Calling ATC Active Speaker Users

wHIZZY

I have not previously used active speaks that have XLR connectors, so am not aware whether different makes/types of cable  have  any effect on sound.  Can any users of ATC active speakers recommend any XLR connection cables.  One of the speakers will require a 7m cable, so ideally not looking for anything too expensive.  Thanks

@Fourlegshas a huge thread on testing XLR cables, and I recall his budget favourite is now a Belden that I think is also in ATC’s price list.  

Are you taking the plunge?

Edited by Nopiano

The full write up is here…

Ah, yes, here’s his latest summary…

• Upvote 1

I have only used XLR cables on a single system for connection to a power amplifier XTC Class A power amp . I tried a couple of borrowed high end cables (Kimber and Chord) and then bought from this supplier .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282849451897?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item41db241f79:g:hpMAAOSwURJahYOO&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSwcmzw5CLtzTE60FqHcnq2A3DPmhp9ek1k3ahKEHL7EfK0aHk5yweF7Ys4a5PMhO%2BBzDn4eSEXn%2BX5KtO%2FgC1ynKV2CijDL3JnW%2BVZj7KyEBb0wHGEvPGrKI0Gkk%2FQzVxbGlVE16G9ghMWplIgqU37Y5M1I8PohHZ8Vj%2FeZCoeeGOn%2BJRKHWfyR60BzCcTQZ1ELQdKzttd0WSQ9rUrB9jJWpTifBtShhe6%2FEkwtyYnVZWDqnbORcrbdFPYBHTxpS6pq1Z4rmg9y8lKM9RK9HtMOOf9KAsQF635l2TQiNCJSruE%2F1Lr4qA6cV9YF%2FpF1ZP5rrPvbI151zDPA5eVgAWhbIq1sc4mgAZEDkDhIaicWYIou%2F7MsFyHAyqpFwpGaDO7gObW3zmzZFnJEUtq7QzCwP9PbRGr%2B9Dz5Nt5XOeDK5N%2FylU5AX%2B%2FfEC5VZuzOtl9382XkXuhGt6qFpDPVtJAcoV6gXKAW6fBZT%2FFDZop30daKxxcsnIE8a7kU%2FtUz7YLzhNqM86CxmaXI6ZGLToZDkHO4y7ZFP60Wb9HQmPWcIYR0QhsK0uhvowapwon66LSM0Homfl60TINEa4HPhtkoIrP7jPcsNqYt%2FOPJP9IsdlVJ7iJBz0lWPelCMMoIU0nqwONxeliRYro0Cp9eLLMYpddvX1xK3J4%2FaPMdvmvDDE7aqebCQ86uhbm4XAmJKnnvWoqLiKC2JkV4PInmsuvTRZeLSygzEoqcY5tGSnFIJsezngNEG%2BuCmKq3XleJCuH9DyBJ17jXwUIQypCWkbSOrnIDE66QvVAzkfmo3yfGJ%2BChyxi%2BaATqNJkEqYAXDw|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

In this case the difference was so slight that i gave back the high end cables and thanked the owners for the loan and the above have stayed in my system ever since . The only other place I use XLR cables is for AES/EBU single lead digital connection and provided you buy a proper 110 ohm cable I have never been able to hear any difference so again used the above supplier .

If you want to go fro something a little better without getting in to silly money then seek out a Guitar shop or similar which sell this stuff. The cable used and the plugs are as good as it gets and they will last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meter-Balanced-Microphone-NC3MXX-B-NC3FXX-B/dp/B08PS3DFJG/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=Belden+XLR+cable+7m&qid=1628247494&sr=8-11

I am sure there are those who will say that some high cost cables will make a difference and in speaker cable and unbalanced cables i would agree with them but my expereince with XLR is that any differences are very slight and do not justify the additional spend.

As always please view this as a single personal opinion which is honestly given and i have tried to be clear about how i used the cables which is not the same as you will be doing . Nick and Nigel both run ATC active systems and their views may well be very different .

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 1

I have used

https://www.designacable.com/

Maybe consider keeping the length equal on both sides (just incase you want to sell them on at any time :))

ronnie

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nopiano said:

@Fourlegshas a huge thread on testing XLR cables, and I recall his budget favourite is now a Belden that I think is also in ATC’s price list.  

Are you taking the plunge?

Have been happily using some B&O Beolab 9 active speakers for about seven years but recently decided to try some ATC 11s. Although I found the ATC 11s to be excellent speakers having a very detailed and dynamic sound, on balance I marginally preferred the 9s for their overall abilities, at least in my listening room. So for reasons even I'm not quite sure of, I've decided to try some ATC19 actives against the Beolab 9. However as I've not used XLR cables previously I wanted to make sure the ones I choose will not skew the results. Think I may be suffering a severe case of audio madness.

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 2

I have some Van Damme XLR cables for my Event Opal monitors and they work perfectly 2x2 metres cost about £40 I think🤔 I had them done in a chocolate brown colour to so they just vanish on my brown carpet👍

Edited by darthvadersdad

2 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

Think I may be suffering a severe case of audio madness.

Sounds perfectly normal to me - but who am I to say!  I did see an eBay ad for some SCM40 actives earlier today for under five grand, incorrectly labelled SL.  

On 06/08/2021 at 11:44, wHIZZY said:

I have not previously used active speaks that have XLR connectors, so am not aware whether different makes/types of cable  have  any effect on sound.  Can any users of ATC active speakers recommend any XLR connection cables.  One of the speakers will require a 7m cable, so ideally not looking for anything too expensive.  Thanks

My budget favourite cable is Belden 8760. I have a 100m reel of it and can make up a pair for only the cost of materials reimbursement as a Wam favour. This cable will compete with any at any price (IMHO of course but I am right!).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

My budget favourite cable is Belden 8760. I have a 100m reel of it and can make up a pair for only the cost of materials reimbursement as a Wam favour. This cable will compete with any at any price (IMHO of course but I am right!).

That's a very kind offer which I would like to accept. I'm currently away from home at the moment and not sure of the exact measurements. So, I  will measure up upon my return on Monday and send you the measurements.  Once again thank you for your offer it is much appreciated. 

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

That's a very kind offer which I would like to accept. I'm currently away from home at the moment and not sure of the exact measurements. So, I  will measure up upon my return on Monday and send you the measurements.  Once again thank you for your offer it is much appreciated. 

Dave

Just message me when you are able.

• Like 1

I’ve used xlr cables from Mogami, Van Damme, and No Bull (as well as one or two others from the pro world). They’ve all done a fine job and I’d be hard pressed to say that one was better or worse than another.

The only xlr that I had problems with, was a so-called ‘high end’ silver coated cable, sourced on eBay. It didn’t sound good and there was a volume imbalance  - it was almost certainly faulty. Personally, I’d stick with the pro stuff which is usually very reasonably priced.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 08/08/2021 at 06:58, Fourlegs said:

Just message me when you are able.

Have tried several times to message you but so far appear to have been unsuccessful, could it be your message folder is full. 

Dave