Apple acquires Primephonic

Great. Now if Apple only allowed the use of their services integrated into third party devices.

I mean, c'mon Qobuz, you're charging 20 EUR a month with a catalogue with huge gaps - and Apple comes along with a giant library, now with classical as well, for half the price? Ouch.

• Upvote 1

For classical music Primephonic was kind of my hope in dark days. Classical music on streaming services is still a disaster, and at least they seem to understand this and create an alternative. 

Pity they too never made it to anything else than a phone or a pad. And then they sold out for big money, turned their backs to their customers by closing down the service immediately. 

Idagio remains if you want a purely classical service. Although most of my listening is to classical, I do listen to other genres too, and I find Qobuz does the job very well - indeed I consider it underpriced given the high quantity of high res material available. Apart from its easy integration into Linn kit, it has a very useful (near) USP in offering access to booklets, particularly useful for classical where texts and translations can be so helpful. And it’s nowhere near £20 per month if you pay annually. It’s £12.49.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While it might be a good thing, it is also a bad thing. As a Primephonic supporter, not only have I [and I likely speak for all Primephonic users] lost all my saved favourites and playlists, I have also lost their newly created Forum that was a magnificent place. There was no bickering fighting nor ego wrestling matches [sadly, that cannot be said the same for this site/forum]. People were respectful, kind, polite and erudite. Any discussion about music often included references to literature, art, history, etc. and all references were recognized by some in the thread and genuinely engaging conversations occurred. Many of us had developed new friendships around the world. It was shut down without notice: we never even had a chance to share email addresses with those we wanted to keep in communication with. It was a sad and sordid end to what was a very good streaming service. Its curators did a magnificent job in selecting new and old albums to post each day/week. They also contributed positively to the forum and addressed app issues as quickly as possible. Now, it will be on to the behemoth that is Apple: the support-less, indifferent beast that listens to its clients as well as Astell & Kern: and that, of course, is not at all. 

On 11/09/2021 at 14:59, Eldarboy said:

While it might be a good thing, it is also a bad thing. As a Primephonic supporter, not only have I [and I likely speak for all Primephonic users] lost all my saved favourites and playlists, I have also lost their newly created Forum that was a magnificent place. There was no bickering fighting nor ego wrestling matches [sadly, that cannot be said the same for this site/forum]. People were respectful, kind, polite and erudite. Any discussion about music often included references to literature, art, history, etc. and all references were recognized by some in the thread and genuinely engaging conversations occurred. Many of us had developed new friendships around the world. It was shut down without notice: we never even had a chance to share email addresses with those we wanted to keep in communication with. It was a sad and sordid end to what was a very good streaming service. Its curators did a magnificent job in selecting new and old albums to post each day/week. They also contributed positively to the forum and addressed app issues as quickly as possible. Now, it will be on to the behemoth that is Apple: the support-less, indifferent beast that listens to its clients as well as Astell & Kern: and that, of course, is not at all. 

That is sad indeed. It reminds me a bit of the old Linn forum... 

Well, Primephonic users have received their promised 6 month free subscription to Apple Music. This to tide us over until the integration is complete.

There was hope on my part that I could drop Tidal as my non-Classical source; however, Apple’s catalogue is anemic at best. 
Oh well……