Where can I buy old CDs?

I really like classical music, and instrumental music. There doesn't seem to be any songs on YouTube that I like so I'm looking to buy some old CDs with timeless songs to listen when I need to work. Where can I buy them, please guide me how to buy them

You can still get CDs from amazon. Try also ebay. Do fill in your personal details.

36 minutes ago, ArthurHolland said:

I really like classical music, and instrumental music. There doesn't seem to be any songs on YouTube that I like so I'm looking to buy some old CDs with timeless songs to listen when I need to work. Where can I buy them, please guide me how to buy them

As you are from Atlanta maybe ask on a USA forum .

Super Wammer

Where about are you and what sort of classical music do you wish to listen to

Ive got hundreds of Deutche Gramaphon classical albums on CD which I may be persuaded to part with.

Kindest regards Julian 

Discogs.  Amazon. eBay. For those in the UK, musicMagpie and World of Books are great places to pick up classic CDs for next to nothing.

Edited by Zen Monkey

Quality classical CDs at my local charity shop 5 for a £1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, slavedata said:

Quality classical CDs at my local charity shop 5 for a £1

Same here Sue Ryder Peterborough , normally about £1 each but now on offer 5 for £1.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of my favourite hobbies over the past year or so is browsing charity shops for cds, often some amazing bargains. You're better off looking in older/affluent areas to be honest otherwise it can be very mainstream pop/boybands etc 😜

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Barbour81 said:

One of my favourite hobbies over the past year or so is browsing charity shops for cds, often some amazing bargains. You're better off looking in older/affluent areas to be honest otherwise it can be very mainstream pop/boybands etc 😜

Absolutely.  

With the current brainwashing, sorry... mindset.... that CDs have had their day, it's easy to have your own personal field day.  It helps to have fairly eclectic taste of course.  

My logic works like this, if I can come home with 6 or 7 CDs for less than a fiver, it definitely beats buying one new vinyl record for £30 from Amazon and not only finding it's a bad pressing but it's been packaged so badly the sleeve is wrecked. 😒  With CDs all you need to do is keep a stock of new jewel cases... 😎

Just don't do it where I live, okay?  Otherwise my mates Reggie and Ronnie Snackbar will come round and rearrange your hifi.   

Edited by Don Ruperto
  • Haha 1

I just came back with 9cds for £6 in the charity shops- 

eclectic mix of 3 Norah Jones, 1 U2, 1 Flaming Lips, 1 Nils Lofgren, 1 Sky and the classical one: Martinů The Epic Of Gilgamesh.

Nice little haul.

You were done mate!  😄  Sorry, only joking.  

Out of curiosity, which Norah Jones?  The first 3 albums are common, after that they're a little more difficult to find.

Last 2 weeks for me:

With the Beatles

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

The Four Tops - Lost and Found - 1963-1964

Handel - Judas Maccabaeus - Hyperion 2CD

Lhasa - The Living Road

Beethoven Complete Piano Concertos - Paul Lewis - 3CD - Harmonia Mundi

Rough Guide to Morocco

Susheela Raman - Music For Crocodiles

The Art and Soul of the Mande Griots - Syllart

On 09/08/2021 at 06:42, ArthurHolland said:

On 09/08/2021 at 07:19, Bazzer said:

As you are from Atlanta maybe ask on a USA forum .

This is an old thread so Klassik is skeptical that OP is still reading this, but if OP is in Atlanta, Georgia and wants to buy used CDs of various genres, Klassik recommends visiting one of the two Half Price Books stores that are in the Atlanta suburbs.  HPB is a chain of new-used media stores from Texas and Klassik has purchased quite a few CDs and SACDs from them.  Prices vary by location and depending on who is doing the pricing, but usually the prices are quite good.  In addition to buying and selling used CDs, HPB also sells new, sealed CDs that are overstocks, cut-outs, and stuff like that.  For reasons Klassik cannot explain, HPB often sells new, sealed CDs for less than used ones.  o.O  Oh well, Klassik has purchased new CDs and even SACDs for as little as $1.99 USD from there.

HPB also has records, audio cassettes, 8-tracks, and occasionally other oddities. 

https://www.hpb.com/all-stores-list

Here is the CD selection at the Decatur (Atlanta) location (these CD bins they have are usually double-sided so double what you see here):

large.jpg

And the East Cobb (Atlanta) location:

large.jpg

7 minutes ago, TIU said:

In the US are they called thrift stores?

Sí señor.  One would not be totally confused here if it's called a charity shop, but thrift store is the usual name for them here.  Prices for CDs vary significantly at thrift stores here in Houston.  Goodwill, the largest chain of thrift stores here in Houston, usually wants $1.99 USD (plus tax) for CDs.  Goodwills elsewhere and other thrifts may want as little as 25 cents per album, but others may want more.  The typical problem with thrift store CDs is that they don't check the CD cases first to see if the proper disc is in the right case or if the CD is in acceptable condition.  It's always worth cracking open the case and inspecting the disc to make sure it's the right disc and it's in good condition.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1