Volumio is crap

Bokke

Good old Logitech Media Server run on a PC or Mac as server Picore player on a Raspberry Pi as Player. If you can handle the technicals - Ronnie is very helpful- Picore Player can also act as your LMS server picking up shared drives of music on other PCs on your local LAN.

• Upvote 1

I like Volumio and I thought it had LMS as a player. It has a much more user friendly interface to select the DAC and other options compared to Squeezebox say.

Have you tried using the LMS in Volumio and installing an app on your phone? I use Squeezer and it's great. It has shuffle and random play I think, you might need to go in options (Squeezer) to enable though.

I use Qobuz free on Volumio (as in no extra charge to upgrade Volumio for the facility) via the LMS plugin but I've struggled to get Tidal to work

8 hours ago, Bokke said:

Been playing around with volumio and it's crap. 

What's the best playback software for raspberry pi? 

Ability to shuffle or random is a must.

Horses for courses :?

Explain what you want, exactly, to do, and which raspberry pi you are using.

That might help :)

ronnie

1 hour ago, slavedata said:

Good old Logitech Media Server run on a PC or Mac as server Picore player on a Raspberry Pi as Player. If you can handle the technicals - Ronnie is very helpful- Picore Player can also act as your LMS server picking up shared drives of music on other PCs on your local LAN.

Or you can run LMS from your Pi and squeezelite as player, also from same Pi... all in one. No PC needed :). Lots of options available.

In my humble the GUI of volumio is lovely, but...

I used Volumio on a Pi3 for quite a while and it was fine until it refused to scan more than 15,000 (approx) tracks. Updates, fresh install etc didn't help.

Also ran volumio on a Pi4 and it was very unhappy, often getting corrupted and needing a fresh install, and still the 15,000 track limit.

Tried Moode, couldn't get it to work at all

Now run PiCore on both 3 & 4, works lovely, just needs a laptop/tablet/phone as a remote. It uses LMS, and is a complete player on a Pi with just either a Digi Hat, an analogue Hat, or an Amp Hat.

The PiCore installation guide could do with a rewrite though.

Edited by karlinamillion
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bokke said:

What is crap about it? I use MoOde on Raspberry Pis and I prefer it to Volumio. All the MPD based systems like Volumio have random play. But unless you spell out what you want, it is difficult to recommend anything.

Edited by rdale
  • Like 1

Ok had a very quick read through and will read again more carefully but volumio is terrible 

It freezes on my phone and also has intervals where it's just thinking and refuses to play. I have to restart many times.

Can't seem to find a shuffle play on my entire list of music. (Very important)

Also that may be crucial info is that I run all my music ripped on local usb hhd.

2 hours ago, slavedata said:

Ja so I'm using a hhd with all my CDs ripped on

1 hour ago, rdale said:

What is crap about it? I use MoOde on Raspberry Pis and I prefer it to Volumio. All the MPD based systems like Volumio have random play. But unless you spell out what you want, it is difficult to recommend anything.

It's freezing and I can't get it to play certain genre on shuffle or random

@Bokke

Please can you say which raspberry pi you are using ?

Is it a fresh Volumio download ?

How is your USB hard disk connected to the raspberry pi and what sort of disk is it ?

Are you using Ethernet or Wireless network connection for the raspberry pi

What format are your ripped files (and how did you rip them) ?

Ta

ronnie

1 hour ago, Bokke said:

It freezes on my phone and also has intervals where it's just thinking and refuses to play. I have to restart many times.

This may be unrelated but I found Volumio on my SHD could be unresponsive at times when I was using a WiFi connection to my streamer but its works essentially flawlessly now I have a wired connection instead. 

I use Volumio principally for Qobuz playback, although sometimes for Radio Paradise streams too. It could certainly be improved on but it is usable. I have a Raspberry Pi in my kitchen system where I use LMS as others have suggested above, but principally as it allows me to use BBC Sounds.

Moode has the advantage for some of offering some EQ capability I believe but I've not tried this.

I've had issues with HQPlayer NAA on some microSD cards (e.g. Samsung). These Kingstons work flawlessly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0162YQEIE/

Edited by tuga

Best software to steer your Pi?

Roon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk