Van den Hul or Tellurium Q

bigfish786

After the success of adding VDH interconnect to my setup, it made me think about my next cable upgrade. 
Speaker Cable At around £20-£30 per Metre, which should I go for? 
system is full Marantz  and Focal speakers. 

Edited by bigfish786

Or Atlas...

1 hour ago, bigfish786 said:

After the success of adding VDH interconnect to my setup, it made me think about my next cable upgrade. 

What are the specs of the Tellurium? That’s right, they’re secret. I’d never go for Tellurium.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I recall that Jerry said in the other thread that he loved the VdH CS122 so that might be a good place to start?  

Edited by Nopiano

On 21/08/2021 at 19:52, Sotosound said:

Or Atlas...

I agree with regards to interconnects.  I thought they were better than VDH having had First, First Ultimate and D102 mk3.  In my system, they imaged better.  Both were fairly neutral.  I prefer Atlas interconnects even to Acrolink.

VDH are good though.  My experience of Tellurium is only from speaker cables and hasn’t been great so far.  For ‘speaker cables, Atlas and Black Rhodium are my favourites as they sound good but don’t recess the mid.

Edited by HectorHughMunro
  • Like 2

Personally I would try this first ..for the few quid it is going to cost what have you got to lose.  

I have used this type for years .. the only cable that tempted me to change was Kondo Silver Ribbon Speaker cable - but the cost was nearly as much as my loudspeakers .. to that gets me thinking what if i spent another 10k on the speakers instead .. ain't gonna happen 

Product Code:  992012 Speaker Cable image

4.0mm (511/0.1mm) 2Core Parallel OFC PVC Clear Speaker Cable

Price per metre

1-49 50-99 100+
£1.98 £1.70 £1.58

https://www.electriccable.co.uk/RWDspeakercableTECC10.php#TECC10

Edited by uzzy
spelling
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I agree with regards to interconnects.  I thought they were better than VDH having had First, First Ultimate and D102 mk3.  In my system, they imaged better.  Both were fairly neutral.  I prefer Atlas interconnects even to Acrolink.

VDH are good though.  My experience of Tellurium is only from speaker cables and hasn’t been great so far.  For ‘speaker cables, Atlas and Black Rhodium are my favourites as they sound good but don’t recess the mid.

I upgraded from the VDH D102 Mk 3 to Atlas Navigator and didn't look back.

The D102 Mk 3 is a really great interconnect. It's just that the Atlas Navigator is better.

On 21/08/2021 at 22:55, Nopiano said:

I recall that Jerry said in the other thread that he loved the VdH CS122 so that might be a good place to start?  

Quite right, the CS122 have been my favourite speaker cables for a couple of years now. Oodles of in the room presence, a 'you are there' cable just bursting with musical nuance. Quite startlingly good imo. They let an amazing amount of music through. 

I've tried quite a few Tellurium cables up to Silver 2 but never settled with them. They are more characterful than most and always seem to irritate me after a while. 

Atlas has been mentioned, I can't say I agree. I find them more about hifi than music, quite "impressive" in a short term dem, though. I did a Hifi Pig review of a set. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 19:49, bigfish786 said:

I use VDH Magnum replaced my Transparent Audio Super MM2, great value.

I’ve had TQ Black ll speaker cables but now have VDH CS352. The TQ was more forward and tonally brighter but in the right system, is impressive. The VDH suits my system better as it seems to have a tonally rich signature but in no way dull as I compared side by side. 
I also use VDH The Wave interconnects and again, similar results. I purchased these as second hand or ex dem. VDH cables are built extremely well but watch for fakes, there are a number of them floating around.

• Like 1

Both the VDH magnum and the 352 are strong possibilities. I’ll look into these further. Thanks for the responses 👍😊

• Like 1

One thing to say about VDH interconnects and speaker cables - in my experience there isn't really a house sound.  In my opinion, it's a question of judging each product by its own characteristics.  

Odd as it might seem, I've never tried any CS122 s/cs (Teatrack as it would be for me).  Is it true that they are a little more "tolerant" than most cables, that as the volume climbs they just take things in their stride?  I'm struggling for the right terminology here!  

I started off with VdH Teatrack as my speakers are bi-wire. But a more convenient longer length of CS122 (identical but single wire for the uninitiated) came up on flea bay at a good price. Another 20 quid or so for a set of CS122 jumpers and I couldn't hear a difference from Teatrack in my system. Best speaker cables I've had, and not by a little. 

Edited by JANDL100

I had Teatrack in my previous system and found it to be good - basically neutral, perhaps a touch "smooth", although I wouldn't go as far as to call it rolled-off. My WB Curves could still rip my eardrums apart on bright recordings! I'd be interested to hear it comparison to my current Kimber 8PR (which is only the entry-level cable from RA), although in truth I have some bigger purchases to make before I go messing around with cables and the like

After a lifetime of different cables I now have a (very expensive) Tellurium loom.  These cables work for me but I fully accept that cables are system dependent.

• Sad 1