Am I doing something wrong?

Rassy

I have recently acquired Totem Mani-2 Sigs (my dream speakers) and paired them with a Plinius Hautonga amp (supposedly 200W/ch).

I have bi-wired the amp to the speakers. (There are two sets of speaker outputs on the amp).

I am cranking up the volume control way past half way to get a loud enough sound. Are the Totems that inefficient?

Thoughts please.

BTW I am only using a CD player at present, via the RCA inputs to the amp. Would XLR be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1. The Totems do have pretty low Sensitivity @ 85dB....but not unusual for a small speaker.....though measured at 84 dB, which is on the low side.

2. You cannot equate the amount a volume knob is turned, with how near full volume it is. Some amps are calibrated that full volume is achieved by around 12 O'clock, while others are much more linear and progressive. I am not familiar with your Amp, so don't know how its volume knob is calibrated.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Rassy said:

I have recently acquired Totem Mani-2 Sigs (my dream speakers) and paired them with a Plinius Hautonga amp (supposedly 200W/ch).

I have bi-wired the amp to the speakers. (There are two sets of speaker outputs on the amp).

I am cranking up the volume control way past half way to get a loud enough sound. Are the Totems that inefficient?

Thoughts please.

BTW I am only using a CD player at present, via the RCA inputs to the amp. Would XLR be better?

Are you sure you have the speaker cable connected correctly to your amp? I biwire my speakers but have the two positives connected together and inserted into the amp, equally I have both the minus connected together and inserted into one speaker terminal of the amp.  

Edited by hiesteem

• Administrator

There were multiple duplicates of this topic so deleted the ones with the least replies . Apologies if you were culled . 

38 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Are you sure you have the speaker cable connected correctly to your amp? I biwire my speakers but have the two positives connected together and inserted into the amp, equally I have both the minus connected together and inserted into one speaker terminal of the amp.  

Hautonga has 2 pairs of speaker terminals for each channel  for bi-wiring 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DUVET II said:

There were multiple duplicates of this topic so deleted the ones with the least replies . Apologies if you were culled . 

Bedspread, is that you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rassy said:

Thoughts please.

There is an informative review by what hifi on the mani totem 2 sigs. They say they take a lot of driving due to the two bass/mid units working in tandem. I think it might shed some light on loudness and the speakers not liking to be driven to hard.

Edited by hiesteem

Can you take a pic of your connections on both ends, including ic’s and source indicator? And just a thought, which player are you using? Does it have a gain/volume control built in?

Edited by tackleberry

The position of a volume control is meaningless basically, so there is no comparison possible with other equipment.

The question would not be what position you have to have the control in to be a reasonable volume. If there is any problem, it will be whether you can get it 'too loud' when you turn the control further. If you can, it's almost certainly fine. If it starts to distort or sound wrong well before it gets overly loud, turn it off and start checking things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

'There are five line-level inputs with the option of accepting a signal via balanced XLR for the input marked CD.

Make sure the toggle switch next to this solitary balanced input is set correctly; it’s possible to get a sound through the single-ended option, even if the toggle is set for balanced XLR.

Do this and you’ll be disappointed with the results. Double-check the switch is in the right place before getting frustrated with the amplifier, recording or system.'

From here:

https://www.whathifi.com/plinius/hautonga/review

My very inefficient ATC speakers (19’s) are driven by a Go,denote 125 watt amp ( changing profile now).  On a scale of 1 to 100 the volume is around 75. Inefficient speakers require volume.

• Like 1

• Administrator

What CD player is it please. I have had a Plinius power amp which was a 125 watts and the last thing it lacked was grunt. Like someone has hinted at if the CD player has a fixed or variable output . 

I’ve run a 1970s pioneer into Gale 401s which have 4 drivers including 2 8” base drivers that run in parallel .. inherently difficult to drive being an infinite baffle design  but it’s almost full volume with the dial at 11 o’clock .They we’re called the amp killers due to the low impedance loads exerted on partnering electronics…