too many valves?

bohemian

Too many Valves are bad for your wellbeing. Because I'm such a kind person, I'm pleased to take any spare or excess equipment. 

I know. 

I'm all heart. 

😇😁

• Haha 1

Radford 8, Trilogy 8, Leak 9, 834P 3, plus guitar amplifiers ... natch I don't use them all at once

A friend of mind used to own an NVO SPA II phono stage and that had 22 valves.

2 hours ago, pmcuk said:

If I could run my entire system with 2 valves I would! I hate adding stages, even valve stages. Each added stage kills a tiny bit of transparency in the sound. So my entire system has 6 valves. Two input tubes, one per channel, and a couple of 300b outputs. That leaves 2 rectifiers. The reason for 2 and not a single one is that I use AZ1 or AZ11 mesh rectifiers - the audio equivalent of single malt whisky. You need 2 for the current. So for me less is more!

I completely agree about the 'fewer the better' in the actual signal path. I tend to use paralleled double triodes or single-ended. My preamp has just one valve per channel. The phono, two per channel. I did try one, but the gain needed is more sensibly split across two stages, with the RIAA equalisation similarly split. The 845 has one gain stage and one driver stage. In the next re-vamp, I will probably try and lose the first gain stage, as I may well be able to do without it. On the other hand, my valve power supplies are pure overkill. Spearate left and right channel supplies, valve regulation with triode-pentode shunt and a VR valves for reference voltage, or daisy-chained VR valves. Plus, valve rectifiers are very nice looking things usually.

As for the 'stash', that is probably best not mentioned. Suffice it to say that I started collecting valves back in the days when you could buy tea chests full of NOS stuff for pennies. Whenever I've come across something interesting, I've tended to buy ten if I need two, on the basis of 'why not'. I then went throught the 'Russian surplus stock' phase whan that stuff was similarly going for as close to free of charge as you could get. I'm sure Royal Mail must think I worked for the KGB, with the amount of packages arriving regularly. I seriously daren't count them all. There are still boxes in the garage, as well as the boxes in the workshop and I'm unfortunately well past the stage where I can do anything with them all. On the other hand, there are plenty that now comprise 'retirement fund' material, as more than a few are now 'worth' obscene amounts.

Basically, I am a valve addict. And happy to be so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

😪😪😪😪😪😪 I only have 15 in my rig. 

CDP 2

Phono 3

DAC 2

Monoblocs 8

Sort your life out!:rofl::geek:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Baggawire said:

:notworthy:

Only valves in the pre and power amps in the current system, but as the power uses 833's and are audio jewellery all is well...

8 hours ago, Baggawire said:

I think I saw and heard that. I might even have a couple of Russian Rocket Valves formerly used in it... 😎

Only 14 in my whole 6 amp active setup ….crucially I think 1 valve per channel in my DHT preamp sets the overall sound of my system combined with the two valves per channel in my DAC