunday!

I did like my Sony WM-D6C into a NAD 3020 and a pair of Audio Note AX1s. It was a big warm bundle of music and for what it was it s great.  But I rarely have heard a 'modern' 'cheap hifi' and think wow that's satisfying.  Maybe it need to be vintage and cheap for some of us? 

On 26/07/2021 at 06:31, gasolin said:

Low budget hifi isn't that bad

Recent perchause Fosi Audio BT20a Class d amp with Dual TPA3116 chips, 2x50 watt in 4 ohm, Argon alto 5 mk2 free shipping, free return, 30 day return periode, cheaper than a pair of dali Spektor 1, no holes, screws,magnetic grills, 4 ohm 86 db ALOT better than spektor 1, cordial cfu interconnects, canare 4s11, topping e30

No pop noise from the amp when turning it on/off and the second you turn it on there sound (when theres sound from the source), no static noise adjusting the sound,no hiss,distortion do to class d, it's very low, flawless bluetooth, on my Rotel A11 Tribute it's either no sound or max volume, my fosi amp make it possible to adjust the volume using bluetooth, reversed tonecontrols (why ?) treble then bass, not neutral at 12 o'clcok but managed to make it sound neutral

Sound is impressive, wide soundstage, good depth, lot's of power, impressed of how much it has, many say 88 db is low sensitivity but you will be surprised of how many don't come close to have the rated sensitivity,especially some of the klipsch rp, with 4 ohm i do have a fair amount of power, highs that are not loud intrusive and fatuging, neutral bass that are well controlled, midranghe that don't get shouty at high levels, high power handling, so fare i haven't had to exceed the amps power, the speakers limit, i never had such a cheap amp,speaker combo that sounds that good, i don't miss my using my 2x 100 watt in 4 ohm rotel a11  tribute

Thank you for sharing .These are valuable finds and maybe a list of these would be useful to all.

Which exact model of FOSI is this. It seems that old and new  have the same model numbers ?

5 hours ago, nn_in said:

Thank you for sharing .These are valuable finds and maybe a list of these would be useful to all.

Which exact model of FOSI is this. It seems that old and new  have the same model numbers ?

Chinese entry-level DACs are very good value for money but there are other more established companies offering very affordable equipment, e.g. iFi or Schiit. The former, possibly both, have a bit of a house sound which you may find pleasing.

Class D amplification can also provide very good value for money.

Normal people just buy once but audiophiles are genetically programmed / cursed to a life not unlike the quest for the holy graal, and thus tend tend to go over a number of models before they finally settle for one if/when they do... My advice is that you begin by trying/listening to a few different topologies which will give you a sample of the different flavours, and then davance from there.

Going on someone else's recomendation (user or reviewer) does not guarantee success.

Posted (edited)

yes

Im considering getting a higher tier class d since im considering selling my rotel amp to get a bigger monitor and therefor want some higher tier class d amp so im not stock with only a very good entry level class d amp

except for me being unlucky with the smsl 24 volt 6.75  power supply that gave me coilwhine thru my speakers (i could use it with a good power cord i have from isotek) it does what i need but as a main amp for a longer time i wouldn't mind a little higher sq and a little more power (current), some say the infineon MA12070 ansd Ma 12070p is very good for less than 200 euros.

I can get for my rotel amp what a bigger monitor costs and selling my current monitor i can get a higher tier class d amp or the nad 3020i have i written about

The amp and class d is that good i could live without my rotel amp

Edited by gasolin

Now me I am just a tight old git .. I worked in a great hifi shop for nearly 6 years and the owner of the shop was a dear personal friend.  You learn pretty quickly the law of diminishing returns and remember the set ups you did and how they sounded.   The main instance of this was the customers who bought an Arcam A60 with a Sansui SR222 turntable and cartridge of their choice and a pair of Ram or Celef or similar speakers .. then you had the customers who bought a Linn with a basic arm and cheap cartridge, a NAD amp and a pair of whatever speakers they could then afford with the little money they had left .. You had to smile because the well balanced "budget" system beat it hands down,

You also learn over time that some very cheap items are sonic bargains .. one example being the Myst Amps in the late 70s early 80s which for the money were untouchable soundwise to my ears (i was upset because they would not make a more powerful amplifier for me to be able to use on my then Gale 401s).

I loved it as my kids grew up putting their own systems in their bedrooms .. used Pioneer A400s (I have one of them now in my conservatory system) and Systym 931 speakers (the forerunners of Art Loudspeakers - mini LS35A type speakers that are just beautiful and a seductive listen.

I just wish i had had a crystal ball - the number of quad 2/202s and Leak valve amps we took in part ex (I wish I had bought them all and put them into storage lol) 

At the end of the day it is matching components to give you the sonics your ears like and there are some veritable bargains to be had still in the market place.  

A Hafler DH101 preamp can be had for not a lot of money and it will hold its head up against practically any other preamp .. when you put it against an Audio Research you have to ask yourself in truth is the extra £700 or more second hand worth the extra money ..then it is down to how much disposable cash you have to spare,  I could not sell mine though it sits in the loft and will make an appearance in a system somewhere soon (or not so soon) - I did use it for a time in the conservatory with the spare DH200 but when one daughter moved out to keep her indoors happy I switched it out for the Pioneer A400 .. and am perfectly happy.

The only time I had no hesitation in spending silly money was when I heard my Art Impressions and just had to have a pair (it helped that the missus actually told me we had to have a pair too) ... it convinced me that once you get past a certain point the loudspeakers do make a massive difference (ok so I could probably make them sound better buying a better DAC and a perhaps a better high end amp (yet to find one that makes this tight old git want to part with his money) but my ears are happy.  That for me is the raison d'etre of this game - loving the music and keeping your ears happy and to not try and overthink it and chase rainbows 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 27/07/2021 at 18:15, DomT said:

I take your point.  This is more of a “Wish I had known it was possible to do this when I was twenty and had nothing” thread.

That being said, some cheap hi-fi that I’ve had has been as good as anything else I’ve had at any price.  The Armstrong 625 comes to mind when I had it with LS3/5a and larger Spendors.  That was indeed satisfying on every level for me and I think less than a hundred pounds. 

46 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I take your point.  This is more of a “Wish I had known it was possible to do this when I was twenty and had nothing” thread.

That being said, some cheap hi-fi that I’ve had has been as good as anything else I’ve had at any price.  The Armstrong 625 comes to mind when I had it with LS3/5a and larger Spendors.  That was indeed satisfying on every level for me and I think less than a hundred pounds. 

And I would add a NAD 3020, a Michell Focus and a Creek OBH-22. 

Rega io has to be included 

• Like 1