Jump to content

SSD vs. HDD


Recommended Posts

Got a answer on the ticket i raised from support Asustor about replacing the hdd..

there's no way to clone a HDD with ADM for single volumes. Mirroring is only for RAID1 or above
you have to create another volume with your new HDD in Storage Manager.
The new volume will be named Volume2. Then you create shared folders for volume2 in Access Control and you copy/paste your data via File Explorer.
You can also schedule them in Backup and Restore - Internal backup
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rudi64 said:

Got a answer on the ticket i raised from support Asustor about replacing the hdd..

there's no way to clone a HDD with ADM for single volumes. Mirroring is only for RAID1 or above
you have to create another volume with your new HDD in Storage Manager.
The new volume will be named Volume2. Then you create shared folders for volume2 in Access Control and you copy/paste your data via File Explorer.
You can also schedule them in Backup and Restore - Internal backup
 

Yeah, that's what I expected.

If it will let you (it may not - though you could definitely do it from the command line), you could create a RAID1 array with only a single device (your SSD) and use it as a 'failed' array until you get a second matching SSD, then add that to the array and you would then have mirrored redundancy in case of a drive failure or desire to replace with a larger disk.

You can't do it after the fact with your HDD unfortunately as you have to repartition the disk (your NAS will be doing this for you with the new setup).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

So nothing to loose… try backup/recovery and if it didn‘t work as expected you can still try the copy path.

sure..lets see what happens, thanks for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So, i played it save and made a fresh install and copied my music to the new installed ssd.

Sound differences....i would say yes, in a positive way that i feel like theres more feel to the music, more spacious sound and detail..its hard to compare but the impression is there..:/

Dead quiet in the living room now, startup at the blink of a eye, so all positive things and a nice upgrade with a brand new samsung evo 870 4T ssd.

Edited by Rudi64
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   On 10/08/2021 at 20:00,  LudwigD said: 

I changed my music server from  a QNAP NAS TVS671 with HDD's towards a Mac mini (M1 and SSD). Network(Cisco Meraki)  is  still the same, but the music sounds better. And everything works more fluently. So for me, a step forward. 

LD

The Mac Mini M1 and SSD could be a solution for me – as I'm an Apple freak since 1992 O.o – when my system will change from CD12 + Tunebox to DSM Hub + Organik Exaktbox.

How do you manage with a Mac Mini / PC : can a second SSD be plug later, and Linn app or Roon work without problem with 2 SSD ?

Edited by Chris 1970
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2021 at 19:32, Chris 1970 said:

How do you manage with a Mac Mini / PC : can a second SSD be plug later

I'm not sure, but I don' t think so. 

LD

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2021 at 18:32, Chris 1970 said:
   On 10/08/2021 at 20:00,  LudwigD said: 

I changed my music server from  a QNAP NAS TVS671 with HDD's towards a Mac mini (M1 and SSD). Network(Cisco Meraki)  is  still the same, but the music sounds better. And everything works more fluently. So for me, a step forward. 

LD

The Mac Mini M1 and SSD could be a solution for me – as I'm an Apple freak since 1992 O.o – when my system will change from CD12 + Tunebox to DSM Hub + Organik Exaktbox.

How do you manage with a Mac Mini / PC : can a second SSD be plug later, and Linn app or Roon work without problem with 2 SSD ?

I’m fairly sure Roon will work with as many differing folders as you like. Certainly I ran it with two different source folders for a while.

Mick

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Chris 1970Certainly MinimServer and JRiver can access music across multiple folders and in MacOS a disk is just another folder. I have two old Mac minis - one for general stuff and one for music, if I access the Thunderbolt Attached Storage (TAS) on my Music Mac mini from my Office Mac mini then it appears as /Volumes/DJB (I called it DJB as it's my digital juke box) and my second disk shows up as /Volumes/DJBXtra so the software has no idea my music is stored on two disks attached to another device across a network. So Roon should work no problem just as the two programs I have used do. As @MickC says above. 

If for any reason it doesn't index across folders then we can overcome this using symbolic links. Make a directory called Music and make aliases for  /Volumes/DJB and /Volumes/DJBXtra in the Music folder. The software won't care if they are HDD or SDD or a mixture. I'm 99% sure Roon won't need such jiggery pokery. 

Originally I had my Thunderbolt Attached Storage, which is a WD Duo, set up as RAID 1 with mirroring, but when I exceeded its capacity, I split it into two separate disks, just a bunch of disks (JBOD), and restored from backup copying half my music files to one disk and half to the other. I reindexed and it all worked. So you can add disks at a later stage. 

I'm not sure how is easy it is to add things inside the chassis of a new Mac mini, but adding thunderbolt attached storage is no problem.  Operationally, it will work very quickly.  I would be cautious with ultrafast M.2 PCIe NVME SSD storage as I'm not sure the Mac's thunderbolt ports can handle all of these, but with normal SSD you should move data at around 2.5 GB per second, which is much faster than the internal SSD in my 2012 Mac mini.

So will multiple plugged in SSDs work? Yes they will.  

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...