Older Linn system

I may have a line on an older system complete with cables, remotes, etc.  It consists of a Majik-1 w/phono amp, Mimik CD, and a pair of Keilidhs.  The previous owner passed earlier this year and the family wants to get rid of it. I will know more tomorrow.  Not sure of the final price just yet as I have not seen it in person.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a second system - and one that strays not far from what you already have, then a Mimik/Majik-1/Keilidh is exactly that. I've always considered the Classik to be a one box version of a Mimik/Majik-1. Sure, there are some sonic advantages to the separates but on the whole the listening experience to the two isn't that different (I've had very similar - and still use a Classik regularly).

As speakers for a second system the Keilidhs can be taken a long way. They respond well to being taken active and I'm listening to mine now - driven by ASH and Akurate Exaktbox-i (Kat).

I've no idea about the spares situation for a Mimik - I would check out the feasibility of being able to source (and fit) at least a new laser as the current one could well be 20 years plus in age by now. Nor am I sure what power supply is in the Majik-1 - others may well be able to help. ceilidhs age well though!

If you are thinking that the Mimik and Majik-1 would replace your Classik to drive the 5140s then no, stick with what you have, save your money, buy an LK140 instead and use the Classik to control it.

Well I finally got this all ironed out and drove down to Phx (150 miles each way) and picked this stuff up.  I haven't had a chance to clean any of it up yet, but other than a little wear it looks good.  As mentioned, Majik integrated amp with MM Phono card, Mimik CD drive, and the Keilidh speakers with bases in black ash.  As a plus it came with the remote, All Linn cables (2 pair -1 meter RCA) and a set of K400 speaker cables (didn't measure but appear to be 6-8 feet

I picked up the whole lot for $500.  I told the wife I was buying it to flip, but I may have to keep it for awhile, just to make sure it works properly.IMG_6911.thumb.jpeg.81f4b59ee156b84a90075a40c7f7ac7e.jpegIMG_6912.thumb.jpeg.ef940689f818591b4e1650851bc631b9.jpegIMG_6914.jpeg.c11b03841c52eb94a15a3389914dc315.jpegIMG_6913.jpeg.090f9365a4708d029a9cb89b22ef9365.jpegIMG_6915.jpeg.595f4d74ea0fda80947fabd1c2bd3a97.jpegIMG_6918.jpeg.7939c22059e1ad19a94624b5a3183ef6.jpeg

Edited by rjinaz86323
  • Like 2

Just for info should you be unaware but the Majik can be set for either MM or MC just by changing the position of an internal connector.

Thx for that info.  As of now I am not getting the phono inputs to work.  I will have to pull the cover and see what I can see.  I spent the day cleaning and testing and this is the only issue I have found.  I do need to replace the dust covers on the speakers though, and I had to resolver a couple of the speaker plugs as I was getting some noise when I moved the speaker cable.  I will also do a little cleaning of the Keilidhs and touch up with some new black ash stain.

If you do a search for the Majik service manual it will show you which pins need to be connected for mm or mc, if the connector is missing then that'll be why your phono input isn't working. The manual also shows you how to fit the aktiv boards too should you want to go down that route.

great thx

I need to replace the dust covers on the Keilidh's also.  Got some coming in the next few days.  Getting everything all cleaned up.

• 2 weeks later...

Dust covers all replaced. Now to refinish the cabinet

a770ffa059b335aa274f325a7ca4c7ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I removed the shorting pin and hit the posts with a little sandpaper and reinstalled.  Phono works great now.  True Black stain arrived yesterday so now to get to work on the cabinets.

• Upvote 1

yes to the mesh covers on the hi freq.  The dust covers were all damaged on the mid-bass, so I replaced them.  I realize they are not Linn style covers, but they serve the purpose.