Which speakers for 'modestly' powered Class D Amps....

Weeman1973

I want something to partner my Lumin M1 streaming amp as most of my listening is digital these days.

I’ve got several speakers I currently use but can’t get to what I feel sounds right to me.

The best I’ve tried is with my Davone Rays but I’m keeping them in another system with my Gato DIA400S.

The Lumin is currently paired with some Harbeth Compact 7’s which I can find a little fatiguing after a while listening to my preferred rock / metal etc.

Transversely my Spendor S5e’s can sound a bit too laid back at times and a little fuzzy to my ears.

My other speakers are some XTZ 99.38 which I feel need more power than the Lumin can offer (60w into 8 ohms, 100w 4 ohm class D) having 10” woofers so was wondering which speakers I should be considering with the Lumin?

The rig is set up in a spare room where I listen with the speakers along the longest wall in a 4m x 3m room so I'm after something that sounds good at fairly relatively modest volume with good Bass extension.

I understand speakers are subjective and ideally I'd get to listen to a few pairs before taking the plunge but was wondering what other wammers are using in similar circumstances?

Was thinking something like some Klipsch or similar high sensitivity speakers might hit the mark?

Edited by Weeman1973

The Lumin delivers 60 watts into 8ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms.  It is hard to recommend what speakers as we all have our views on what sounds right.

If i was in your shoes I would be looking for a speaker with 89db efficiency or greater (as you like the Davons with it and that is their rated efficiency).

If i was in your shoes I would be looking for a second hand pair of Art Loudspeakers (I am biased) but for example the Art Emotion monitor is a fantastically intimate speaker with an effortless natural sound .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324736350138?hash=item4b9bcb77ba:g:UmcAAOSwep9hBvHS

Or the Art Decco 10 .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255033002678?hash=item3b6126cab6:g:MJEAAOSwqvZg2dUb  a more conventional three way that has its magic (there are few users in here I believe) 

At the end of the day you need to get your ears out there and choose what they like .. or take a punt second hand at a price you know you can move the on for with little or no loss.  Both the above are in the 90db sensitivity area.  

Can you try the Gato with the Harbeths and see if they still sound too fatiguing?

I did try the Gato briefly with my Harbeth’s but quickly went back to the Davones although being honest that was in my lounge where the Gato resides now so will ha s to take the Gato upstairs to my listening room and have a go that way

The Lumin delivers 60 watts into 8ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms.  It is hard to recommend what speakers as we all have our views on what sounds right.

If i was in your shoes I would be looking for a speaker with 89db efficiency or greater (as you like the Davons with it and that is their rated efficiency).

If i was in your shoes I would be looking for a second hand pair of Art Loudspeakers (I am biased) but for example the Art Emotion monitor is a fantastically intimate speaker with an effortless natural sound .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324736350138?hash=item4b9bcb77ba:g:UmcAAOSwep9hBvHS

Or the Art Decco 10 .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255033002678?hash=item3b6126cab6:g:MJEAAOSwqvZg2dUb  a more conventional three way that has its magic (there are few users in here I believe) 

At the end of the day you need to get your ears out there and choose what they like .. or take a punt second hand at a price you know you can move the on for with little or no loss.  Both the above are in the 90db sensitivity area.  

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the Art Decco’s that Elite have but at the minute they’re out of budget, particularly as I wouldn’t be able to hear them without buying first as well

8 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

I did try the Gato briefly with my Harbeth’s but quickly went back to the Davones although being honest that was in my lounge where the Gato resides now so will ha s to take the Gato upstairs to my listening room and have a go that way

I'm just trying to figure what is going on and get a handle on your taste. Harbeths shouldn't induce listening fatigue.

I don't find Gato 250S + Harbeth fatiguing - so if you do, that might help with giving a recommendation.

• Upvote 1

I'm just trying to figure what is going on and get a handle on your taste. Harbeths shouldn't induce listening fatigue.
I don't find Gato 250S + Harbeth fatiguing - so if you do, that might help with giving a recommendation.

Thank you and a great suggestion which I’ll give a go hopefully later in the week when I have chance to move things around.

