When a hobby turns into obsession

bigrod

On 06/09/2021 at 19:04, tuga said:

I have one short DIY and one long Cyrus pair of ICs, one short DNM and one long Ixos pair of speaker cables, one short Lindy and one long Fisual USB cable, two Lindy kettle leads, six Ethernet cables from Lindy and Belkin, one short and one long Lindy plastic opticals. Half of those are being used, didn’t pay more the £100 for the whole loom.

We are neck and neck then. I have one stock power cable from who knows what, an old braided set of speakers cables from a friend, 10m of AudioQuest industrial type 4, and 10m of Amazon cheapies.  Just under €100 I think.  MInd you, I do have a bunch of tubes here for a rainy day. :)

• Haha 1

Often wondered what is meant by “room treatment “ , 

In a normal domestic environment with wives and girlfriends and partners unless they are as bonkers as yourself there’s not a lot you can do ,other than place your speakers where you like to listen to them .

I know for certain Diane won’t have stuff stuck on walls , or tucked in corners .. In fact after I have a session on my main system when I pull the Karas out , she pushes them back for “aesthetics” lol ….

And it’s fine if you have a blank canvas with windows and doors in the right place , and good flooring …

Houses aren’t built for HiFi

I have been fortunate with the mancave floor and walls but it still has to look aesthetically pleasing to Diane when it’s completed..

At the moment she is pleased although I always get “ you’ve got too much stuff”

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Lol, you guys are nuts 😂 

Surely it’s relative to the room they are in? But outside? 🤔

Well, I used it to show my Mrs that I’m not that bad with this hobby after all 😂

Glad to be of service :).

My plan was to try to get a similar set of measurements done on my Meadowlark Shearwater speakers this morning before the rain came. I got the first speaker done fine but when I got to the second I found that the mid/bass driver was dead :(. I last used it at the end of June when I moved it out of my lounge to redecorate but it's been in my garage since then, which I'd thought should be fine over the summer. Not sure if it somehow got damaged being moved or because of where it was stored. That said, this speaker still had its original driver whereas I have previously had to replace the equivalent driver in the other speaker. 

I'm not sure whether to spend ~£150 on a new driver or finally 'retire' the speakers now. 

• Sad 1

I have a small suitcase full of cables. And 36 turntables in the house currently.

I am reliably informed that I passed from "hobby" to "obsession" long ago...🥴

• Haha 4

36 turntables could be considered an illness ?  :)  Recycle them & turn another 30 people on to turntables ?  Dont wait....you can collect something new when they've gone.  😲

57 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

I have a small suitcase full of cables. And 36 turntables in the house currently.

I am reliably informed that I passed from "hobby" to "obsession" long ago...🥴

:cool::D:testy1:

I don't see anything wrong with owning 36 turntables... :D

Just a curious question though, Adam, do you actually use them all (in rotation, perhaps?) or are some strictly for show? Are they even all in one piece and working? I see you list the TX-1000 in your profile so is that one permanently in place in your system?

Is there really any difference between a hobby and an obsession?

Asking for a friend...

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, bigrod said:

Houses aren’t built for HiFi

Modern ones certainly aren't. They are designed and built by accountants, and as such aren't much use to anyone.

Old ones aren't either because people didn't have HiFi in those days. However a lot of the really old designs seem to be a bit more HiFi-friendly (with the exception of tiny cottages which are so small you end up sitting on one of the speakers).

You'd think the best designs would date from 1960 to late 1980s because that was the period in which most people would have wanted HiFi or a stereo system of some kind. However I'm not sure architects took much notice (they usually don't, I think they have to have 2/3 of their brain cells removed before they are allowed to become professional architects).

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

Just a curious question though, Adam, do you actually use them all (in rotation, perhaps?) or are some strictly for show? Are they even all in one piece and working? I see you list the TX-1000 in your profile so is that one permanently in place in your system?

They don't work very well unless they are used in rotation doncha no...:whistle:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jules_S said:

I see you list the TX-1000 in your profile so is that one permanently in place in your system?

I doubt he can find it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jules_S said:

Neither do I! And to be strictly fair, 'only' 33 of them are mine - the others are just passing through for repair/restoration.

To answer your question, the TX-1000 is permanently set up in the lounge and it is the one I use the most. In my listening room I have space for two in operation - one is the Michell Gyro SE that I use in my reviewing system and the other changes according to my mood. My Yamaha GT-2000 was there for a long time but it was cleared off last week to make way for the turntable I'm currently reviewing. When that goes, I might stick something else in for a while.

The others are either sitting on side shelves in the listening room, boxed up in the loft, in my workshop awaiting fettling or sneakily hidden under the bed in one of the spare rooms (please don't tell Mrs. B - she hasn't spotted it yet! 🙃 )

Ironically, for someone who does own so many turntables, I only regularly listen to a handful. Obviously the sensible thing to do would be to sell some and i have considered this, but then I lay down for a bit and the nasty feeling went away...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, lazycat said:

I doubt he can find it.

To be fair, you can't really miss it!

• Like 2

Years ago I spent an afternoon listening to this system comprising of over a dozen TTs, all of them connected to a custom preamp. Soundwise I was disappointed, particularly by the TAD 2402s (driven by Pioneer M-Z1s).

AbC6WZb.jpg

lB9d5wj.jpg

Edited by tuga

That's just one :(IMG-20210909-WA0000.thumb.jpg.35a243a503de17445510a29c49c422cb.jpg