NGKDSM Audio vs. NGKDSM AV

1 hour ago, Newton John said:

Which raises the question - why is there no music version (without HDMI) of the Next-Gen KSH?

Very good question. Maybe because the DAC is outside the case and their is no impact on sound quality. Obviously Linn think, that the KSH fullfill the requirements of the pure audiophile client.

Should I extend my original question? Has anymore compared NGKDSM AV vs. NGKDSM Audio vs. NGKSH + Klimax NG Exaxtbox. But I think this comparison is a little bit to complicate.

1 minute ago, cspgqqt said:

but it seems strange that you sound serious even you do not own one and never have listened to one yourself?

As mentioned before, I already listend to the NGKDSM AV but I didn‘t make the comparison. 
If I had already made the comparison, I probably wouldn't have asked the question, would I?
If you are happy with your decision and you trust your dealer more than your own ears, everything is ok.
Just enjoy the NGKDSM AV.
I hope that I will soon be able to make the comparison myself and then decide whether and which club I will buy.
As long as this is not the case, I am curious whether forum members will make this comparison and report their personal experiences.
That's what a forum is for, right?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cspgqqt said:

Why would you ask other members for opinion? Do you believe in yourself?
I have stated before many times, it does not make sense to me, and I firmly believe that you are making a joke (at least on yourself) :)

I think everything has already been said on this.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to do the comparison myself and I am looking forward to the feedback from other forum members.

For those who are not interested, you are completely free to ignore this thread.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

What a great name for a band. Trademark it Paul.

’troll

Thanks ‘troll, a great idea. 😊

Sounds like it should be the name of a punk band, or heavy metal? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Sounds like it should be the name of a punk band, or heavy metal? 

Or an undercover Country Band? 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

Obviously Linn think, that the KSH fullfill the requirements of the pure audiophile client.

That, for me, is the ideal solution - go Exakt and use Klimax Exaktboxes or Exakt 350s, then you just need a Hub. If you already own KEBs or 350s, this actually works out £5K cheaper than a DSM/3 A/V or Music and you get loads more Organik DACs.

’troll

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

That, for me, is the ideal solution - go Exakt and use Klimax Exaktboxes or Exakt 350s, then you just need a Hub. If you already own KEBs or 350s, this actually works out £5K cheaper than a DSM/3 A/V or Music and you get loads more Organik DACs.

’troll

Ksh £15000 Klimax exaktboxes £30000

20 hours ago, hannson.design said:

As far as I’m concerned, the fact that Linn sell a version without HDMI, yet claim there is no difference in performance, is practically an admission that the HDMI boards degrade the performance of the NGKDSM. If it were true that the performance is identical, there is no need for a version without HDMI. Fewer facilities, fewer components, same sound, same price. Where’s the logic in that?

I’m pleased that Linn are selling a version without HDMI though, this suggests to me that they still care about making “pitch perfect” HiFi for those who appreciate that kind of thing (like me!).

Don't ignore marketing reasons, to meet perceptions in the market, valid or not.

11 hours ago, hannson.design said:

Only theory? I don’t think so! I currently use a KDS as a source for an Exakt system and have a KEDSM in a box waiting to be sold. The difference in musicality isn’t subtle! The KEDSM was bought so that I could feed the TV through the system, but the loss of musicality, even with the HDMI circuit switched off, is too great to even consider the KEDSM as a replacement for the KDS.

This is interesting.

What if you could turn off the DAC in the KDS?  That would be even more interesting.

1 hour ago, Suffolkboy said:

Ksh £15000 Klimax exaktboxes £30000

KSH £15k + Organik upgrade £10.8k = £25.8k. I rounded down and did say if you already own…

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll

NGKDH + Organik Klimax Exaktboxes + Twins + Komris @fschmeis sounded great!

• Like 5

On 01/09/2021 at 23:54, hannson.design said:

Only theory? I don’t think so! I currently use a KDS as a source for an Exakt system and have a KEDSM in a box waiting to be sold. The difference in musicality isn’t subtle! The KEDSM was bought so that I could feed the TV through the system, but the loss of musicality, even with the HDMI circuit switched off, is too great to even consider the KEDSM as a replacement for the KDS.

Ah - but it depends whether you are comparing a KDSM to a KDS/3 or an earlier version. It was listening to the then new KDS/3 versus my KEDSM that persuaded my swap to a KSH. The KDS/3 was clearly better in my Exakt system and the KSH replicated that superiority over the KEDSM.

• Like 2

On 01/09/2021 at 08:50, akamatsu said:

I've posted this elsewhere. It explains that HDMI does degrade audio quality. It's not an easy read. I read it over several times.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-deep-dive-into-hdmi-audio-performance.56/

It's not an easy read because it mostly makes no sense :)

It's entirely confusing and I take a number of issues with his approach, not least of which is that he lauds the Mark Levinson 502 preamp/processor as "the mother of all processors", which any self-respecting audio enthusiast wouldn't be squawking so loudly about in an assessment of HDMI performance if he actually knew what he was doing, or could hear for that matter.

On that note it seems he hears with instruments and software we are simply expected to trust, instead of his ears.

Quite frankly the flaws in his entire approach are obvious to anyone who has actually spent time with this stuff. The article is mostly a spurious and meaningless attempt to futilely compare apples and oranges.

I'd question any and every assessment of anything Amir has recommended and reviewed after the few times I've bothered to read through his posts or watch a video. The guy is all over the place, and does more to confuse and muddy the waters than anything else. I don't find his content very enlightening, and hardly "scientific", despite the marketing attempt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Elad Repooc said:

It's not an easy read because it mostly makes no sense :)

It's entirely confusing and I take a number of issues with his approach, not least of which is that he lauds the Mark Levinson 502 preamp/processor as "the mother of all processors", which any self-respecting audio enthusiast wouldn't be squawking so loudly about in an assessment of HDMI performance if he actually knew what he was doing, or could hear for that matter.

On that note it seems he hears with instruments and software we are simply expected to trust, instead of his ears.

Quite frankly the flaws in his entire approach are obvious to anyone who has actually spent time with this stuff. The article is mostly a spurious and meaningless attempt to futilely compare apples and oranges.

I'd question any and every assessment of anything Amir has recommended and reviewed after the few times I've bothered to read through his posts or watch a video. The guy is all over the place, and does more to confuse and muddy the waters than anything else. I don't find his content very enlightening, and hardly "scientific", despite the marketing attempt.

Absolutely right on!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1