The cost of standby on your amp

leenorris78

3 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Griff, I have my ARC actives pluggged into remote control switched sockets. The 150s are even more of a pain to reach the rear switch than the 40s. Every now and then I still forget to switch them off before walking out of the room but mostly I do now remember to switch them off using the remote control device.

Mine are in the same distributor as the rest of my equipment. That's hidden away with no switch.

It's not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

3 hours ago, Griff500 said:

There’s nothing wrong with that of course.

It’s impressive how you managed to say what you do with your speakers without talking down to the other person.  There wasn’t even the slightest hint of virtue signalling!👍

I hid my disappointment at your cavalier attitude to saving the planet based on your need to avoid lower back stress that well? Result!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Griff500 said:

Bloody hell! Those wind turbines aren’t very good. 😵

But they are the future! You read it here first.

For the avoidance of doubt, as they day, I can hardly get all sanctimonious about this, as in Kendal I have a Class A beast of an amp which when doing its job is thirstier than a thirsty thing on a very hot day… though on standby is remarkably restrained.

Actually, scrap that, cue sanctimony: 100% of my electrickery both in Kendal and here in Leicestershire is renewable. As is the electrickery at the gym I own. Price premium is zero-to-modest; seriously, I was pleasantly surprised. Hardly a hair-shirted existence then but we do what we can while still enjoying life including music.

27 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I hid my disappointment at your cavalier attitude to saving the planet based on your need to avoid lower back stress that well? Result!

In fairness, nobody here has any idea what I do regarding this sort of thing, except for the fact that I leave my speakers on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

But they are the future! You read it here first.

Fugly things.

13 hours ago, Griff500 said:

In fairness, nobody here has any idea what I do regarding this sort of thing, except for the fact that I leave my speakers on.

Why do you leave the speakers switched on? Those ATC amp packs chew through about 40W each at idle.

1 hour ago, Blzebub said:

Why do you leave the speakers switched on? Those ATC amp packs chew through about 40W each at idle.

See his earlier post.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Griff500 said:

My amps are in my speakers and use, apparently, 40W per speaker when idle. I can't be doing with trying to access the power switch on each of them each time I want to listen to music and then again when I have finished.

Ah, that could explain why ATC never bothered to reply to my email when I asked them how much power my 19As use at idle. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Well my ATC150s use about 48W per speaker (just measured).

Not much more than mine.

What are the devices you use to control this by remote control? Any impact on sound quality? I am aware that you are a new convert to the benefits of power cables but I suspect you have not (yet) tried them on your speakers?

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

Not much more than mine.

What are the devices you use to control this by remote control? Any impact on sound quality? I am aware that you are a new convert to the benefits of power cables but I suspect you have not (yet) tried them on your speakers?

I use something like these but these actual ones. (Ignore the text which says you need a 12V, 23A battery. It needs either a AA or AAA.)

There are plenty on the market.

I have not noticed any sound quality issues but the 150Actives are in a small room at the moment until I can convert one of my barns to be a suitable size listening space!

Also, I have not done any more on the power cable investigations in my other system never mind thinking about them for the ATCs!

F1A2C990-F5E8-4168-A5D8-A203EE5205CD.thumb.png.6d4f462543c96723e050c0f551f0767f.png

22 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Griff, I have my ARC actives pluggged into remote control switched sockets. 

For someone so focused on eliminating RFI from their system, I am somewhat taken aback by this revelation! 

• Haha 1

I like my system to sound as natural and organic as possible. After a moderate degree of burn-in, extensive research and exhaustive testing, I’ve found these devices to be the best. They don’t emit RFI but can facilitate sporadic accusations; they don’t consume electricity, from batteries or otherwise, but do seem to work best on red wine.

IMG_8688.thumb.jpeg.df643706667052db6d3181cccbed7885.jpeg

Edited by TheFlash