HiFi in an upstairs flat/apartment

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

The boys aren’t audiophiles.

My youngest had the choice of Katans or Ninkas and he chose the Ninkas because he thinks big speakers look way better. He’s got the use of my old ROCK NUC Roon as an end point that gives him pretty good sound quality from my NAS and Qobuz account while he’s living at home. He doesn’t use it because he prefers streaming Spotify from his phone. They want a turntable because they think it’ll impress their friends. Sadly, I don’t think they’d appreciate a DSM. 

• Like 1

As has been said already, playing at low volumes is probably the only answer. It might be worth your boys getting on very good friendly terms with the couple downstairs as this will hopefully lessen the chance of arguments, and yes, maybe popping down to find out how much noise comes through. The neighbours can probably already hear footsteps from upstairs.

We have a flat we use at weekends. It’s on the top (second) floor of an old building which was first built as a hotel in the 1890s, and converted to flats in the 1980s. All the flats have wooden floors - our downstairs neighbour can sometimes hear us walking about, and we can just about hear her tv. I only play music there at low levels unless I know she’s out, as I don’t want to make life unpleasant for her - last person who lived in our flat was awful so she deserves a bit of consideration. Living in a flat is a very different dynamic to living in a house.

Mick

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2

On 09/08/2021 at 22:20, Newton John said:

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

The boys aren’t audiophiles.

My youngest had the choice of Katans or Ninkas and he chose the Ninkas because he thinks big speakers look way better. He’s got the use of my old ROCK NUC Roon as an end point that gives him pretty good sound quality from my NAS and Qobuz account while he’s living at home. He doesn’t use it because he prefers streaming Spotify from his phone. They want a turntable because they think it’ll impress their friends. Sadly, I don’t think they’d appreciate a DSM. 

This should be a concern for the HiFi industry. When my son moved into his new flat, I offered him my Linn Classik/Kans combo but he said he would prefer a Naim Muso. I then offered to buy him a new Selekt plus speakers and again he turned me down. I ended up buying him the muso. Saved myself some cash and he loves it.  A loss for traditional HiFi though. 

Every ‘Young’ person I know has Spotify. When I say young, I mean under 50. A lot of them use it with Apple CarPlay which I don’t think supports Qobuz or Tidal. I also work in a lot of private homes and if there is music playing, it is nearly always being played through a TV or an Alexa device. I think we Audiophiles are a dying breed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billz said:

Apple CarPlay which I don’t think supports Qobuz or Tidal

Apple CarPlay supports both Tidal and Qobuz.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Billz said:

I also work in a lot of private homes and if there is music playing, it is nearly always being played through a TV or an Alexa device. I think we Audiophiles are a dying breed.

I'm with you, but there's not much any of us can do about it, and actually it has been this way for quite some time. Apparently the amount of people who are concerned with quality in the enjoyment of their music are indeed something of a rare breed I suppose. 

I am reminded of a friend who is a musician (as well as a software programmer) who was setting up a small recording studio, and he asked me to help with the speaker placement and some of the configuration. He, as well as another friend who was his band mate and who is quite prolific at live and studio audio engineering, were completely blown away when I compared the difference between Tidal streaming FLAC, to either of their Spotify accounts (this was before the whole Tidal and MQA fiasco). I installed the Tidal App on both of their MacBooks and we compared a few different tracks, to the Spotify App feeding the same USB output to a USB interface. I believe the interface was an RME AD/DAC and the speakers were Adam Audio powered monitors (quite impressive sounding once we had them dialed I might add).

It's a problem across the board. Many of the people involved in the creation of music, are themselves limited in their own ability to appreciate music. Some are quite burned out, and having worked live performances I could see how day-in, day-out constantly dealing with that sort of situation could make one tired, and so Spotify is good enough, even for the people making and recording the music. Plus, there is the pressure within younger social circles to stay on top of the trends and hot artists, many of which give absolutely no indication in their music that they actually care about quality (and yes, I am stereotyping a bit here). The anecdote about your son and him preferring to own a Naim Muso instead of a Classik and Kans is a bit of an indicator of this trend. Linn released the Series 3 to attempt to capture this sort of market but people who are settling for Bluetooth to listen to their favorite music with (unless it's in a car or on headphones) are seriously missing out on the nuance and emotion music contains.

Meanwhile, those of us who own and listen to music on our Linn systems are legitimately experiencing music at a deeper level, perhaps more than we may even realize.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Billz said:

This should be a concern for the HiFi industry. When my son moved into his new flat, I offered him my Linn Classik/Kans combo but he said he would prefer a Naim Muso. I then offered to buy him a new Selekt plus speakers and again he turned me down. I ended up buying him the muso. Saved myself some cash and he loves it.  A loss for traditional HiFi though. 

Every ‘Young’ person I know has Spotify. When I say young, I mean under 50. A lot of them use it with Apple CarPlay which I don’t think supports Qobuz or Tidal. I also work in a lot of private homes and if there is music playing, it is nearly always being played through a TV or an Alexa device. I think we Audiophiles are a dying breed.