I’ve had the Spendor’s in place for the last few days and this evening gone back to the Harbeth’s and they are so much more revealing.

Perhaps it’s that I’m referring to when I say fatigue and that too much of said clarity, mixed with my choice of music is a little too much for my delicate ears (years of drumming with shrill cymbals I’m sure hasn’t helped my hearing…)

Just listening to a bit of Sheryl Crow live now and sounding very mellow through the Lumin / Harbeth combo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

Thank you and a great suggestion which I’ll give a go hopefully later in the week when I have chance to move things around.

I’ve had the Spendor’s in place for the last few days and this evening gone back to the Harbeth’s and they are so much more revealing.

Perhaps it’s that I’m referring to when I say fatigue and that too much of said clarity, mixed with my choice of music is a little too much for my delicate ears (years of drumming with shrill cymbals I’m sure hasn’t helped my hearing…)

Just listening to a bit of Sheryl Crow live now and sounding very mellow through the Lumin / Harbeth combo

Harbeths may not be fatiguing per se - but are very revealing. If you like a lot of what they do, but want something a little less open - Spendor Classic might work. For a modern speaker - Q Acoustics Concept 300/500 also might work, if the Lumin can comfortably drive them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Harbeths may not be fatiguing per se - but are very revealing. If you like a lot of what they do, but want something a little less open - Spendor Classic might work. For a modern speaker - Q Acoustics Concept 300/500 also might work, if the Lumin can comfortably drive them.

Simply trying some timber stands (if you dont already)  is worth consideration ?

9 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Simply trying some timber stands (if you dont already)  is worth consideration ?

Could well help - but I have no direct experience. I use Something Solid.

11 hours ago, garn63 said:

Thanks for that, do you think Wood over Metal would make a significant difference?

I haven't tried wooden stands, using some unbranded filled steel ones which aren't ideal but do give them a solid base at least. 

These then sit on granite slabs which have spikes going through the carpet to the floorboards underneath. I think they sit maybe 15cm too high on the currents stands so would love to try the correct sized, wooden stands but not sure I'd risk the £400 or so layout on the off chance they may / may not make a difference.

16 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

Thanks for that, do you think Wood over Metal would make a significant difference?

Not really. You want a solid support, that's all. Just don't tell the speakers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weeman1973 said:

I haven't tried wooden stands, using some unbranded filled steel ones which aren't ideal but do give them a solid base at least. 

These then sit on granite slabs which have spikes going through the carpet to the floorboards underneath. I think they sit maybe 15cm too high on the currents stands so would love to try the correct sized, wooden stands but not sure I'd risk the £400 or so layout on the off chance they may / may not make a difference.

Try some railway sleepers (solid oak) with some spikes/feet & see what you think ?  I quite like the change in sound with timber & it can remove an edginess but with a slightly softer/ natural sound. Maybe try it cos one doesnt always have to kit swap ?  Good luck. M.

• Like 1

The Lumin is a fairly harsh amplifier, most of their gear is harsh having owned quite a few bits before giving up with them,  therefore combining the amp with Harbeths I would have thought would have been a good choice! Evidently not.

I would try Q Acoustics Concept 300's. They have a lovely modern crisp warmth and look better than any other speaker on the market, and work in small rooms really well (my room is only slightly bigger than yours and these were by far the best speakers I've ever owned). It could be worth taking your amp to a QA dealer to try it out with the Concepts. Plenty of dealers around as they are *that* good.

24 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Try some railway sleepers (solid oak) with some spikes/feet & see what you think ?  I quite like the change in sound with timber & it can remove an edginess but with a slightly softer/ natural sound. Maybe try it cos one doesnt always have to kit swap ?  Good luck. M.

IME. Stands can very much affect the sound of speakers.....whether that is Solid Metal/Open/Filled/Wooden - but I wouldn't commit significant money without hearing it first.

I have certainly read that Harbeths (best on Open Stands) sound different on Something Solid vs TonTraeger or Hifi Racks.

A cheap way to find out - is if Ikea has a stool that will suit the speaker.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 2