WANTED; Ruark Talisman IIs

I’m tempted to buy another pair as I owned a set from new and ran them for ten years. They were excellent with a Naim NAC72/HiCap/250 and my system’s improved since so would expect even greater things of a pair. 

Edited by Jezmond
  • Like 1

The magic of the Talisman 2! A friend of mine who works in the trade kept his for years, even though he could get new models at discount, as he hadn't found anything that significantly improved on them, without spending a lot more money. Let's start the group buyback now!

• Like 1

I was offered a pair a couple of days ago in response to one of my other ‘wanted’ threads.

As luck would have it, though, they were in the one colour that won’t go with the lounge - Rosewood.

So without even getting as far as photos,etc, sadly I had to decline.

Ah well. the search goes on.

37 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

I was offered a pair a couple of days ago in response to one of my other ‘wanted’ threads.

As luck would have it, though, they were in the one colour that won’t go with the lounge - Rosewood.

Ah , A chance to re decorate the room and keep the other half happy :D:sofa:

Edited by Audio Al
  • Haha 1

Have to agree Stuart- anything but rosewood.............................................😝

2 hours ago, Audio Al said:

Ah , A chance to re decorate the room and keep the other half happy :D:sofa:

If it only were that simple!

So much oak coloured (Ercol) furniture in the lounge is the real reason.

9 hours ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

Ooh, such a pity. Ruark do rosewood beautifully.

Final bump before archiving.

Thanks

I have an immaculate pair of rosewood Talisman 2s, boxed up, one careful owner.  

But I'm keeping them..... :D

One thing I would say is that like most Ruark speakers, they need very careful partnering to make them really sing. You have to experiment loading them with shot or sand, you need to fiddle around bunging the ports, moving them closer or further away from the rear wall, etc etc.  

Much as I loved the very refined top end - quite wonderful on violin or female vocals - they don't exactly groove with heavier sounds.  A fellow owner gave up and sold his pair, describing them as "penny whistle" speakers.  A bit unfair but it depends what music you listen to I think.  

A bit of trivia!  As an ex racing cyclist, living in Essex myself, I gather Alan O'Rourke was a bit of a bikie.  I'm not sure he raced, but still a member of the community in my book.  Eddie Cook of the Hainault Road Club was editor of Jazz Journal, Pete Duker was a well known jazz musician in the 50s and 60s.  Mick Jagger was a regular in Condor's Grays Inn Road shop, he was also in the stands when Eddy Merckx broke the hour record in Mexico City.  Legendary time trial super star Alf Engers played in multiple rock bands in the 60s. 

• Like 2

There is a set of black ones posted on Facebook 4 days ago, they look good but I don't know if they come woth boxes.

• Like 2

There are a set ruark Templar 2, cherry colour, 75 of your English pounds, Abingdon, have a look on gumtree, they do have tan lines, but look pretty good to me, 👍

1 hour ago, savski said:

There are a set ruark Templar 2, cherry colour, 75 of your English pounds, Abingdon, have a look on gumtree, they do have tan lines, but look pretty good to me, 👍

Thank you for the heads up. I’ve already had a word with the seller.

That's peanuts for pair of a Templars.  

They're quite different from Talismans in my experience.  I demo'd a pair at home a long time ago, I heard another pair in a private house in Chelmsford.  Most impressive though was a pair in Rayleigh HiFi with an all Cyrus system - I can still remember the fantastically realistic upright bass which sounded like it was 8' high.  

• Like 1