Qobuz Pricing (UK)

Thanks for the pointer - I’d not read it yet!  I’d also happily keep the current rate if musicians got more, but I believe the deal is with the labels who seem quite happy to royally screw their performers. 

17 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I think the payment site has just crashed :$

‘troll

I had to logout and delete cookies before I could get back to the payment page - just in case anyone else has issue.

’troll

Is there a reason Qobuz is $129 in US and £129 (about $180) in UK? - might be VAT and some other tax, but superficially it looks like UK customers have to pay a premium. Though it is comparable with Apple Music at £10 a month and  £8 a month for Amazon Prime members. I’m not criticising the Qobuz pricing and agree it is not a huge a ount to pay: simply trying to understand it. 

I hope music streaming services are better than the BBC. My mother has an older iPad and now all she gets from the BBC, a service we are obliged to pay for irrespective of whether we want it, is a demand to upgrade to the latest apps: an impossibility without buying a new iPad. The ITV app is the same, but good old Sky still has an app that works on older platforms. 

if I were to use a streaming service then I think I would feel more confident with the longevity and catalogues of Apple or Amazon though I prefer the download direct model where more money goes to the artist. That said does an artist on an independent label have a higher income than one who has signed up to one of the majors? 

1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

it looks like UK customers have to pay a premium

This has always been my opinion. I don’t know now, but when launched globally, Qobuz was the same number of USD, GBP and Euros. UK generally pays more for this kind of service. I think the same applies to Tidal, Netflix, Amazon etc.

The argument I’ve seen put forward, in the past, is that the available catalogues are different in each region. We must just like expensive music and videos in the UK.

I try not to let it piss me off these days - and it’s not the amount, it’s the principle.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Additional detail
  • Like 1

The US has locally applied state specific taxes whereas the UK has consistent VAT included in pricing

1 minute ago, sunbeamgls said:

The US has locally applied state specific taxes whereas the UK has consistent VAT included in pricing

Yes, good point SGLS, although Sales Taxes in states that I visit doesn’t add up to anything like our VAT, and AFAIK euro land follows the same or similar VAT model as UK.

’troll

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes, good point SGLS, although Sales Taxes in states that I visit doesn’t add up to anything like our VAT, and AFAIK euro land follows the same or similar VAT model as UK.

’troll

yes, there are lots of other ways of gathering taxes of course.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

This has always been my opinion. I don’t know now, but when launched globally, Qobuz was the same number of USD, GBP and Euros. UK generally pays more for this kind of service. I think the same applies to Tidal, Netflix, Amazon etc.

I sometimes wonder if it may at least in part relate to simply promoting round numbers to consumers, with 10 of whatever unit somehow seeming like some sort of acceptable threshold price.

Yes, I do think in the UK we often ending up paying more as a result.

That said, and as was raised by various musicians in the UK parliament select committee on streaming, I think that the cost of streaming in any currency seems very cheap for the vast library of music that it gives us access to.

• Like 3

On 02/09/2021 at 15:52, Nestor Turton said:

Is there a reason Qobuz is $129 in US and £129 (about $180) in UK? - might be VAT and some other tax, but superficially it looks like UK customers have to pay a premium. Though it is comparable with Apple Music at £10 a month and  £8 a month for Amazon Prime members. I’m not criticising the Qobuz pricing and agree it is not a huge a ount to pay: simply trying to understand it. 

I hope music streaming services are better than the BBC. My mother has an older iPad and now all she gets from the BBC, a service we are obliged to pay for irrespective of whether we want it, is a demand to upgrade to the latest apps: an impossibility without buying a new iPad. The ITV app is the same, but good old Sky still has an app that works on older platforms. 

if I were to use a streaming service then I think I would feel more confident with the longevity and catalogues of Apple or Amazon though I prefer the download direct model where more money goes to the artist. That said does an artist on an independent label have a higher income than one who has signed up to one of the majors? 

I also received an e-mail from Qobuz last Saturday.

The reduction in Italy will be from 179.99 € to 149.99 € (12.49 € month) for an annual pre-paid subscription.

Is Spotify Hi-Fi finally arriving?

M.

Edited by Matteo

On 09/09/2021 at 10:36, Matteo said:

The reduction in Italy will be from 179.99 € to 149.99 € (12.49 € month) for an annual pre-paid subscription

Italian prices seem about the same as UK prices.

Sorry, I know nothing about Spotify. I avoided it after a friend had a strange problem when his daughter’s iPhone started to play music on his hifi even though she does not live in the same town. Apparently Spotify Connect is designed to work on either local wifi or the Internet. This feature was enough for me not to want to use Spotify.