Your first vinyl

My first records were probably the odd single by Slade, Sweet, Mud, T-Rex, etc. Fortunately, however, my best friend at school had an older brother with far more "sophisticated" musical taste that he introduced us to, so the first LP that I purchased for myself was:

61KiUtZrN%2BS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

On a less musically credible note, I was also a football-mad schoolboy so also got:

SCOTLAND SCOTLAND LP (VINYL ALBUM) UK POLYDOR 1974

Funnily enough looking on Amazon for the image to paste here I see that the only copy there is going for £68. Maybe I should have hung onto it :D

• Like 3

Super Wammer

Absolutely the first. Don’t laugh, I was in the sixth grade. 

79DE446C-3A89-4CDA-B4F5-D55545687D4D.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure, but I think the first I bought with my own savings was one of these two:

Deep.jpg

Heep.jpg

I did, however, start playing my father's Beatles and Elvis singles at the age of around 3. :D

Edited by Tendaberry
  • Like 2

On 27/08/2021 at 12:59, Dasher said:

So, my first album was an MFP 1812 Overture record -an attempt by my dad to educate me in the more serious end of music.

Is this the one with the cannon shot?

I think a direct cut version was a popular test album in the 80‘s or so for some for testing the tracking capabilities of the pickup system

(kind of stupid :doh:, caused a lot of damage)

Edited by Baba Yaga
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Is this the one with the cannon shot?

I think a direct cut version was a popular test album in the 80‘s or so for some for testing the tracking capabilities of the pickup system

(kind of stupid :doh:, caused a lot of damage)

I think that it may be, yes, but it certainly isn't direct cut - very much a budget album (with Poet and the Peasant, Fingal's Cave and others on it too). It suffered many years of abuse on my dad's (the family's) self built radiogram (BSR TT). As a 9 year old boy the cannon was of course my only real fascination with the record!

• Like 2

My first LP was Slade Alive! I bought this after spending a week of my school holidays picking peas in 1972. I continued to buy LP’s right up to 1986 until I purchased my first CD player and a couple of CD’s. During this period of buying LP’s, I never once called them ‘vinyl’. It was always LP’s, albums or records, never vinyl. I no longer own any records, but if I ever did, I don’t think I would call them ‘vinyl’.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Billz said:

I no longer own any records

Billz,

No CD, no LP at all ?

Since when did you choose to be a streaming guy ? Do you use Qobuz now ?

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Billz said:

My first LP was Slade Alive!

I like the song "Darling be Home Soon." Noddy Holder did it justice.

• Like 2

I can't remember which particular LP came first.

Probably either the Best of the Beach Boys or The Four Tops' Greatest Hits.

The first non-compilation LPs I bought were The Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Safe as Milk by Captain Beetheart and the Magic Band and The Moody Blues' In Search of the Lost Chord.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Chris 1970 said:

Billz,

No CD, no LP at all ?

Since when did you choose to be a streaming guy ? Do you use Qobuz now ?

I sold all my LP’s back in the late 80’s so that I could buy CD’s (often buying the same album again). I ripped all my CD’s to FLAC about 10 years ago. About 5 years ago I had a clear out of stuff we no longer used and took it to the charity shop. This included all my CD’s and DVD’s. Up in my attic there is about 20 LP’s that my wife wouldn’t part with, a bunch of 7” and 12” singles that may or may not be collectible’s and a few ‘special edition CD’s’. They will probably be thrown out if and when we downsize.

I chose the streaming route when a friend gave me a loan of a SneakyDS he was selling as he had just upgraded to a MajikDS. This was about 10 years ago, maybe a bit more. It took me about 5 minutes of listening to decide that CD’s were finished for me. I do have Qobuz and Roon and a lot more free space in my house. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I like the song "Darling be Home Soon." Noddy Holder did it justice.

Yes, great song. Slade we’re also the first band I went to see live. Although, technically, Thin Lizzy were the first band I saw live as they were the support band.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Billz said:

Yes, great song. Slade we’re also the first band I went to see live. Although, technically, Thin Lizzy were the first band I saw live as they were the support band.

Ah, now there's an additional twist to the thread - First band/concert you saw live...

For me, it was Elvis Costello and the Attractions. Intriguingly enough that was also my partner's first gig, same venue, same night. Although we didn't actually meet until some 40 years afterwards :D.

1 hour ago, Billz said:

I caught that tour also  - Manchester Free Trade Hall.  I think , but can't be certain, that it was my first gig at the FTH - I have a feeling that Suzi Quattro was also support but could well be wrong. It was certainly an early one for me - and before I was able to  be  served at the bar  (which  meant that I actually saw the support band. First actual gig is difficult one and I truly cant remember as I used to help my dad on the  desk. The local council put on weekly gigs and his spare time job was as the incumbent sound man.

I can remember the last one - Tony Kofi and Dennis Rollins last Thursday night!

As I am likely in a slightly younger age bracket than many of the others frequenting the forum, my first record was actually purchased as a collectible and it was a number of years before I even bothered to have a record player at home (when one works at a retailer with SME Model 30.2 and Linn LP12 on demo it is hard to find a record player good enough for home).

I purchased this album in 2005 when the band was on tour. Quite an amazing live performance, and I believe I saw them two, perhaps three times afterwards. Produced by T. Bone Burnett, exceptional sounding for a shoegaze record:

R-865253-1515348157-4262.jpeg.jpg.14a7b7a1fb855ab119cbc4ee9f0179c1.jpg

• Like 1