Volumio is crap

Bokke

5 minutes ago, Joss said:

According to the bt hub manager it's connected at 5Ghz. I have just ordered a tp-link extender with Ethernet so will give that a go. 

Well, it is possible to split the two bandwidths and give each an individual SSID and password

The 2.4 frequency it better for distance than 5, so that might be worth a try. 

Also is the pi in a metal case ? This can effect reception, a usb wi-fi dongle on an extender might better work, if you have one. I have a couple of these

I don't know if extenders are the same technically as a WIFI Bridge :dunno:

Also, if Volumio is "crap" in the current situation, then any other media server is also likely to demonstrate a reduced performance. :doh: 

keep us posted

ronnie

Just now, Man in a van said:

Well, it is possible to split the two bandwidths and give each an individual SSID and password

The 2.4 frequency it better for distance than 5, so that might be worth a try. 

Forgot to say, one can check if a neighbour's wi-fi is using the same band as one's own, and then one  can select a different one (in the UK, 1, 6 or 11 are generally recommended, rather than Auto)

My hub can't be anymore than 25' away from my pi. The hub is in the cupboard but it doesn't seem to affect any other devices that connected to it. The extender I bought is this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWBBPQN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_C51C434CCBWFF9CQMKB0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m running Moode.

Streaming FLAC files from USB pen drive.

Permanently set to shuffle/random.

I turn it on at the mains, wait a minute or so and leave it on random play for most of the day/evening.

That’s how I want to listen to my music most of the time - with the odd album thrown into the mix if I’m in the Moode!!!!

It just works.

No reason to change anything for now.

Normally log on late in the evening, do an orderly shutdown and power down at the mains.

17 minutes ago, Joss said:

My hub can't be anymore than 25' away from my pi. The hub is in the cupboard but it doesn't seem to affect any other devices that connected to it. The extender I bought is this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZWBBPQN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_C51C434CCBWFF9CQMKB0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you'll be able to use the ethernet port on that I would give it a try with Volumio before changing to anything else. As I posted earier in this thread, on miniDSP SHDs running Volumio this seems to make a significant difference even when the WiFi signal is apparently good. Different hardware I know but it's easier to try this quickly than installing and configuring new software.

Edited by MartinC

2 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

I’m running Moode.

Streaming FLAC files from USB pen drive.

Permanently set to shuffle/random.

I turn it on at the mains, wait a minute or so and leave it on random play for most of the day/evening.

That’s how I want to listen to my music most of the time - with the odd album thrown into the mix if I’m in the Moode!!!!

It just works.

No reason to change anything for now.

Normally log on late in the evening, do an orderly shutdown and power down at the mains.

+1 to MoOde working well. To debug issues with Volumio I would personally try a micro sd card with MoOde on it and see if it works better than Volumio with the same hardware and network setup. 

12 minutes ago, Joss said:

I used moode originally and can't remember having any trouble with it. It's the tidal connection function that made me go to volumio. I will see if the ethernet makes a difference. 

I don’t use Tidal but I use Qobuz with MoOde using mConnect on iPads or BubbleUPnP on my Android phone. Once you have configured those apps with either your Tidal or Qobuz credentials you can use MoOde as a UPnP renderer to play music. Maybe the Volumio support allows you to enter your credentials in Volumio instead of in the client apps on tablets and phones, but isn’t obvious to me what advantage that would have if you’re happy with the mConnect or BubbleUPnP UIs

• Upvote 1

Using LMS  and Material Skin GUI you enter your Tidal,Qobuz,Spotify to the plug on and control from that no additional app needed .

8 minutes ago, bencat said:

Using LMS  and Material Skin GUI you enter your Tidal,Qobuz,Spotify to the plug on and control from that no additional app needed .

If you use mConnect or BubbleUPnP you only need those apps on the device you are using to control music replay. What software runs on on the tablet or phone when you do that? I’ve searched the Apple iPad App Store and there are music apps called ‘LMS’ there, so I don’t see a difference in numbers of apps needed. I’m not sure if entering your music service credentials at the client or at the server app makes much difference as it’s something you only need to do once.

It's tidal connect that makes it easy to play music straight from the tidal app. You just tap a speaker icon and then tap volumio. howtotidalconnect.jpg?ssl=1I have bubbleupnp and although it works well it's not very slick or very friendly for other people to play music through tidal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rdale said:

If you use mConnect or BubbleUPnP you only need those apps on the device you are using to control music replay. What software runs on on the tablet or phone when you do that? I’ve searched the Apple iPad App Store and there are music apps called ‘LMS’ there, so I don’t see a difference in numbers of apps needed. I’m not sure if entering your music service credentials at the client or at the server app makes much difference as it’s something you only need to do once.

Material Skin is a ip  linked software so any device that can access the internet can control you music you just need your LMS url 192.168.1.---:9000 then the page opens . Of course you have to be running LMS as your server .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joss said:

It's tidal connect that makes it easy to play music straight from the tidal app. You just tap a speaker icon and then tap volumio. howtotidalconnect.jpg?ssl=1I have bubbleupnp and although it works well it's not very slick or very friendly for other people to play music through tidal. 

Thanks for that.

I’ve just been looking at the Qobuz Android app and I can’t find any way of controlling music replay on another device, which makes it pretty much useless. The Qobuz app on the iPad can only play music on another device with Airplay and so it doesn’t play HiRes, which means I don’t use that app either.

12 minutes ago, bencat said:

Material Skin is a ip  linked software so any device that can access the internet can control you music you just need your LMS url 192.168.1.---:9000 then the page opens . Of course you have to be running LMS as your server .

Thanks I’ll know what people mean when they mention Material Skin in the future.