Digital out output

Had anyone experienced different levels of volume output on different sources.

Output from laptop is a decent level and pay on 50 % 

Optical output from TV much quieter 

Output from streamer different level 

All into same dac 

Have you guys also experienced this 

Edited by Bokke

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Man in a van said:

I find that the optical output is at a lower level on a lot of stuff, especially on my TV

Ja me too but I'm wondering what causes this 

I've not found much online hope there is a bofin that can explain or point to a website so I can learn 

Can software also play a role?

Edited by Bokke

My TV output is a fair bit lower than my streamer but I've assumed this is due to the broadcast signal levels rather than the TV. Possibly I'm missing something though.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

My TV output is a fair bit lower than my streamer but I've assumed this is due to the broadcast signal levels rather than the TV. Possibly I'm missing something though.

Could there be a slightly different output level on different makes of streamers

10 minutes ago, Bokke said:

Could there be a slightly different output level on different makes of streamers

I think I've seen here someone say they've experienced this but logically I don't understand why. Assuming you aren't using the streamer to adjust volume (I do) then surely everyone would  want a bit-perfect output of whatever is recorded? This would mean equal volume.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I think I've seen here someone say they've experienced this but logically I don't understand why. Assuming you aren't using the streamer to adjust volume (I do) then surely everyone would  want a bit-perfect output of whatever is recorded? This would mean equal volume.

This is what I'm trying to establish

Spent the last hour searching internet can't get any answers ,🤣🤣 so frustrating 

Can a digital output carry different gain structure

19 minutes ago, Bokke said:

Can a digital output carry different gain structure

If we're talking about LPCM then there aren't separate waveform and level/volume values - the sample values define the volume. The number of bits the data is sampled to tells you how many 'steps' there are from zero signal to the maximum level/volume.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

I suppose a streamer could be attenuating the output by 3 or 6dB to avoid intersample overs if it is upsampling on-the-fly.

Interesting Benchmark article @tuga. I wonder if anyone is aware of a streamer that resamples the signal prior to output with this in mind? I'd assumed this wasn't done but it would impact the 'do all streamers sound the same' question if any did. Seems unlikely to me though...

Just now, MartinC said:

Interesting Benchmark article @tuga. I wonder if anyone is aware of a streamer that resamples the signal prior to output with this in mind? I'd assumed this wasn't done but it would impact the 'do all streamers sound the same' question if any did. Seems unlikely to me though...

I don't know much about streamer but with file player, to the best of my knowledge, if you attenuate the digital volume it is applied before upsampling. So I presumed that a streamer would act in a similar fashion.

We have established in another thread that the Auralic Aries provides the option to upsample.

I'm pretty sure my Linn DS1 has an option in settings to upsample the output. I tried it briefly and switched it back off but maybe should have given it longer to decide (like a week).
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tuga said:

I don't know much about streamer but with file player, to the best of my knowledge, if you attenuate the digital volume it is applied before upsampling. So I presumed that a streamer would act in a similar fashion.

Yes but the context here is not using volume adjustment on the streamer. Obviously if this is done then the output levels can be different :).