Next Exakt step up from Majik 140s?

I think that the OP answered their own question right at the beginning - I see no problem in exploring alternatives to the 140s - I'd probably look at the Kudos Super 20s or PMCs as filters are available. I know that it's also very room and taste dependent, but I wouldn't dismiss Majik Isobariks either (if I could actually find some). However, once I had explored the options then I would definitely try  to demo a pre owned KDSM into the  AEB-i and140s. There is a substantial difference between streamed music via a Klimax box and an Akurate box (I have both).

The Akurate AEB-i will power  more or less anything you care to put-on the end of it. I listened to one at the weekend  and the front end was New Gen KDSM and the far end was Kudos Titan 707. In the middle was an AEB-i  (K). It lacked  for absolutely nothing. It was almost as good a Linn  presentation as I've ever heard - certainly up there with 350E(k). The only  Linn presentation that I have heard that bettered it (to my preference)   was full on solo powered Kudos Titan 808 (and a Klimax LP12).

I've not heard Organik yet and can  only imagine what (any) Kudos speakers, Solos and an Organik Exaktbox would sound like ...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

Lately I've been wanting more body and warmth from the sound

@wildwildWes To me this suggests you'd be happier with larger floor standing speakers. I have no other experience other than owning Linn's Keilidh, Katan, Ninka and Keltik models. To my ears the Keltiks have far more body weight and warmth than the others. Of course that's to be expected with their isobarik bass. I would imagine your current Majik 140's to be similar in presentation to the Ninka having heard the 140's at a dealer several years ago.

Of course there's many other non Linn loudspeakers out there that would perhaps fit the bill too.

What's the secondhand market like in Canada? Are you prepared to do a 'Zee' and try out many different possible solutions, buying and selling until you find your sweet spot?

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1

I can't go full Zee but I might try out a few.  Unfortunately, the secondhand market in Canada does not seem to be very good, and the huge distances increase the risk factor a bit I think.  I'm on CanuckAudioMart.com and Ebay, if anybody knows other good sites I should be checking, please let me know.  

• Like 1

It's a step down for Wes for sure, but today I saw a pair of Komponent 110's pop up on eBay cheap, with all the boxes in good shape. My 104's sound so sweet on my Exaktbox-i, I can imagine how their larger siblings sound. The shipping to me would cost more than the speakers themselves, but I'd love a pair.

3 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

I can't go full Zee but I might try out a few.  Unfortunately, the secondhand market in Canada does not seem to be very good, and the huge distances increase the risk factor a bit I think.  I'm on CanuckAudioMart.com and Ebay, if anybody knows other good sites I should be checking, please let me know.  

I had my pair of M140's shipped from Vancouver to Toronto 6 years ago in original boxes. All was good. The only issue these days is the big shipping cost increases. If I remember correctly I paid around $250 to ship the two boxes with insurance. 

I am paying €240 to ship a Majik 126 film Helsinki to Taipei, and it also has almost taken a month!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildwildWes said:

What do you think of Kudos Titan 606s?  Hypothetically, if I was offered a deal...

Sorry, not heard the 606's -  but I have heard 505T, 707T and 808T and haven't heard a bad  one. I do know of  someone who is about to buy some, but his system is very  different and he's going the full Exposure /Kudos 606T active route (that's even more boxes than I use)!

I have heard Kudos speakers and they were much better active than passive. The only time I have been really impressed is when I heard them in a Linn Exakt system, previously I heard them with Naim and wondered how they had gained so many accolades. 

Nonetheless, when it came to decision day I opted for passive Spendor D9s and am still convinced I made the best choice. An Akubarik system would have been nice, but a bit too expensive. Choosing the speakers that suit you best in your listening room is personal choice. You have to try them, there’s no other way in my opinion. 

• Like 3

On 19/08/2021 at 04:02, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I am paying €240 to ship a Majik 126 film Helsinki to Taipei, and it also has almost taken a month!

Congratulations Jail! Has it arrived yet?

• Like 2

Yes, and and it is splendi-f*cking-tastik!

4 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Congratulations Jail! Has it arrived yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It arrived, sounded great for a day, and stopped working, sad.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Not good - is it the same electronics package in there as in a  Sizmik?  (Hopefully not). I run a pair of Sizmiks and had the 126 slated in as a replacement for when the inevitable silence finally happens  -  but you may be causing me to rethink this strategy!

1 hour ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Same thing happened with my Sizmik, except it didn't work for a minute, let alone a day. A local repair shop fixed it and now it works perfectly. Apparently, the amp board is rather weak. I believe you can still buy the Majik 126 amp board from Linn. It fits the Sizmik, so I was told. Repair was cheaper in my case, by more than half.

I worked out a deal with the seller and ended up paying what one needing repair would cost.

Edit: I just realized how off topic we've gone. Apologies to the OP. :)

Edited by akamatsu

The amp actually says "Sizmik Module".

What really pisses me off is that in attempting to check the board, in the very robust aluminum case btw, all four torx screws stripped when I popped it out. I use the passive voice as, contrary to popular belief, I'm not an idiot. I know how to unscrew screws. That all four screws stripped says defect. 

Sub amps are a very special situation. High power, high heat, trapped in cramped unventilated spaces. In this case trapped inside a small MDF cavity that probably acts as insulation rather than shedding heat. 

I always do a metric ton of research before I buy. I came across significant amounts of comments for many brands of subs dying, so I knew I was taking risk. When it played so beautifully yesterday I was relieved. That's why I'm so gutted today.

@Akamatsu makes a good point, I guess I should reach out to the seller. My quandary is also driven by him. Finding a local repair service is best/cheapest. The logic board still allows access to the menus, but nothing other than the default value can be selected. That is the impossible part to be fixed by a solder jockey. The issue is it won't come out of standby. Only the single little light indicating power is illuminated. I've reached out to Linn first though asking if these units are still being serviced, and explaining the situation. If an essentially new amp module, versus a repair job is on the cards, given sub amp longevity, what to do?