3 hours ago, Elad Repooc said:

I'm with you, but there's not much any of us can do about it, and actually it has been this way for quite some time. Apparently the amount of people who are concerned with quality in the enjoyment of their music are indeed something of a rare breed I suppose. 

I am reminded of a friend who is a musician (as well as a software programmer) who was setting up a small recording studio, and he asked me to help with the speaker placement and some of the configuration. He, as well as another friend who was his band mate and who is quite prolific at live and studio audio engineering, were completely blown away when I compared the difference between Tidal streaming FLAC, to either of their Spotify accounts (this was before the whole Tidal and MQA fiasco). I installed the Tidal App on both of their MacBooks and we compared a few different tracks, to the Spotify App feeding the same USB output to a USB interface. I believe the interface was an RME AD/DAC and the speakers were Adam Audio powered monitors (quite impressive sounding once we had them dialed I might add).

It's a problem across the board. Many of the people involved in the creation of music, are themselves limited in their own ability to appreciate music. Some are quite burned out, and having worked live performances I could see how day-in, day-out constantly dealing with that sort of situation could make one tired, and so Spotify is good enough, even for the people making and recording the music. Plus, there is the pressure within younger social circles to stay on top of the trends and hot artists, many of which give absolutely no indication in their music that they actually care about quality (and yes, I am stereotyping a bit here). The anecdote about your son and him preferring to own a Naim Muso instead of a Classik and Kans is a bit of an indicator of this trend. Linn released the Series 3 to attempt to capture this sort of market but people who are settling for Bluetooth to listen to their favorite music with (unless it's in a car or on headphones) are seriously missing out on the nuance and emotion music contains.

Meanwhile, those of us who own and listen to music on our Linn systems are legitimately experiencing music at a deeper level, perhaps more than we may even realize.

My wife and three grown up children have been exposed to good sound quality through me, but still don't get it. Two of them have adopted an allegiance to my home town football team, but none have a love of good sound.

I've got a pair of Organik Exaktboxes on loan at present. To me listening to albums is now raised almost to the level of a transcendential experience. Yet it passes them by completely. Their only interest is in how much they cost.

My daughter helped me with some blind testing of a piece of equipment. Afterwards, she said she could tell the music became much more alive. Yet, it doesn't do anything for her. She's happy to go back to her Spotify playlists on a Bluetooth speaker.

I remember as a child in the sixties being thrilled by the pop pirate radio stations on a crappy transistor through the static. After that to hear a whole album on the family stereogram was mind blowing. Perhaps, it's because streaming on their phones gives them easy access to half decent sound quality they don't yearn for something better like I did.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FWIW the MuSo is an impressive, slap you in the face noise maker. As one who fifteen years ago had Classik/Katans, even then it was a bit of a pain. I still needed an intermediary DAC to get it to make music, as I had not brought my CDs to my new country, but did have a large collection of digital files. Bluetooth and Spotify were non existent as sources, but it required effort (myriad cables/software drivers/Foobar 2000). If it can't be done with two swipes and a click, or yelling at a household electronic spy, most folks will fold like a cheap shirt. The key to my willingness to fiddle about was I had a comprehensive library. Today's yoots own nothing. They pay a few Drachmas per month to have an astonishing library a few swipes away. The Classik setup isn't enough, they would be happy with an MDSM/4 though...but then would they be happy with speakers that need wires and stands and placement? I'd much prefer two Series 3's, but a MuSo is interesting to me, and I've heartily recommended it to lesser mortals. My only question for the Naim being, is the software reliable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newton John said:

My daughter helped me with some blind testing of a piece of equipment. Afterwards, she said she could tell the music became much more alive. Yet, it doesn't do anything for her. She's happy to go back to her Spotify playlists on a Bluetooth speaker.

Ivor expressed an opinion (there’s a novelty) many years ago, that everyone has a “minimum level of expectation”. As long as that level is met, or exceeded, they are content.

’troll

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Apple CarPlay supports both Tidal and Qobuz.

Good to know Akamatsu for my next car. My current model (a 2019 Merc) doesn't have it for some reason, yet my sons 2017 Audi does.

• Like 1

Just now, Billz said:

Good to know Akamatsu for my next car. My current model (a 2019 Merc) doesn't have it for some reason, yet my sons 2017 Audi does.

I have a 2017 Chevrolet Volt that came with Apple CarPlay. Tidal support was added within a year of purchase, then Qobuz support later. Apple CarPlay is a must now that I have it.

• Like 2

@Newton John,

It warms my heart to hear you talk about your boys. A source of endless joy for you, no doubt. :)

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

@Newton John,

It warms my heart to hear you talk about your boys. A source of endless joy for you, no doubt. :)

Thank you, Akamatsu. That's kind of you to say.

Not so much joy this afternoon when I saw the state of Josh's bedroom. :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Newton John said:

Not so much joy this afternoon when I saw the state of Josh's bedroom. :)

xD

• Like 1