Family friendly Linn

On 21/08/2021 at 18:37, Komri said:

Does the Majik DSM/4 automatically come out of standby if Bluetooth paired with Alexa? That would be very helpful.  Downside is no aktive cards support so I couldn't use it with the Kabers without another amp or changing the speakers.

Komris with solos is very special, it was the reference setup when I was at Linn, but out of my price range to buy unfortunately.

I’d not use Bluetooth but connect the Echo (Alexa is the cloud service btw, the hardware are Echos :) ) directly into the amp using an RCA lead. Using the Linn skill, you could ask Alexa to turn on the amp and then play music. Or consider a fire tv cube/ stick as I mention elsewhere for HiRes playback.

On 29/08/2021 at 19:17, PaulH said:

Seems a bonkers decision by Linn to be honest.

Yes I agree, it's a great way of playing music when multitasking with cooking etc.

I've now got a Majik DSM/3 and spend yesterday getting it sorted. A lot of problems with HDMI compatability, BluRay player not outputting PCM when configured to so no sound. 

Overall, very pleased with it. I have had to keep the Sonos in the system for Alexa music playback as both wired and Bluetooth put all the audio over that link, not just the music, so unworkable unfortunately. I wish Linn would make the DSM an Alexa speaker in the same way Sonos do.....

On 01/09/2021 at 09:19, brantome said:

You might want to consider the use of a fire tv cube or recent fire tv stick directly into an HDMI input on an MDSM/4 as I do and play Amazon Music HD at resolutions up to 24/192

With this could I have a Dot for control, announcements etc and music through the Fire TV? This could be the best way forward, I'll look into the Alexa commands.

I'm happy with using an app for serious listening so 24/192 less relevant, but do want something that plays radio and the kids mucosa via voice. 

6 hours ago, Komri said:

With this could I have a Dot for control, announcements etc and music through the Fire TV? This could be the best way forward, I'll look into the Alexa commands.

I'm happy with using an app for serious listening so 24/192 less relevant, but do want something that plays radio and the kids mucosa via voice. 

Yeah, there are a couple of ways of doing that - the best way is to put the Dot and Fire tv into a device/room group and set the fire tv as the default audio speaker for that group. With that setup, the Dot will respond to questions, announcements etc from its speaker while automatically redirecting music and radio to the fire tv

On 01/09/2021 at 16:21, brantome said:

No doubt wearing a tin foil hat while strolling up the high street. Spy devices indeed 😂😂😂

No, the tin foil would stop me seeing the shuttered businesses.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 01:42, Komri said:

The main system consists of prototype speakers that I designed whilst working for Linn many years ago. The Komri was my greatest achievement, Ninkas, Katans and Akurates followed to name some. I'm proud that 20 years on they Komri hasn't been beaten and the 3K arrays are still in production! I'd love to hear Exakt Komris.

I think all the people I knew at Linn have moved on so looking here for info on the newer products I'm not familiar with. 

Wow - quite a heritage there! Impressive. The part of the people have moved on has me curios? Is that typical of the industry?

Also are you still in the speaker design business?

I really get the use of voice control, I use it with Apple Music in the car and through both a big and small Apple HomePod. However, Siri just doesn’t always understand what I ask for, especially if it is not main stream…

As suggested earlier, Roon is my family friendly integration. Qobuz and my library doing the fetching.

With Linn being Scottish, Glaswegian even, I doubt they have much interest in voice control in house… Even if they did, you would have to learn to speak Glaswegian!... 

On 04/09/2021 at 16:49, brantome said:

In terms of music commands, I find this to be a very good resource 

Alexa music commands

Thanks, some useful info I didn't have, hope to get some time to try these and the fire stick at the weekend 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mcgilroy said:

Also are you still in the speaker design business?

No, aviation R&D now. Its a very different industry but very interesting and challenging. 

I still do audio projects on the side when I get time.

On 14/09/2021 at 22:19, Komri said:

No, aviation R&D now. Its a very different industry but very interesting and challenging. 

I still do audio projects on the side when I get time.

Cool!

What audio project would you tackle if given time and opportunity?