Your first vinyl

As suggested by Baba Yaga (I take no credit for the concept of this one)!:

Could be a fun thread on it’s own: your first vinyl

So, my first album was an MFP 1812 Overture record -an attempt by my dad to educate me in the more serious end of music. This had been preceded by the one and only single that I possessed - The Pretty Things "Dont Bring Me Down" -which I still have!

The first one that I bought 'with my own money' was in a similar vein to 'Troll. It was again an MFP pressing and was  "T. Rex" - the one with "Ride a White Swan" and "Deborah" on it. The die was cast! Fortunately I built my own turntable  at the same time - an SP25 -  and therefore I have looked after everything that followed it (as best as possible). Party Tapes were  an  essential part of record preservation!

How things change -  I'm sat here listening to Vivaldi - Concerto in C Major, Siegfried Behrend on Guitar, DG139 417 which I have just received from eBay (and very good it is too). I'm listening to it before I take it up to my 93 year old dad at the weekend - expanding his musical palette out past Classic FM! (Yes, he has  an LP12 too).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I refuse to participate in a thread where an LP is referred to as a ‘vinyl’!

Oh hang on, if I’ve commented I’ve participated in it… 😁😁

…and LP is short for long playing, so I should really call them something else! “I’m off out to buy some long playings”…

Edited by MickC
  • Haha 1

I refuse to participate in a thread where an LP is referred to as a ‘vinyl’!

I'm with you - but amending the title doesn't appear to be an option. "Vinyl" I can live with - collecting 'vinyls' is  certainly off limits!!

• Haha 1

Fairly sure this was my first. I’m not at home to grab it so this Googled image will have to do for the moment:-

EB58233D-949C-4E96-B23C-53FD90CF4530.jpeg

• Like 2

From my Dad collection, probably the one I really found incredible when I was 15.

IMG_0007.thumb.jpeg.fd562d530df04712e8dd2efa7909a4f5.jpeg

• Like 1

From my Dad collection, the one I was afraid of, when I was 10 :D
Just the cover…………

IMG_0012.thumb.jpeg.746163a25b5f7892228bee8460f4e7e2.jpeg

Edited by Chris 1970
  • Like 1

The one I seriously bought, with my "own" money, when I was 18 !
But I was already a CD lover at that time, with a very bad turnable in a low cost hifi kit (the reason perhaps… !)

IMG_0013.thumb.jpeg.3b4ce8eebc501538b01488eb8626725b.jpeg

Edited by Chris 1970

The one I seriously was ashamed of in 1985 when I was 15. I was ashamed because at that age, I've found it not so bad for FM music…

It was a gift… not my fault :D

81Nxhl2HsnL._SL1449_.thumb.jpg.a481d4fa94752639118ad9d39abceaca.jpg

When I was 2.5  years old, my parents gave me their old Seabreeze turntable, with a stack of classical records

‘My favorites were Beethoven’s symphonies, Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and  1812 Overture. 

My first Long Play Vinyl Record which I purchased with my own money, was the Beach Boys Surfer Girl, although I did have a couple of Beatles 45’s

I delivered newspapers, cut lawns and pulled weeds in gardens to make some money to build my record collection.  

AE72431E-B2D7-4324-AF60-20D7D01B0FE8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I must be one of the old farts around here.  My first 'record' was 'Day-O  Banana Boat' 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rjinaz86323 said:

I must be one of the old farts around here.  My first 'record' was 'Day-O  Banana Boat' 

I’m an old fart so I remember that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

When I was 2.5  years old, my parents gave me their old Seabreeze turntable, with a stack of classical records

‘My favorites were Beethoven’s symphonies, Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and  1812 Overture. 

My first Long Play Vinyl Record which I purchased with my own money, was the Beach Boys Surfer Girl, although I did have a couple of Beatles 45’s

I delivered newspapers, cut lawns and pulled weeds in gardens to make some money to build my record collection.  

AE72431E-B2D7-4324-AF60-20D7D01B0FE8.jpeg

This album was import or canadian pressing?
In France, majority of vinyls en 60' 70' 80' were french pressing…

Edited by Chris 1970

38 minutes ago, Chris 1970 said:

This album was import or canadian pressing?
In France, majority of vinyls en 60' 70' 80' were french pressing…

Back then, many of the albums were Canadian pressings with a solid mixture of American pressings 

In my system at the time, there would have been little difference in resolution between any of the pressings, no matter where they were pressed

Speaking of pressings, I recall a friend trying to fix some of his warped records by placing them  in the oven and placing weights on top when it was heated. He no longer had to worry about the warped records, as they were now completely unplayable  😊

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I recall a friend trying to fix some of his warped records by placing them  in the oven and placing weights on top when it was heated. He no longer had to worry about the warped records, as they were now completely unplayable 

No………… :D:D:D

• Like 1