Yesterday a mains cable sceptic had to revise his thoughts.

Fourlegs

22 minutes ago, Audinista said:

Interesting. 

Just two quotes from this review: 

When measuring: 

1)   "Now let's use Audioquest's cable... Clearly the cables make no difference either."

When listening:

2)  "I then switched to generic cord. Instantly I could tell the sound was improved with the generic cable! Not a typo. The generic cable sounded better."

Just another confirmation that measurements often fail to detect any difference even when we can hear it clearly.  

And also quoting the review out of context.

A little bit like CNN or bbc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DomT said:

It’s in black and white that you deliberately misquoted me. You are more confused than I thought.  And you still haven’t said what bits you think change 😂😂😂😂

Hi,

You have lied twice about what i have said. These were file size and bit depth, when i mentioned neither. You continue to lie about me.

Regards,

Shadders.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I think there’s something quite charming about euphoric distortion.

I'm told it only counts as "euphoric" if it brings you to orgasm... :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I'm told it only counts as "euphoric" if it brings you to orgasm... :D

For that you need to place one finger on the plus and one on the negative......the final orgasm.......:D

Please do NOT try this at home. :o

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

This is actually quite a helpful review from ASR for once!

I’m not sure which glasses you had on when reading it but my big problem with his ‘review’ is that he claims to have addressed the matter of sound quality by listening himself (I have no big problem with him not doing blind listening as required by The Shadders First Law) but my gripe is that he declares the sound simply as “better” without the Audioquest compared to a generic cable and gives no clue as to what he heard that made it better according to him.

He continually sets himself up as being prosecutor, expert witness, judge and jury yet while he copies and pastes graphs ad nauseam his listening verdict is merely ‘guilty’ with no additional information. He asks us to take his listening expertise and judgment on trust and clearly does not think we need to bother our little heads with what he heard that made him conclude one sounded better than the other. This is condescension taken to another level. 

I have little time for the man and when I read one of his reviews all I can think of is smug grinning face in his videos as he records yet another episode of why he considers audiophiles to be stupid.

There. I feel better for that. 😀 (non ironic)

• Like 2

I had my “surprised/relieved” glasses on; they make negative expectation bias more palatable. I’ll drop them off over the weekend so you can try them yourself!

Amir actually listening? I also thought the AC related graphs made more sense than many. I did spend less than 60 seconds skimming the review however.

23 minutes ago, DomT said:

You are confused as to how DAWs work, they don’t work like you think they do, and it’s distracting this thread. 

Sorry if I am distracting you as I was trying to clarify the difference between you and @Shadders. I have checked my understanding of DAWs and like any digital system it works on sequences of binary numbers (that have a certain bit depth). Any change can only be encoded by having different sequences of binary numbers. Simple as that. I will not press this further a leave you and @Shadders to miss understand each other.

Regards Andrew 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

PS, Shadders has still not addressed the utter stupidity of The Shadders First Law of Critical Listening which I outlined earlier.

Nor have you laid out your methodology for critical listening unless I somehow missed it. Regards Andrew 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

It is well known that different people prefer some distortion and there is even a term for it "euphoric distortion". I am not aware of any research that shows that absolutely accuracy has ever been correlated to prefered presentation.😉

Regards Andrew 

Ahh yes its called Vinyl :minikev:

• Haha 1

I’ve just decided to unfollow this thread.

Please don’t react to this or quote me 😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Sorry if I am distracting you as I was trying to clarify the difference between you and @Shadders. I have checked my understanding of DAWs and like any digital system it works on sequences of binary numbers (that have a certain bit depth). Any change can only be encoded by having different sequences of binary numbers. Simple as that. I will not press this further a leave you and @Shadders to miss understand each other.

Regards Andrew 

The difference is that I have owned a studio for three decades and Shadders has yet to explain what he is talking about but that’s forums for you. 

1 minute ago, DomT said:

The difference is that I have owned a studio for three decades and Shadders has yet to explain what he is talking about but that’s forums for you. 

Hi,

It is easy, and as i stated before, any changes to the effects used, such as reverb (your example) changes the bits. That is why listening is relevant to your example of why just listening is acceptable.

Regards,

Shadders.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Nor have you laid out your methodology for critical listening unless I somehow missed it. Regards Andrew 

I was deliberately ignoring you so there is little point in repeating your post.  Between you and Shadders you have set about sucking the fun out of this thread. But I should not be surprised I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomT said:

The audio quality does not change if you record one, two or fifty tracks. The audio quality does not change if you use effects or not. A stereo file is produced at the end of the process for consumers. 

What numbers are you referring to? There are none that matter. The only thing that matters is the end resulting stereo file and it’s bit depth Shadders is confused and is confusing others. Nothing to see here.

ISTM that you are saying that changing the audio signal will not change the digital file made from it. This makes zero sense, but then, this is a mains cable thread.

Sorry to suck all the joy and fun from it, fourlegs.

• Like 1