Which speakers for 'modestly' powered Class D Amps....

Weeman1973

31 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

There's another I've always wanted to try.

There's an older one for sale on AoS which I keep getting drawn to....

ECI 3, but particularly ECI 5 are robust, powerful and musical - highly recommended. One of the few AB amps I could tolerate with forward sounding speakers, like older Focals and the old Kef iQ/XQ/Refs.

FWIW. I would put these Amps in the following order of (my) preference:

1. ECI 5

2. Arcam A39

3. ECI 3

4. Arcam A38

Edited by CnoEvil

21 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

Thanks but that's well over budget

What about the Bluesound Powernode 2i? I’ve never heard any Bluesound stuff, but the Node 2i seems very popular on this forum.

Edited by rdale

13 minutes ago, rdale said:

What about the Bluesound Powernode 2i? I’ve never heard any Bluesound stuff, but the Node 2i seems very popular on this forum.

The Node Streamer is not at all forward or analytical sounding - and Nad are not known for that in their Amps, either. IIRC. Their new version is also more powerful @ 80 Watts

A bit of a curve ball but do you think the Lumin's harshness might be tempered slightly by  a pair of Klipsch's?

There' a pair of old KG3.5 (8" Driver, Horn Tweeter) not too far from me that I wouldn't mind listening to

Edited by Weeman1973

25 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

A bit of a curve ball but do you think the Lumin's harshness might be tempered slightly by  a pair of Klipsch's?

I would say the opposite.

• Upvote 2

On 06/09/2021 at 12:06, Weeman1973 said:

Was thinking something like some Klipsch or similar high sensitivity speakers might hit the mark?

You thought right. Klipsch are my fav budget pick these days.

I have a set of 41s here now. They do sound like live music. They are budget wonders in my opinion. The horns to me do make these speakers a bit special. Such great all round speakers and musical.

If you want more bass go bigger or just add a cheap sub! For me I cant recommend them enough and they are relatively cheap!

The better the source the better they sound.

• Upvote 1

What Class D technology does your Lumin use?  Perhaps it's the amp rather than the speakers that needs consideration.  My streamer / amp uses a Purifi Eigentakt Class D module and it sounds very good with my Avantgarde Duo speakers - far better than most A or AB ones I've had in my system.