Volumio is crap

Bokke

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Man in a van said:

@Bokke

Please can you say which raspberry pi you are using ?

Is it a fresh Volumio download ?

How is your USB hard disk connected to the raspberry pi and what sort of disk is it ?

Are you using Ethernet or Wireless network connection for the raspberry pi

What format are your ripped files (and how did you rip them) ?

Ta

ronnie

Allo usbridge

Ethernet 

All CDs ripped wave files using jriver on laptop. (The fact I'm used to jriver and it's good functional product may be a factor)

Cheers 

All I need is random play or shuffle and also why is the volume so low as I need to play on 75/100 to be good as only 45-50 on laptop. Sound quality is as good as laptop though.

Edited by Bokke

10 hours ago, Roland_O said:

Best software to steer your Pi?

Roon.

That doesn't exactly sit well with the budget nature of a Pi though :).

Edit: and would require a second device as well wouldn't it?

Edit2: missed we weren't talking about an actual Raspberry Pi!

Edited by MartinC

@Bokke

Well the Allo usbridge is based on the rpi compute (3, I guess) module, I have no experience of that board.

A few suggestions:

If not already, use the Allo Volumio image

Control the player from a computer desktop and not the volumio phone app

With regard to the volume level, look through the volumio notes for info

https://volumio.github.io/docs/

or do a search on the internet

Wave files should not be a problem but look to see if you can do an on-the-fly conversion to flac.

You did not say what sort of usb disk you are using (it may require more power than is being supplied)

JRiver do a raspberry pi image, ask on their forum if it will work on a compute board (I would guess that it should)

It's up to you to do the footwork, as it would need a forum member with a similar board to try to replicate your problems.

Good luck :^

ronnie

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Man in a van said:

@Bokke

Well the Allo usbridge is based on the rpi compute (3, I guess) module, I have no experience of that board.

A few suggestions:

If not already, use the Allo Volumio image

Control the player from a computer desktop and not the volumio phone app

With regard to the volume level, look through the volumio notes for info

https://volumio.github.io/docs/

or do a search on the internet

Wave files should not be a problem but look to see if you can do an on-the-fly conversion to flac.

You did not say what sort of usb disk you are using (it may require more power than is being supplied)

JRiver do a raspberry pi image, ask on their forum if it will work on a compute board (I would guess that it should)

It's up to you to do the footwork, as it would need a forum member with a similar board to try to replicate your problems.

Good luck :^

ronnie

So you've hit the nail on the head 

For this instance I'm using the very crap audiiquest dragonfly red 

I've got good DACs not in use atm as packed up. Topping d90 and benchmark dac 3.

Last few days been searching volume on pi and many experience the same 

Edited by Bokke

I have tried Volumio and MoOde on my Raspberry Pi 4, I found the Volumio software the easier of the two. to setup, but MoOde much better as a renderer, although a little harder to setup first time round. like all new software it will take some time to find the best settings for you, and to find your way round it. I have found it stable and I use Bubble UPNP to access Qobuz, or Tidal, with no problems at all. SQ is excellent too.

On 05/08/2021 at 22:28, Bokke said:

Allo usbridge signature

I’ve got one of those and I run MoOde on it, and it works just fine. I use MAFA as an MPD client, and BubbleUPnP as a UPnP client for Qobuz on my Android phone. I use Rigelian as an MPD client, and mconnectHD as a UPnP client on an iPad Mini.

A very useful feature of Rigelian is that it can play a selection of 100 random tracks, but MAFA doesn’t have that. I wrote scripts to generate a playlist of my entire collection that I can use to play random tracks with other MPD clients.

Posted (edited)

I've realised half my beef 

I'm so used to running a laptop with jriver that I can't do with anything less. Functionality for me comes before anything else. I'd rather just use laptop into dac than use a 'better' streamer with crapper software/functional etc.

So then looking at streamers with better software like innous but I can't bring myself to spend that amount of money on what looks like a very cheap Chinese mother board/processor. All they have is decent power supply. So back to building my own hdplex. Top quality cooper cooling. My choice of motherboard and processor. Should be powerful enough to run room correction but not over kill. Ssds for operating system and files. My choice of power supply and DC to atx etc. Just getting all the parts since covid has become so hard. But must be done. 

Edited by Bokke

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to think volumio is crap now too. It's frustrating the life out of me and I spend more time fannying about with it than playing music. I only persisted with it for the tidal connect integration which cost £25.

Multiple freezes which mean you need to turn it off at the wall, which in turn can corrupt the SD card and make things worse. I have burned it onto another SD card and a couple of days later having the exact same problems. Now it won't see my NAS nor allow me to add it again

Any ideas I had about investing in a TT might be put on hold now to get something that will work for digital all the time. I just can't justify £500 on a node though. The pi4 seems great, it's just bad software letting it down 

5 minutes ago, Joss said:

Starting to think volumio is crap now too. It's frustrating the life out of me and I spend more time fannying about with it than playing music. I only persisted with it for the tidal connect integration which cost £25.

Multiple freezes which mean you need to turn it off at the wall, which in turn can corrupt the SD card and make things worse. I have burned it onto another SD card and a couple of days later having the exact same problems. Now it won't see my NAS nor allow me to add it again

Any ideas I had about investing in a TT might be put on hold now to get something that will work for digital all the time. I just can't justify £500 on a node though. The pi4 seems great, it's just bad software letting it down 

I would suggest that you look at something like Max2play which will enable you to load Logic Media Server which has plugins for Tidal which work and you can set up NAS connection as well. If you are more skilled than me it is also possible load LMS directly to a Pi and this would be free .

6 minutes ago, bencat said:

I would suggest that you look at something like Max2play which will enable you to load Logic Media Server which has plugins for Tidal which work and you can set up NAS connection as well. If you are more skilled than me it is also possible load LMS directly to a Pi and this would be free .

LMS is actually free via Max2Play, Andrew (one has to ignore all the nag screens :cool:)

And the emoji are all  messed up :roll:

ronnie

9 minutes ago, bencat said:

Thanks, I will take a look at the LMS options. I's also got to be simple enough for others to use (wife). It's frustrating as when volumio is working it's great. I also seen an earlier post who thought that maybe wireless was causing there volumio problems. I wonder if a cheap WiFi extender with Ethernet might be worth a go as my router is too far away to connect it directly. 

19 minutes ago, Joss said:

One should be able to shutdown Volumio from a smartphone, either via an direct control app or a SSH app on the phone.

Its base is raspberry pi OS, so reachable via SSH

ronnie

2 minutes ago, Joss said:

Thanks, I will take a look at the LMS options. I's also got to be simple enough for others to use (wife). It's frustrating as when volumio is working it's great. I also seen an earlier post who thought that maybe wireless was causing there volumio problems. I wonder if a cheap WiFi extender with Ethernet might be worth a go as my router is too far away to connect it directly. 

Wireless connection is prone to being flakey O.o

If you have an old router it might be possible to use that as a bridge

ronnie