Speaker burn in or new cables required?

uzzy

Loverly.....and I bet they are not cheap as well. Nice towel for £65. Would not want the riff-raff to get them.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ANADROL-50 said:

I know a bargain when I see one.....

this is not one of those occasions. 

Super burn in plus can only be performed at certain high end Indian restaurants. 

Super burnout plus on the other hand..... 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tuga said:

Looking at this from a different perspective, there will always be those who will want expensive wire, not because there is an audible difference, but because they may value pride of ownership and prestige in a similar way to that of owning a Tiffany lamp or a Rolex watch.

Does "pride of ownership" also mean "pride of being owned"?  :zip:

13 hours ago, tuga said:

Their merchandising webpage: https://shop.mcintoshlabs.com

Well, at least McIntosh is consistent.  This $40 USD t-shirt is expensive and tacky looking just like their equipment.  ;)

Tshirtampwitheagleback_720x.jpg?v=162636

https://shop.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-amplifier-and-bald-eagle-t-shirt

For half the price, Klassik would rather have this t-shirt direct from the Radio Shack (Tandy) website.  ;)

blk-shirt-vumeter_720x.jpg?v=1623793027

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-retro-vu-meter-t-shirt

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, bigfish786 said:

I know a bargain when I see one.....

this is not one of those occasions. 

Super burn in plus can only be performed at certain high end Indian restaurants. 

Super burnout plus on the other hand..... 

It would be nice to see a picture of this Russ Andrews burn in device at least !

Nordost provide us with a picture of their "Vidar" machine present on the MCRU website :-

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/nordost-vidar-cable-burn-in-service/

Has anybody measured a cable before and after the use of these burn in machines ?

58 minutes ago, ANADROL-50 said:

Has anybody measured a cable before and after the use of these burn in machines ?

With what.. a multimeter,  maybe a really top end scope may show slight variances in the music waveform.. but if one used test tones I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to hear anything.

I remember pieter bringing a pair of his tribute amorphous output transformers to my house, he stayed the night before we attended one of my early world designs  forum meets.

I remember connecting up these rather expensive transformers and we listened. He said they would take a few hours to burn in and by god they did. They sounded quite dull for 3-4 hours, gradually opening up.

But open up they did.

Pieter is a very skilled listener and pointed out to me various colouration's on kit that day, that no one else, including myself seemed to notice.

Both those transformers and pieters listening skills where a revelation to me.

Now something real happened to those transformers 

My view is that wire thats conducting low voltage, complicated ac waveforms, it takes a little while for all the electons to align and give complete conduction to all that waveform at all voltages.

i think the same thing applies in transformer cores

It's not about ohms readings for sure

Edited by steve 57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ANADROL-50 said:

It would be nice to see a picture of this Russ Andrews burn in device at least !

Nordost provide us with a picture of their "Vidar" machine present on the MCRU website :-

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/nordost-vidar-cable-burn-in-service/

This is from QED's 2017 "The Sound of Science" white paper (PDF here):

Conductor Chemistry

A conductor’s chemical composition is very important – the presence of trace elements such as silicon, magnesium and phosphorus decreases electrical conductivity. The most widely used copper for cables is electrolytic tough pitch (ETP) copper, which consists of extremely high purity metal plus oxygen in the range of 100-650ppm (parts per million) concentration. Oxygen is used as an alloying element and also as a scavenger as it reacts with most of the impurities in the copper. Adding around 0.02% oxygen to ETP copper increases its conductivity.

Oxygen-free copper (OFC) is produced primarily for its ability to be heat treated without embrittlement, for ease of use when welding and brazing. The acronym for oxygen-free high thermal conductivity copper, OFHC, is a registered trademark of Phelps Dodge Specialty Copper Products. OFHC is a highly refined grade of copper that contains almost no oxygen or other impurities and this is the grade employed exclusively in all QED cable products. Certified oxygen-free high thermal conductivity copper contains a minimum of 99.99% copper making it the purest metal in common use.

If the temperature and time constants are carefully controlled in an oxygen- free environment while the copper is manufactured the grain structures in the material can be reduced so that the purity of the copper increases to as much as 99.999% (termed ‘five nines’). The vast majority of QED cables, both in our speaker cable and interconnect ranges, utilise five nines copper. The IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard) gives a percentage ranking for conductivity of OFHC at around 102.4% whereas ETP coppers fall typically within the range 100-101.5% IACS. Although linear crystal coppers approaching a purity of six nines have been made in small quantities by various continuous casting or Czochralski processes, it remains prohibitively expensive for use in commercial products and, in the absence of any official IACS designation, at ambient temperatures has no conductivity advantage over its five nines counterpart. OFHC is particularly well suited to cryogenic treatment, in which the copper’s temperature is slowly reduced to below −190°C and then gradually returned to ambient, and QED takes advantage of this property by cryogenically pre-treating its high-end cable range. It is thought that the improvement in physical properties that occurs when copper is cryogenically treated results from the elimination of dislocations in the material’s microstructure which might otherwise impede the free movement of electrons throughout the crystal lattice.

• Like 1

The audiophile's priorites :mrgreen:

Worry about cables

Get a better amplifier

Get a better source

Get better speakers

Address room issues

Buy more music

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

I can’t believe some of the rubbish in this thread.  Cables burn in. They sound better after hours of use,  get used to it or have your ears cleaned.

2 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

I can’t believe some of the rubbish in this thread.  Cables burn in. They sound better after hours of use,  get used to it or have your ears cleaned.

Now now, calm down dear .. the thing is each is entitled to an opinion.  So one man's rubbish is another man's riches.  We cannot help it if your head tells you there is a difference and the one thing I have never seen is a review or a panel evaluating the same cables comparing those burned in for 50 hours and those brand new ..   

If you believe that it makes a difference then fine .. but just because others do not does not make that rubbish ...  now let me get back to working out what direction to connect them in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

You can't really judge this thread until it's fully burned in...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

now There’s a product for the Russ Andrews website. Cable thread burn in software  

👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

now There’s a product for the Russ Andrews website. Cable thread burn in software  

👍

Does the software need burning in too...? :cafe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

Does the software need burning in too...? :cafe:

Only at 1x on audiophile 24k gold Mobile Fidelity CD-Rs using burned in SCSI cables.  ;)

S_UDGCDR_5EA__14433__01152009113314-1382

• Haha 1

I used to burn in new components by playing the KLF at high volume on repeat.

Then, after 7 nights, I flew home again.

• Haha 1