Raspberry Pi case

Hi all 

Can anyone recommend a case with an integrated on/off button for a Raspberry Pi 3? Currently have mine attached to a touchscreen display but am finding that I'm using my phone mostly to control the pi and so I'm going to remove the display and move the pi closer to the rest of my system.

Thanks

I just did a search for

on/off button for a Raspberry Pi 3

and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnMZ4DXDNo

If you shut down the pi remotely then you caould use a power cable (or short extension) with an on/off switch.

It might also depend which OS is on the pi and which state you wish the pi to be left in

There is a case by Argon which might suffice

It might help if you do some internet searching for options if noboby comes up with a suitable suggestion

ronnie

Edited by Man in a van
typos

31 minutes ago, Shadowbox81 said:

Hi all 

Can anyone recommend a case with an integrated on/off button for a Raspberry Pi 3? Currently have mine attached to a touchscreen display but am finding that I'm using my phone mostly to control the pi and so I'm going to remove the display and move the pi closer to the rest of my system.

Thanks

Why do you need to turn the Pi off? It probably only consumes about 200 to 300 mA at idle.

If you are using a wall wart power supply for your Pi there are a number of options that have on/off buttons wired in the lead and these would let you easily just turn the Pi off . As far as I know because of the way power is connected through the mini USB or C USB connector no case has ever been made that has an on / off switch except where a much larger case which does not allow access to the Pi like the Retro NES cases.

Are you ok with doing a bit of DIY case bodging and also some command line configuration stuff? 

If so Audiophonics do a kit with a button and a board that allows you to shut the line down gracefully and power it up again using a push button.  I have used it in my pi based DIY streamer but understand it’s not something everyone would be interested in doing.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/audiophonics-pi-spc-reg-power-management-power-supply-for-raspberry-pi-p-11504.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobovox said:

Are you ok with doing a bit of DIY case bodging and also some command line configuration stuff? 

If so Audiophonics do a kit with a button and a board that allows you to shut the line down gracefully and power it up again using a push button.  I have used it in my pi based DIY streamer but understand it’s not something everyone would be interested in doing.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/audiophonics-pi-spc-reg-power-management-power-supply-for-raspberry-pi-p-11504.html

Here's one they made earlier :)

power.jpg

ronnie

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Good shout. Simple solution which I could then use with a basic case.

8 hours ago, rdale said:

Why do you need to turn the Pi off? It probably only consumes about 200 to 300 mA at idle.

Ha ha. Very good point. Probably not, but good to consider the option.

2 hours ago, bobovox said:

In general I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty but I'm not sure that I want to go to the trouble with such a solution at the moment but I might in the future.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that I'm going to probably go for a basic case at the moment with an in line switch in the usb cable and perhaps when I get some time, I might explore putting the pi in an enclosure with the delicate power board and button as suggested by bobovox

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1