Thinking of trading (less boxes)

Ceko

I have two rooms with quite a lot of audiocomponents. I’m thinking of slimming one down to bare minimum:

Trading in a Line Magnetic 216IA tube amp and proably my Chord Qutest (if I can part with it…) and some basic Klipsch speakers for:

Just the KEF LS50 wireless II!

What do you think? I’m getting kind of excited by the fact it’ll be less clutter in the room.

• Like 1

There are still quite a few wires for a pair of active KEFs.  And won’t you miss those coloured marbles on the Chord?  😉

• Like 1

If you can achieve the sound you want and achieve hifi minimalism then why not ... it can be quite liberating.

You could always avoid clutter by hiding things out of the way although I guess your valve amp won't take too kindly to being in a cabinet!

And as @Nopiano mentions, there's two power cords and an optional interlink cable between the KEF LSW II speakers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ceko said:

I have two rooms with quite a lot of audiocomponents. I’m thinking of slimming one down to bare minimum:

Trading in a Line Magnetic 216IA tube amp and proably my Chord Qutest (if I can part with it…) and some basic Klipsch speakers for:

What do you think? I’m getting kind of excited by the fact it’ll be less clutter in the room.

I’ve got a valve driven Klipsch based system. Also I’ve also got an original KEF LS50W with KEF R400b subs based system, and I will probably upgrade to the newer KEF Wirelesses at some point. So in theory I should have a good handle on answering your question. I suspect the LS50 Wireless IIs would need added subs if you wanted to not miss the dynamics of the Heresys, even though the Heresy’s bass doesn’t go that low. But then you would need another couple of mains cables and interconnects for the subs.  

6 hours ago, Nopiano said:

There are still quite a few wires for a pair of active KEFs.  And won’t you miss those coloured marbles on the Chord?  😉

Of course I’m sad losing my marbles 😋

But I did some non scientific A/B between that and my el cheapo Topping… not a lot of difference if I were to be objective. Selling the Chord would definitely hurt but it would also make for a good finance!

The other comments mention the power cables of the Kefs. That I could live without. Other option then: buy an all in one and keep the Klipsches?

PS I’m not talking Heresies. My second system has Klipsch RM51 speakers. Lovely sound in that particular room. Don’t know if the Kefs would be more versatile, i.e. listenable in a bigger room?

9 hours ago, Ceko said:

Depending on your listening habits/preferences you may wish to add a subwoofer. Other than that, give them a good listen before parting with your current system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceko said:

Of course I’m sad losing my marbles 😋

But I did some non scientific A/B between that and my el cheapo Topping… not a lot of difference if I were to be objective. Selling the Chord would definitely hurt but it would also make for a good finance!

The other comments mention the power cables of the Kefs. That I could live without. Other option then: buy an all in one and keep the Klipsches?

PS I’m not talking Heresies. My second system has Klipsch RM51 speakers. Lovely sound in that particular room. Don’t know if the Kefs would be more versatile, i.e. listenable in a bigger room?

Ah, the RM51s are obviously a different kettle of fish compared with Heresys. More like my RP600-Ms which work great in a smaller room. But if you’re using a Qutest and Line Magnetic amp with them I would have thought that’s overkill. The KEFs scale to a larger room if you use subs because the active crossover in the LS50s rolls off the bass and the main speakers have an easier time. There are some pictures of my KEFs in a large room on this thread:

Keep the Klipsch, and swap to either the gato in the classifieds or maybe even more discrete, a BlueSound PowerNode, as the PowerNode is about the same size as 2 stacked paperback books. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Keep the Klipsch, and swap to either the gato in the classifieds or maybe even more discrete, a BlueSound PowerNode, as the PowerNode is about the same size as 2 stacked paperback books. 

I find the Powernode quite interesting. Does anyone have experience with it? Especially the wifi connection, is that stable? It’ll be situated in a closed room without a router. (RPI picking up good signal though)

I remember with the Node 2i I once had that I had to switch off the 5G function on my router to make it happen.

You could always stick a range extender in the room and they usually incorporate atleast one ethernet socket so no need for WiFi or 5G disabling. 

On 05/09/2021 at 23:09, Ceko said:

Why change the speakers if you like them?  Look at all-in-one electronics to reduce your box count.  I used to have valve monos, preamp, CD player, streamer and ripper/HD store.  Far too many boxes, so now have a NAD M33 that offers all I need and (after buying or home demo'ing a dozen other amps, found it offers exceptional sound quality, abundant features and the BluOS app that's as good as any.   Peter

• Like 1

…..the 2020 version of a 1970’s Music Centre :nerves:

Don’t knock it.  Just brought a one box Goldnote amp. Excellent - less cables, less boxes. Does almost everything.

I really could not be arsed with radio connected speakers .. you have to have power sockets for each and a cable run to feed the power.  So with speaker cables you have to run them perhaps under carpets or buy the skirting boards with trunking in them (they sell them to clip over your existing skirting boards too so you do not have to rip them off and start again) or you can do what I did - I drilled holes to the outside at each end of the lounge and run the speaker wires down the outside of the house (it is the small gap between me and the neighbour so It is not an eye sore as you are never down the side of the house).

There is just something satisfying about hard wiring :rockin:

On 12/09/2021 at 08:01, MF 1000 said:

…..the 2020 version of a 1970’s Music Centre :nerves:

In the 1970s a preamp needed a full-size box to accommodate all the resistors, transisters, capacitors and maybe even valves.  Similiarly the tuner needed a big box, as did the CDP (if invented), cassette machine, etc.  Now, each basic componant (streamer, DAC, DSP, preamp, power amp, etc) is so compact, they can all share one enclosure and even share the same power supply.  Now this has the additional benefit of ditching all those costly interconnects and the untidy snake-pit behind your multi-box stack of kit.  And remember that the cable that IMPROVES sound quality has not been invented - and NEVER WILL.  Go out and borrow a top line single box device and compare with your present system - you may surprise yourself.  My single box does justice to my $32K speakers - in fact I can only afford such luxury as I don't need to invest in multiple fancy cases and loads of cables.