Does the human ear prefer analog or digital (converted) sound?

eddie-baby

On 04/08/2021 at 16:26, darthvadersdad said:

I think you just answered your own question there Eddie we indeed are all different😀

I'm not! 

On a serious note, it depends what mood I am in. Some recordings I have aren't available on CD and these recordings have some sentimental value. 😎

On 07/08/2021 at 14:42, DomT said:

I know that at least one of these people adores classical music and so I naively thought that maybe, just maybe, there would be some acknowledgement that maybe analogue vs digital = it depends based on credible classical recording artists countering their claims. 

I know a lot of classical music lovers prefer digital, due to the lack of clicks and pops, static, vinyl roar, which unfortunately, can spoil the quiet passages that are often found in classical recordings. i myself prefer digital for classical, but still love vinyl for most other forms of music. Horses for courses, i suppose.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 07/08/2021 at 22:01, jumpmonkey said:

Can’t be arsed reading this thread, so apologies if this has been said.  A friend has what I think is a nice vinyl setup and he’s into making digital copies on his pc.  There is absolutely no difference that I can hear between the record and the copy, other than he’s removed some clicks on the copy.  So to me, there is no intrinsic quality to vinyl if you can copy it exactly in digital form.

This is / was my experience. when I "went digital" I had a few albums which I could not get at the time so I digitised them. I couldn't tell the digital version from the vinyl in a (admittedly single blind) test carried out with the help of my other half. never looked back. 

I listen mainly to classical these days and, really, there is no competition.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

I'm not! 

On a serious note, it depends what mood I am in. Some recordings I have aren't available on CD and these recordings have some sentimental value. 😎

Really this is very surprising as over 70% of the music I have on CD is not available on Vinyl . If you can list a few examples I may be able to find it if not a CD at least digital file copies that you can down load . While it is good to keep the Vinyl copies having a digital back up can be a lifeline if something happens to the originals .

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I know a lot of classical music lovers prefer digital, due to the lack of clicks and pops, static, vinyl roar, which unfortunately, can spoil the quiet passages that are often found in classical recordings. i myself prefer digital for classical, but still love vinyl for most other forms of music. Horses for courses, i suppose.

My comment was really about valves as well as analogue. Good vinyl doesn’t have clocks and pops but I totally understand that classical music for some people is very often more enjoyable on digital. 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 14:59, MartinC said:

Recording quality trumps medium

This is the nub which makes discussion about the highness of fidelity of our various bits of kit more of a fun distraction than a seriously important search for truth.

The difference inn SQ between recordings is hugely greater than the difference in SQ between non-eccentric HiFi stuff.

It has always been a problem to chose "demo recordings" to evaluate kit since the recording may well hide a shortcoming in a system, one that you have been hiding ever since enjoying that recording somewhere, perpetuating the "flavour" of everything you buy later.

I have superb LPs and rubbish ones, ditto CDs.

Mind you I would still prefer to listen to music I like on my phone to stuff that bores me on the best of equipment so my dicking around with kit is largely over, I have been using some of my kit for 25 years and it is still as good as I need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 09/08/2021 at 13:04, JTW said:

This is / was my experience. when I "went digital" I had a few albums which I could not get at the time so I digitised them. I couldn't tell the digital version from the vinyl in a (admittedly single blind) test carried out with the help of my other half. never looked back. 

I listen mainly to classical these days and, really, there is no competition.

Yes I get this. I've been listening to vinyl quite a lot lately, its an altogether different experience but it's not better than digital. When I listen to the CD its just way clearer and more polished, clean and also sterile.

It's been at least 25 years since I had a half decent deck in a hi-fi, way before that the TTs I had were the crap ones everyone had. Apart from it being really cool, I shouldn't really be liking it but I can not help myself using it a lot lately. The novelty might wear off but so far its such nice change from everything that sometimes annoys me with digital sound. Been through a few cartridges as well and they can vary a lot! But at the moment perhaps it is the distortion that's making things more pleasing to my ear. And I'm not constantly thinking either right what DAC am I going to try next, Im just enjoying the music. Even if its squished, round off response whatever :) And listening to albums all the way through again :D

But your right I imagine if it was replicated to CD (or digital file then) it would probably be very similar less the getting up to change records. Having fun with vinyl at the moment though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1