Google Ads

Moomintroll

My whole system is Apple, and I am starting to see ads as well

I don’t use Google as my search engine

Edited by Paulssurround

Too much of a coincidence for it not to be - but it is seriously annoying.

Yes tres annoying hovering at the bottom of the screen a bit like trying to swat flies from💩

Yes, extremely annoying, although there is no reason the owners should run the forum as a charity for distressed audio buffs! Back in the day I used to pay subs to help avoid being blasted with ads but stopped when the forum was (temporarily) closed down. One would hope that those currently paying subs are being spared the pop ups.

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

My whole system is Apple, and I am starting to see ads as well

I don’t use Google as my search engine

No Google Paul? I didn't realise there was anything else out there that was any good.

'Dad, whats the capital of Iceland?'

'Just Bing it son'. Said no one ever :)

Edited by Billz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Billz said:

No Google Paul? I didn't realise there was anything else out there that was any good.

'Dad, whats the capital of Iceland?'

'Just Bing it son'. Said no one ever :)

I use the search engine “Duck Duck Go”

No pop up ads, and they don’t track you.

Search results seem to be even better than Google. Google filters the results, so you don’t see a lot of content that may of interest  to you

1 minute ago, Paulssurround said:

I use the search engine “Duck Duck Go”

No pop up ads, and they don’t track you.

Search results seem to be even better than Google. Google filters the results, so you don’t see a lot of content that may of interest  to you

This. Me too.

Edited by Amormusic
  • Like 1

Just now, Amormusic said:

This. Me too.

Google sucks with all their advertising. I browse on my phone. Also be very careful with updates to apps and rejecting stupid requests for data. Many of them want to track every aspect of everything you do. I always review and mostly reject these.

2 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

This. Me too.

I love that there are no pop up ads, on Duck Duck Go, or ads targeted to what I just searched for on the web

• Haha 1

It isn'tt the Google footer that annoys me-  as I agree, it isn't a charity. It is the great big banner header to some game thing that I was surprised at. At first I thought that it was malware of some form as it just fills the screen (well, my screen anyway).

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Dasher said:

It isn'tt the Google footer that annoys me-  as I agree, it isn't a charity. It is the great big banner header to some game thing that I was surprised at. At first I thought that it was malware of some form as it just fills the screen (well, my screen anyway).

Agreed, a certain amount of advertising is OK and necessary to fund this place. It’s how intrusive it is that winds people up. It’s a pity this thread isn’t in the car park, because if it was I could state what I said when that “darned” pop up came up for the umpteenth time!

Hopefully admin will have a think about this; if the traffic goes down they won’t be of much interest to the advertisers and as we’ve discovered in the past when people leave not many of them return.

Best regards to the owners and I don’t blame you for trying to up the income, but please bear in mind there is no shortage of hifi forums.

6 hours ago, cre009 said:

May or may not be related to this

I too noticed this, and I too (rightly or wrongly) made the same connection when ads started popping up.

Clearly, hosting and managing a web forum does not come for free, and if no charge is made then income has to be generated from somewhere. However, even with this understanding I am sure that I'm not alone in finding intrusive web pop-up adverts one of the (albeit first world problems) most irritating day-to-day distractions. We on this forum are, however, a relatively small number. So even if the option were available for a small subscription charge to eliminate ads I'd doubt that we have sufficient scale of, say, Spotify or ITV, to make it a small enough charge and still cover costs.

I'm afraid I've seen it before on other fora, where numbers dwindle (for whatever reason) and it then just quietly disappears. I do hope not, as I very much value the interaction that we have on here!